Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Marlins Hot After Penny

Featured Replies

I don't know that it means we, as an organization, failed. If we offered him a contract, and he chose the Giants, that is his decision to make. While I would have liked to have seen a fresh face in our rotation, I don't think Penny is the answer to our struggles.

We have a clear track record of fixing veteran pitchers careers. We have managers that are specifically trained to coach youngsters. Our coaching staff can do wonders with a pitcher like Penny whose a veteran and has had a taste of success before. Before 2003 Penny was just a thrower, we made him a pitcher. Today Penny again is a thrower, we can make him come out of the gates at Land Shark Stadium pitching for US again. You sound like you don't want him to sign with us. :whistle

 

 

Except there's really no guarantee that we would be able to fix him in the short month or so we would have him, plus the postseason. Now, if he was coming here at the beginning of the season, then it would make more sense that one would think we could fix him. He and we would have spring training and the early season to fix him, if he needed fixing. But you don't want a pitcher you feel needs fixing when you are pushing for a playoff spot. So if the FO was thinking they could get him and fix him, that would be a fool's errand, because how many starts do you give him to be fixed? Why would you want a "broken" pitcher? We have plenty of pitchers in the minors that need "fixing." I used fixing a lot in the paragraph.

 

From Penny's perspective, it would look better for his future if he had some role in a playoff contender/playoffs. Since the Giants are closer, he could be very well thinking he will get extra opportunities to show off his skills due to the postseason.

 

That being said, I would have liked Penny just for the extra push of having a pitcher with experience gives us. He may only be a 4th/5th spot guy now, but we really don't have anyone outside of JJ and sometimes Ricky to rely on.

 

Ah brilliant post, and I agree completely, but even if he needed fixing he'd still be a whole lot better than what we currently have. The NL has done wonders for John Smoltz who many labeled as done. I hope these rumors are false, and he signs with us :(

I'm pretty sure he chose the Giants over the Marlins due to that milk fiasco a few years ago.

 

Hey, blast from the past!

I'm pretty sure he chose the Giants over the Marlins due to that milk fiasco a few years ago.

 

 

 

...or the fact that the Giants currently have a better chance to make the playoffs.

I'm pretty sure he chose the Giants over the Marlins due to that milk fiasco a few years ago.

 

 

 

...or the fact that the Giants currently have a better chance to make the playoffs.

:thumbup

You guys haven't changed one bit. IT WAS A f***ING JOKE!

 

 

You people are way to serious. Get a grip.

 

Rabbethan! Good to see you man.

You guys haven't changed one bit. IT WAS A f***ING JOKE!

 

 

You people are way to serious. Get a grip.

 

Rabbethan! Good to see you man.

 

Don't mind them, we're collectively on edge here.

I'm pretty sure he chose the Giants over the Marlins due to that milk fiasco a few years ago.

 

 

Haha I knew the batboy he did that with. Pretty cool guy. He even got to go on Letterman or Leno because of that story.

 

Everyone has their 15 seconds of fame.

There was a rumor that Penny almost went to one of his former teams, the Florida Marlins, rather than the Giants but he says that was never close to happening. "Honestly, I wasn't going to Florida," he said. "I want to play in front of some fans."

 

 

Ouch.

There was a rumor that Penny almost went to one of his former teams, the Florida Marlins, rather than the Giants but he says that was never close to happening. "Honestly, I wasn't going to Florida," he said. "I want to play in front of some fans."

 

 

Ouch.

What a dick.

plus the SF stadium is closer to more high quality restaurants.........

 

he would of been a decent addition, but not a reliable or consistent one

plus the SF stadium is closer to more high quality restaurants.........

 

he would of been a decent addition, but not a reliable or consistent one

 

 

You have something against Dennys ? :brigginbounce

There was a rumor that Penny almost went to one of his former teams, the Florida Marlins, rather than the Giants but he says that was never close to happening. "Honestly, I wasn't going to Florida," he said. "I want to play in front of some fans."

 

 

Ouch.

 

Well then, I am now somewhat glad he didn't come here. It's one thing if he had beef with the FO, a whole nother thing if he has issues with us, the fans.

 

Not like we didn't support him in 2003.

I can't say that I blame him. Don't get me wrong, I know very well the reasons why we don't draw well right now, but it has to be somewhat depressing for the players to come out and play in front of a few thousand people in a huge stadium every night. Heck, sometimes it is depressing to be in that environment as a fan. As a player, I'd imagine that it would be more fun to play in front of 40,000 every game.

I can't say that I blame him. Don't get me wrong, I know very well the reasons why we don't draw well right now, but it has to be somewhat depressing for the players to come out and play in front of a few thousand people in a huge stadium every night. Heck, sometimes it is depressing to be in that environment as a fan. As a player, I'd imagine that it would be more fun to play in front of 40,000 every game.

 

Must be why he did so well in Boston, those sellouts night after night must have motivated him to the point that he was so bad he was released. Really, Brad has had some nice years (and one really good year), but for his overall stuff, he has underachieved big time.

I can't say that I blame him. Don't get me wrong, I know very well the reasons why we don't draw well right now, but it has to be somewhat depressing for the players to come out and play in front of a few thousand people in a huge stadium every night. Heck, sometimes it is depressing to be in that environment as a fan. As a player, I'd imagine that it would be more fun to play in front of 40,000 every game.

 

Must be why he did so well in Boston, those sellouts night after night must have motivated him to the point that he was so bad he was released. Really, Brad has had some nice years (and one really good year), but for his overall stuff, he has underachieved big time.

 

I'm not saying that it helps him pitch better, just that playing in front of big crowds probably makes going to the park every day more exciting.

exactly.

who the hell likes to pitch in front of 11,000 fans. an a football stadium, ugly orange seats, raining all the time, or pitching when its 100 degrees and your baking out there.

 

I still love penny, his comments dont hurt me.

if he would have said they have no fans, or no loyal fans...something in that area...then i would have been really mad

if he would have said they have no fans, or no loyal fans...something in that area...then i would have been really mad

 

 

Um, he did say that. "I would like to play in front of some fans". But he would not like to play here. That's implying that we have no fans.

 

Also, grow up. There's no reason to bash your former team, especially one with which you won a World Series, like that unnecessarily unless someone specifically asked him why he doesn't want to come here.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.