Olsen Gets A Free Ride on A.J. Like Comments

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/basebal...-sports-marlins

I'm surprised that the day has gone by and nobody has brought this up. Olsen making comments about the fans(or lack of) down here. Similar to what we've heard in the past from others, like A.J., who got lambasted here for voicing his opinion. Personally, I have no problem with what Olsen and others have said. It's a fact. But there are some here who like to blast players for making fan comments. I'm surprised Olsen got a free ride on this one.

went to all 3 games and marlins fan easily outnumbered mets fans the only problem is we literally had nothing to cheer about during the whole 3 game series so 5000 thousand fans who are cheering can easily sound as if they own the stadium when 20000 fans are heading for the gates after getting their a?sses kicked again, again , and again . btw over 34k on sats game we were loud and supportive with our thunder sticks :)

I have no problem with what he said. He didn't say anything horrible.

I was at Friday & Saturday's game. I felt outnumbered. And by the way, I hate it when the Mets fans start their chant, our fans just boo. Why not just start a big loud "Let's Go Marlins" chant to drown theirs out.

went to all 3 games and marlins fan easily outnumbered mets fans the only problem is we literally had nothing to cheer about during the whole 3 game series so 5000 thousand fans who are cheering can easily sound as if they own the stadium when 20000 fans are heading for the gates after getting their a?sses kicked again, again , and again . btw over 34k on sats game we were loud and supportive with our thunder sticks :)

I wanted to shove my thundersticks up a few blue and orange asses.

like with AJ, I could care less what they say

just pitch well and I won't complain

I agree. As I said, I have no problem with the comments. It's a fact. It's naive to think that 99% of the players don't feel the same as Olsen or A.J., they just don't talk about it.

As long as you pitch or play well, it's fine with me to have the players speak the truth.

What struck me was the double-standard between A. J. and Olsen. A.J. was roundly lambasted here for his comments, though he was a very worthwhile contributor to the team, apart from his last month. I really liked A.J. and I really like Olsen. Just couldn't let this one pass without bringing up the double standard.

I'm surprised that the day has gone by and nobody has brought this up. Olsen making comments about the fans(or lack of) down here. Similar to what we've heard in the past from others, like A.J., who got lambasted here for voicing his opinion. Personally, I have no problem with what Olsen and others have said. It's a fact. But there are some here who like to blast players for making fan comments. I'm surprised Olsen got a free ride on this one.

Most fans believe the hype and expect him to be a star so they give him a free ride on everything.

AJ was a good pitcher for the Marlins. The same thing cannot be said about Olsen.

Most fans believe the hype and expect him to be a star so they give him a free ride on everything.

AJ was a good pitcher for the Marlins. The same thing cannot be said about Olsen.

Olsen is still young and has more than enough time to improve, A.J. has reached his

peak and he ain't all that good.

Too early to say that Olsen has not been a good pitcher for the Marlins so far. He's had limited service time, and so far I think he's done a decent job.

Olsen is still young and has more than enough time to improve, A.J. has reached his

Well AJ goes deeper into games and allows fewer runs. The chances that Olsen will have a better career than AJ (based on innings per start and ERA+) are slim and none.

Too early to say that Olsen has not been a good pitcher for the Marlins so far. He's had limited service time, and so far I think he's done a decent job.

He has been around for the equivalent of a year and a half and so far his ERA is a bit worse than league average and his innings per start are ridiculously low. Below average pitcher so far in his career.

Well AJ goes deeper into games and allows fewer runs. The chances that Olsen will have a better career than AJ (based on innings per start and ERA+) are slim and none.

He has been around for the equivalent of a year and a half and so far his ERA is a bit worse than league average and his innings per start are ridiculously low. Below average pitcher so far in his career.

He's only 23, chillax.

AJ was 7-9 his first two years here and 49-50 over his 7 years here. Scotty is 17-15 in his short time here. AJ rarely would let his ego accept advice from the coaches or his catcher while Scotty is at least starting to listen and settle down. AJ was also a club house cancer. I'll take a pitcher that is coachable and has a winning record over one that isn't and didn't. I predict if Scotty is here 7 years he will far surpass AJ's numbers with us.

You absolutely hit the nail on the head. There was nothing to cheer about. I thought the Marlins fans came out in force this weekend. Too bad the team didn't.

I also suspect young Mr. Olsen has probably learned a thing or two about being interviewed by Mike Berardino. Olsen has been presented to the fans of South Florida as a face of the Fish, at loads of events and usually attached at the hip to LB. My guess is Berardino led him on and Scott was being agreeable, whether or not he agreed.

