Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Did we go from bad news bear last year too supprise team of 2008?

Featured Replies

we playing better after mets seriers our starter pitcher done better anyone one was think before season started we now 7-3 i know we play team with soso record what your feeling on team hot start?????

Lets not get ahead of ourselves. While the record is nice, we beat the Pirates, Nationals, and now the Astros, none of which are elite teams.

I think the Astros will be in contention later on in the year.

 

If we can be anywhere near the postseason race by the time Sanchez and Mitre get back we have a shot.

We just need to keep winning.

 

If the pen can keep it up we will be in it for a while to come.

 

Just imagine if Sanchez, Mitre, and JJ weren't hurt. Jeeeebusss.

 

The hitting will be streaky, but we likely have 5 players who can hit 30+ jacks, the question will be if the starting pitching can perform.

No.

 

Our rotation isn't good enough and our bats can't stay this hot.

 

 

And then again, the starting pitching probably can't remain this bad. So really, that evens out.

I'm scared to predict anything that I might jinx it.

 

Honestly, who knows. I believe our offense can keep doing what it does. The team's been criticized for being too much of an all-or-nothing offense, but the thing about it is, is that a lot of the time it is still the "all" part of it.

 

I think a big part of the offense will be keeping Jacobs and Hermida healthy. If they are here and healthy to play 150 games, along with Hammer and Uggla behind Hanley, the sky is the limit even rushing up Maybin.

 

The rotation can also only get better once Sanchez and Mitre return, but I hope they will still stay flexible about bringing arms in and out of the rotation, just to keep people safe and healthy.

Need to wait until game 30-35 and see where the run differential is. SP is really scary. They can't possible hit 20 HR over 10 games at any point during the rest of the season to keep the runs at a relative push.

Need to wait until game 30-35 and see where the run differential is. SP is really scary. They can't possible hit 20 HR over 10 games at any point during the rest of the season to keep the runs at a relative push.

When Mitre and Anibal return, I think they'll join Hendrickson and Olsen to form a more solid rotation.

No.

 

Our rotation isn't good enough and our bats can't stay this hot.

 

 

And then again, the starting pitching probably can't remain this bad. So really, that evens out.

Not really.

 

Despite hitting that many home runs, the number of runs given up by our starting pitching as resulted in some very close games. What has resulted in many of the wins is timely hitting and okay enough defense and solid support from the bullpen. We need Olsen to have more repeats of his last performance, but we pretty much know what to expect from Hendrickson. Miller needs more time and I'm not convinced that Nolasco and Vanden Hurk have futures as starters.

FACT: We are 7-3.

FACT: There are 152 games left in the season.

 

That is all. I'm not about to predict what I don't know. I know I'm enjoying this team right now, as I said I would at the beginning of the season (only I'm enjoying them more than I expected).

Lets not get ahead of ourselves. While the record is nice, we beat the Pirates, Nationals, and now the Astros, none of which are elite teams.

 

But on the other hand we are doing something that we have had a hard time doing in the past. Beating teams we should be beating.

We are only in the second week of a season that last 6 months. We have played 4 teams thus far and only 10 games. I'm as excited as any one that guys like Hermida and Jacobs are killing the ball and finally showing signs of the truly great hitters they can be, but we are still with a patchwork of a starting rotation and need I remind you that Hendrickson will not be able to go 7 innings and 80 pitches or Olsen 120 pitches every night.

 

 

If we see that this continues into June and July, then yeah I think we can go ahead and bump our chest a little bit knowing that we've made it this long and are still competitive. In the meantime, sit back and enjoy the ride because whether this ends sooner or later, I think we are only seeing a glimpse of what the future can hold for this team when a strong starting rotation is healthy again.

No.

 

Our rotation isn't good enough and our bats can't stay this hot.

 

 

And then again, the starting pitching probably can't remain this bad. So really, that evens out.

Not really.

 

Despite hitting that many home runs, the number of runs given up by our starting pitching as resulted in some very close games. What has resulted in many of the wins is timely hitting and okay enough defense and solid support from the bullpen. We need Olsen to have more repeats of his last performance, but we pretty much know what to expect from Hendrickson. Miller needs more time and I'm not convinced that Nolasco and Vanden Hurk have futures as starters.

 

 

I think you are wrong about Nolasco. I think he can and will be a solid starter in the National League. It was his first start of the season. He was clearly out of gas in that 5th inning. I think he will only get better the more work he gets. I think Olsen, Hendrickson, and Nolasco can get the job done. They are not great, but with our offense, and our bullpen you can succeed with a mid 4 ERA. The question marks will be Miller, and Badenhop. I think if Miller doesn't start to turn it around tonight; the team needs to make a move. Perhaps Waechter from AAA. Just a thought. Badenhop is intriguing, and I'm looking forward to his start tomorrow. There is certainly much cause to be optimistic about this team.

No.

 

Our rotation isn't good enough and our bats can't stay this hot.

 

 

And then again, the starting pitching probably can't remain this bad. So really, that evens out.

Not really.

 

Despite hitting that many home runs, the number of runs given up by our starting pitching as resulted in some very close games. What has resulted in many of the wins is timely hitting and okay enough defense and solid support from the bullpen. We need Olsen to have more repeats of his last performance, but we pretty much know what to expect from Hendrickson. Miller needs more time and I'm not convinced that Nolasco and Vanden Hurk have futures as starters.

I understand about Hurk, but Nolasco had a very good season in 06. His numbers are severly misleading. He pitched quality starts in every game except when he faced the mets and always got smashed and a start with STL and MIL cause he wasn't even healthy in those two starts.

 

We are riding good momentum and the pen seems strong, I dont like the workload its been given, and the rotation is pretty scary. Unless we are still standing very strong by the ASB, this is just going to look like hte begining of last season where things looked good and fell apart by mid-season.

We are only in the second week of a season that last 6 months. We have played 4 teams thus far and only 10 games. I'm as excited as any one that guys like Hermida and Jacobs are killing the ball and finally showing signs of the truly great hitters they can be, but we are still with a patchwork of a starting rotation and need I remind you that Hendrickson will not be able to go 7 innings and 80 pitches or Olsen 120 pitches every night.

True, but they don't need to go 7 or 8 innings everytime, once our rotation is sorted out to where we don't have Vandenhurk or Miller coming out in the 3rd Inning with regularity, it becomes less of an issue.

 

If we see that this continues into June and July, then yeah I think we can go ahead and bump our chest a little bit knowing that we've made it this long and are still competitive. In the meantime, sit back and enjoy the ride because whether this ends sooner or later, I think we are only seeing a glimpse of what the future can hold for this team when a strong starting rotation is healthy again.

Look at it this way - whether it is Mitre & Sanchez coming back or Volstad coming up, our rotation will improve as the season goes on. The more wins we can put away in the bank now will be less that we NEED to win then. Its shocking to really even start thinking about all this, I just want to enjoy seeing the team win all the games that we should (which is a lot at this point, looking at our schedule this month).

Its way to early in the season to start claming ourselves as the surprise team. All of us know we have a young talented team thats capable of winning games. However, we still have alot of things to work on. Starting pitching being the main area. Until we can get consistent pitching from our rotation and stay playing the way we are offensively then we can most likely put together a solid season.

I think the biggest thing is if we can beat the Mets and Phillies, especially the Phillies. The Phills have brutalized us the last couple of years, and we can always measure how we are gonna do by how we play them. Example: 03-we killed them and we won the Series, 07-they killed us-they won the divison.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.