Dontrelle Willis - Soon to be Released?

Schnellders

For those still hoping for a reunion:

The Detroit News' Lynn Henning expects the Tigers to release left-hander Dontrelle Willis before spring training is through.

Willis has allowed just one run and five hits over 10 innings this spring, but it's probably too little too late. His fastball has not once topped 89 MPH in a Grapefruit League game and the Tigers have a fairly talented crew of pitchers set to head north once camp breaks. The 28-year-old Willis is sure to get a look elsewhere, but we're thinking he's probably finished.

I wouldnt mind taking him back for a minimum contract incase he finds his old spark back in familiar surroundings, but that certainly doesn't sound promising about his speed.

I wouldn't buy into this a whole lot. It's just some beat writer speculating. He even said in his own report that "there is no indication from the Tigers that any such move is likely." My guess is that the Tigers keep him around for depth.

I'd rather have a bad player that I like than a bad player that I dont.

Amen to that.

The D-Train is still one of my favorite all time players. Whether he's having a good or bad game/season, that guy is 110% effort. If he does get released by the Tigers I'd love to see the Fish offer him a deal. Give him a minor league deal, hand him the ball and say "get out there and have fun". Who knows?

His problem is that his limited success has always been a result of a deceptive delivery. He had obvious anxiety problems and only okay stuff.

He's a pitching coach's worst nightmare. It wouldn't hurt to bring him back to Miami because he would likely be most comfortable there, but I'm skeptical that he ever gets past this.

I think he would have a better future converting himself to a position player than he would trying to sort out his sloppy mechanics.

If he has other pitches, can change speeds, and has command over the location his pitches.

I haven't seen him pitch much since he left the Marlins, but there is no certainty that he is capable of doing that. I don't even know if there is a pitching coach in baseball that can straighten him out.

It depends mostly on command and the quality of the stuff. He has three pitches already, but the slider and the changeup weren't very good.

Willis has put up good numbers in the past, but many attribute this to a deceptive delivery that took hitters a couple of seasons to figure out. Based on his performance from 2007 forward, I'm a bit hesistant to say that Willis will be a dominant relief pitcher.

He has a battle ahead of him. It will take one hell of a pitching coach to straighten out his mechanics and teach him new ways to get batters out.

Given Willis' anxiety issues, he might also not be the best guy to put into a game with runners on base. Either his psychiatrists get that under control or else his potential bullpen roles would be pretty limited.

Perhaps his anxiety came about because of his poor performance and not because he would get nervous with guys on base. I would imagine it is hard to deal with a real downturn in a career. The guy finished 2nd in Cy Young voting in 2005 and then he was demoted to A ball. I would think that's the real issue. Not dealing with guys on base.

Anyone's guess is as good as mine is, but I find that highly improbable.

His waning career might have triggered him to go on the DL, but Willis has always appeared to be a nervous headcase. His overall body language and rapid fire throwing approach are signs of someone who doesn't have confidence on the mound.

He imploded heavily in the 2003 playoffs and I would guess much of that has to do with the magnitude of the situation. He has also pitched poorly on the road in San Francisco and many have speculated that this might have been the result of pressure of having his family in attendance.

Anyone's guess is as good as mine is, but I find that highly improbable.

His waning career might have triggered him to go on the DL, but Willis has always appeared to be a nervous headcase. His overall body language and rapid fire throwing approach are signs of someone who doesn't have confidence on the mound.

He imploded heavily in the 2003 playoffs and I would guess much of that has to do with the magnitude of the situation. He has also pitched poorly on the road in San Francisco and many have speculated that this might have been the result of pressure of having his family in attendance.

Who knows? I am certainly not a psychiatrist (and I gather you aren't either).

The implosion in the 2003 plays could have happened because he was tired at the end of the season. It was the first time he had pitched into September, much less October. As for his outings in SF, he's pitched how many times there? Maybe 4 or 5. Could be random. Statistically, I would not infer anything from 4 or 5 games. In addition, I do recall he pitched quite well towards the end of 2005 when the Marlins were in the playoff hunt.