John Baker

Hollyberry

I'm starting to like him. He's the complete opposite of Miguel Olivo (who I disliked).

We'll probably sign a RH hitting catcher to compliment him, though.

Hopefully not Pudge :confused

Obviously, no team is going to sign an aging catcher, sort of on the decline...to platoon (for the type of money Pudge wants). So no...it won't be Pudge. Baker's kinda earning a spot, right now. The RH hitting catcher could be someone like Mike Redmond, for example. A guy like that.

there is a very weak FA class for catchers this season, so i don't think we really have a choice

you say it like its a bad thing, what other choice would you want? please dont tell me pudge. he has done a great job and he has earned the position for next year. he is a great #2 hitter which we have lacked all year. he has the highest obp other than hanley

All this time looking for a catcher, meanwhile Baker was in our system, let go and brought back. He had never been given a chance. Well he has earned the job and should keep it until someone shows they are good enough to take it from him.

BTW Baker would not platoon with Rabelo they are both left handed hitters. I see Treanor as a backup catcher next season as well. He has always been pretty good in that role

This would be interesting if Baker proves to be the everyday catcher for next year (I'm not ready to crown him yet). Mostly because I always thought our big trade involving Uggla/Hammer/Olsen/Jacobs would be for a stud catcher. With those guys still likely to get traded, what are we looking for? Bullpen help? Everything else seems pretty set.

He had damn well better be. I remember when I first saw the guy, he got that home run and had a nice start, but I held my excitement just so I could see if it wasn't just a really hot streak, but so far, he has proven to me to be a very capable and adequate catcher. He deserves to start in 2009, and I hope he shows us this same performance next year...from the number 2 hole...

He has surprised me with his bat and plate dicipline. Much better than what I have seen from him in the past. And I like a lefty hitting second that works the counts. If he can fine tune his defensive game... It's far more than just the CS%, although that's where it shines through the most. He has a hard time blocking and has poor footwork behind the plate. Most of that can be taught. I've watched him warming up before games and he does have an arm on him. So to me that means it's just the way he plays the position. Paulie and Matt should be able to help him with that. And our roving catching coach in the off season.