Jim Fleming talks about our prospects

Lane1974

Besides the young starting pitching, here's another reason the Marlins should be encouraged, even with changes looming. Jim Fleming, Florida's vice president/scouting, said last week the Marlins have the highest number of promising position player prospects ``in the seven years I've been here. Our system is as full as I can remember.''

Fleming said the Marlins project three Double A Carolina prospects to be big-league starters -- center fielder Cameron Maybin, second baseman Chris Coghlan and first baseman/ex-UM star Gaby Sanchez -- and believe all are ready to compete for jobs next spring. He said two other Double A position players might, too: outfielders John Raynor and Scott Cousins.

Maybin hit .277 with 13 homers and 49 RBI in 108 games but led the Southern League with 124 strikeouts. ''He hit .300 the last month and progressed in all phases. We're very pleased,'' Fleming said.

Right-handed hitting Sanchez (.314, 17, 92) and lefty-hitting Coghlan (.297, 7, 74, 34 steals) could compete for starting jobs if veterans are traded. ''They've hit everywhere they've been, and the track record is guys that do'' also hit well in the big leagues, Fleming said. Sanchez can play third base, but the Marlins see him as a first baseman.

On Raynor (.312, 48 steals), Fleming said, ``Some would say maybe not enough power to be a corner outfielder, but our big-league club could use some speed, and he's the best base-stealer we've had for three years. You have to consider him as an everyday player. And Cousins is a five-tool player.''

The Marlins have two first basemen who were MVP of their leagues -- Sanchez and Class A Jupiter's Logan Morrison (.332, 13 HR, 74 RBI). ''Really, really good talent who can also play left field,'' Fleming said of the lefty-hitting Morrison. ``He could reach the major leagues sometime next year.''

And 2007 first-round pick/third baseman Matt Dominguez (.296, 18, 70) ''had a great year despite missing six weeks with mononucleosis.'' There's also 2007 fourth-rounder Bryan Petersen, ``an exceptional outfielder with 23 homers at three levels.''

But the most intriguing might be right fielder Michael Stanton, a 2007 second-rounder who led his Class A Greensboro league with 39 homers (.293, 97 RBI). ''There's no timetable at that age [18], but he's a fabulous talent and has the most power in the system'' after Dallas McPherson (42 homers in Triple A).

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/columnis...ory/685377.html

funny how they don't mention any of our pitching prospects nor Miguel Ferman.

But I do agree with the article, we have a lot of young talent. We have a stacked team for the future, and if we begin to contend at the trade deadline we have a lot of pieces to deal around. I still feel Maybin is not MLB ready, but still i want to see what he can do. We spent a lot to get him, now he must show us if he can lower that K number and use that speed. We would have tons of speed with Maybin,Coughlen, Ramirez, Raynor at 1-2-3-8 respectively in the order

The comments on Coghlan to me...already bring up questions about Uggla (as I suspected).

The marlins organization relizes that they have enough power on the team as it is, and Coughlen has shown he is MLB ready, and it is a good time to trade Uggla after 2 all star seasons in 3 years with the team. We can get a lot in return for him

Wow Stanton sounds like he might pull a Cabs and get called up really young and start raking !!! Im excited!

U think at age 20 he gets called up (2010 season) and Hermida is shipped off? I really see that happening, OMG i am soo stoked for next year, i really feel we have a Rays type season next year wit everyone healthy, but everyone knows nobody can stay healthy for an entire 6 months

The article is about our hitting, not our pitching. And Fermin is not a highly rated prospect. You're talking about a 23 year old in short season ball. I mean, Gaby Sanchez gets crap for being 24 in AA and yet then people (although mostly not the same yeah, but still funny) crown Fermin, who's a year younger and is in A- short season ball.

The article is about our hitting, not our pitching. And Fermin is not a highly rated prospect. You're talking about a 23 year old in short season ball. I mean, Gaby Sanchez gets crap for being 24 in AA and yet then people (although mostly not the same yeah, but still funny) crown Fermin, who's a year younger and is in A- short season ball.

sorry, didn't read the first sentence. But Fermin at least deserves to be mentioned wit the kind of #'s he producing

sorry, didn't read the first sentence. But Fermin at least deserves to be mentioned wit the kind of #'s he producing

At his age, until he produces at AAA/AA...no actually.

He did have AMAZING numbers and a great year there, but in terms of prospect rating...it doesn't really mean much at his age in that league.

I didn't know that Morrison could play left field. I'm starting to really get excited.

same here, thats good stuff to hear. next year should be fun.

Stanton is an awesome talent and I can't wait to see him up, but I don't know if he will be ready next year I mean isn't he like 19 ?

I'm a bit concerned about the pitching depth though. All the best pitching is already in the MLB.

Even if that is the case, JJ-Nolasco-Volstad-Miller would seem to be a pretty solid core.

And those guys are gonna get expensive pretty fast. When is the last time this front office signed a pitcher to a long deal? I don't think it ever has...

I'm a bit concerned about the pitching depth though. All the best pitching is already in the MLB.

Even if that is the case, JJ-Nolasco-Volstad-Miller would seem to be a pretty solid core.

And those guys are gonna get expensive pretty fast. When is the last time this front office signed a pitcher to a long deal? I don't think it ever has...

Which is why im expecting the front office draft pitching alot for the next 3 years.

Damn it i dont want uggla gone im happy for all the prospects though seeing as there probably getting their shot at the show. I cant wait for stanton hopefully he can be another miguel or J Upton and make it at 20. Coghlan if you get that starting job you better seal up your d we cant have you and hanley with 40 errors up the middle and cause hanleys the only one around here who gets lee way with his defense.

But I do agree with the article, we have a lot of young talent. We have a stacked team for the future, and if we begin to contend at the trade deadline we have a lot of pieces to deal around. I still feel Maybin is not MLB ready, but still i want to see what he can do. We spent a lot to get him, now he must show us if he can lower that K number and use that speed. We would have tons of speed with Maybin,Coughlen, Ramirez, Raynor at 1-2-3-8 respectively in the order

Before we worry about Maybin lowering his K's, first we should get some of the guys on the present roster to lower their

next year's outfield could be

Raynor

Maybin

Hermida

With Ross as a reserve/starter

the Future, however...

Raynor, Maybin, Stanton

Dominguez, Ramirez, Coghlen, Morrison

Skipworth

I like it

With Maybin in CF, it would be pretty stupid to put a non power threat like Raynor in a corner. He may turn out to be a good player, but we can do better with that slot. You have to put Cousins/Petersen as most likely to be a future corner starters from the minors. Although I wouldn't be so fast to dump Hermida. He had an .870 OPS over a lot of PA last year. There is still a lot of potential.