Let's see if this happens again. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt considering the interviewer.

you know whats sad...I was at Sunday's game...and I was heckling the heck (no pun intended) out of the Mets players (especially Wright...long story)...instead of other Marlins fans joining me, they all sat back...and the Mets fans didn't give me a look either...

but some Marlins fans started giving me looks like I'm not supposed to heckle...IT'S PART OF THE GAME. And you get me out there for the Braves or Mets and I WILL be VERY loud...Our fan base as a whole could care less about the game from what I could tell. It was even hard to get the LETS GO MARLINS chants going, and the Mets fans kept going. I tried, but our fans just are incapable of cheering and heckling and having a good time.

BTW, I firmly believe there were more Mets fans at the games down here than there were at Shea...how sad.

went to all 3 games and marlins fan easily outnumbered mets fans

You were at home. If you have to clarify that, then that's sad. It's not like it's a Milwaukee/Chicago thing here either.

No, b/c the media makes it seem like it was all mets fans there. I was at the games myself. Saturday's game is the reason why fans don't come to the stadium more often. The bandwagon/fairweather fans which all teasm especially newer teams need to succeed in attendance numbers showed up for that game to see our team get raked 7-2, stranding runners on base every inning seeming very overmatched by the Mets. And not only that it would rain every few minutes with the big one coming late in the game. Many of those fans will think twice before driving 45 minutes to an hour to go to the stadium, especially if its cloudy out, like it usually is every afternoon in the miami summer.

We need a new stadium. f*** A.J.... he was just jealous he was not able to pitch during the 03 stretch runs and playoffs.

Olsen didn't really come out and blast the fans here. He just stated basically said that they're not getting a lot of support, and that it would be nice to have more people at the game. Which is to say: he stated the obvious. I remember A.J.'s comments being a lot more pointed.

Yea. I remember AJ's words being more harsh than Scott's.

another thing that bothered me is a lot of kids were mets fans. I understand parents want their kids to follow in thier footsteps and its hard to watch their kids root for another team, but if they live in Miami, and were born in Miami, they should be Marlins fans...it's their home team!

Also, we can't rely on bandwagoners...Miami sucks for bandwagoners, they only support CHAMPIONS, not winners, not losers, not just coming out to games. The Heat, Marlins, Panthers, and Fins did not sell out this year (minus a few sellouts vs NE teams) and the Heat especially were coming off a championship.

another thing that bothered me is a lot of kids were mets fans. I understand parents want their kids to follow in thier footsteps and its hard to watch their kids root for another team, but if they live in Miami, and were born in Miami, they should be Marlins fans...it's their home team!

Also, we can't rely on bandwagoners...Miami sucks for bandwagoners, they only support CHAMPIONS, not winners, not losers, not just coming out to games. The Heat, Marlins, Panthers, and Fins did not sell out this year (minus a few sellouts vs NE teams) and the Heat especially were coming off a championship.

Hence the term bandwagoner, they show up in good times. This isn't Chicago where baseball has been around for 110 years, this isn't boston or new york where its been around since the 1890s. This is Miami, a city thats only really been a city for half a century, and whos baseball, hockey, and basketball teams have been around for less than 20 years. I don't know how the heats attendance numbers compared to the rest of the league, but with wade and shaq injured throughout the season, I'm sure that hurt attendance. Everywhere you go, you have a core group of fans and then bandwagoners and fairweather fans, its the nature of sports. It just so happens in places like Chicago, the tradition is so engrained in the culture that you go even if the team is losing. If the marlins are still around by then, in the year 2093, if we still have the kind of attendance we do now, then people can bitch and moan.

you know whats sad...I was at Sunday's game...and I was heckling the heck (no pun intended) out of the Mets players (especially Wright...long story)...instead of other Marlins fans joining me, they all sat back...and the Mets fans didn't give me a look either...

but some Marlins fans started giving me looks like I'm not supposed to heckle...IT'S PART OF THE GAME. And you get me out there for the Braves or Mets and I WILL be VERY loud...Our fan base as a whole could care less about the game from what I could tell. It was even hard to get the LETS GO MARLINS chants going, and the Mets fans kept going. I tried, but our fans just are incapable of cheering and heckling and having a good time.

BTW, I firmly believe there were more Mets fans at the games down here than there were at Shea...how sad.

I was only able to attend the Saturday game in the series, but even though there were many Mets fans, the Marlins fans were there too, and did outnumber them, but it's easy to be drowned out by the energized Met fans when only the hardcore fans are willing to chant and yell while the Marlins looked hapless at times. Bandwagon fans don't become more dedicated fans by finally attending a game and have the Marlins look outplayed by the opponent.