Morrison

flasportsfan88

Morrison has been hurt half the year. I don't think he is on the call up radar just yet.

Isn't he though of as far more polished at the plate than Stanton? I don't think they'd normally bring a guy like him up, but if they feel that both Coghlan and Maybin need ABs but are hurting the big club, then I could see them spending time starting in AAA.

Morrison should at least not be a hole in the lineup. He'll give quality ABs, even if the power is lacking. And that's a lot more than we can say for 2/3rds of our current OF.

Morrison has been hurt half the year. I don't think he is on the call up radar just yet.

Isn't he though of as far more polished at the plate than Stanton? I don't think they'd normally bring a guy like him up, but if they feel that both Coghlan and Maybin need ABs but are hurting the big club, then I could see them spending time starting in AAA.

Morrison should at least not be a hole in the lineup. He'll give quality ABs, even if the power is lacking. And that's a lot more than we can say for 2/3rds of our current OF.

He may be more polished but he lacks the raw talent that Stanton does, which is part of the reason why Stanton could probably keep his head above water. I think that Morrison has excellent plate discipline but he has definitely needed to advance his actual hitting by level. Whether he is ready for the majors right now I can't say, but at this point Stanton has actually had about as many or more at bats at AA+ because Morrison has had a couple injuries. Like Marlinslou said earlier, with the fact that he's been injured most of the year he's probably not call-up option right now.

One thing to keep in mind is that Morrison has pretty much been invisible in ST the last two years. That doesn't mean that he couldn't hit ML pitching now or that he won't be very good in the future, just that he had a chance to impress against major league pitching and didn't show that he had tools that could make him successful in the majors at that point. Stanton, on the other hand, had the eye opening ST which showed his potential of being an impact player soon. I know that St should be taken with a grain of salt, but it is still useful for these purposes.

In the end, if Morrison's power comes around, we'll find a place for him to play in the next year or two.

There is no risk in having Morrison play OF simply because our OF sucks right now as it is - Ross. Although I wouldnt know why Gaby should be the one suffering a platoon situation from a Morrison call-up... being that Gaby is the one who has played well of all of the boarder players.

And I'm going to counter the "if Miguel Cabrera can play outfield" statement...

If Paul Lo Duca can play LF, anyone can.

There is no risk in having Morrison play OF simply because our OF sucks right now as it is - Ross. Although I wouldnt know why Gaby should be the one suffering a platoon situation from a Morrison call-up... being that Gaby is the one who has played well of all of the boarder players.

And I'm going to counter the "if Miguel Cabrera can play outfield" statement...

If Paul Lo Duca can play LF, anyone can.

If you care about UZR, Lo Duca was actually a better LF than Cabrera, but a smaller sample size.

First of all Logan has played a total of 3 games in LF...Marlins have not really shown any interest in converting him to the outfield. It is possible but it is not expected. BTW many are not aware of how special of a talent Logan Morrison really is, he first started out as a power hitter but refined himself as a hitter to the point that many say he has sub level power for a first baseman when nothing could be farther from the truth. He can hit it a country mile. The problem has been injuries with him, otherwise he would be our first baseman right now and not Gabby.He is still just coming back from that shoulder I don't expect a callup til August at the very earliest but he will make us pine for him upto the moment that happens. Don't try to compare him to Stanton they are two different type of batter. Stanton is raw power who even when he strikes out intimidates pitchers...Logan is poetry in motion in the batter's box that pitchers will marvel in the ways he can hurt them

First of all Logan has played a total of 3 games in LF...Marlins have not really shown any interest in converting him to the outfield. It is possible but it is not expected. BTW many are not aware of how special of a talent Logan Morrison really is, he first started out as a power hitter but refined himself as a hitter to the point that many say he has sub level power for a first baseman when nothing could be farther from the truth. He can hit it a country mile. The problem has been injuries with him, otherwise he would be our first baseman right now and not Gabby.He is still just coming back from that shoulder I don't expect a callup til August at the very earliest but he will make us pine for him upto the moment that happens. Don't try to compare him to Stanton they are two different type of batter. Stanton is raw power who even when he strikes out intimidates pitchers...Logan is poetry in motion in the batter's box that pitchers will marvel in the ways he can hurt them

Pretty good post.

Logan was still nursing that sore thumb in ST, so it's kinda hard to get a good read on what he can do. He looked uncomfortable at the plate this ST. That was the biggest thing, except for his glove, that I came away with this Spring. Gaby beat him out for the job with his bat. Pretty plain and simple. But it looks like going on the DL for the shoulder has helped him nurse that thumb too. Or it's another case of where just looking at the numbers can be decieving.

Defensively, Logan is head and shoulders above Gaby. There really is no comparison there. If the Gaby lovers were to actually watch Logan play the position they would be agreeing. Logan just looks so smooth and confident in the field. Quick reflexes. Seems to know exactly where he is at in relation to where the bag is and rarely takes his eyes off the play transforming in front of him. In other words, a real 1B. A decent comparison would be what I have continually said about Baker and Hayes. Hayes has the far better glove, but Baker wins the job because of his bat. Having an "acceptable" glove and a decent bat will win out over an exceptional glove and not much bat.

I don't think he's ready at this point. There is nothing wrong with keeping Gaby at 1B, keeping the defensive replacement scenario, and letting Logan mature more at AAA. But if the time comes that the FO feels he is offensively ready to handle ML pitching and Chris is still struggling, send Gaby to LF to keep his bat in the line up and put Logan at 1B. But I think, other than giving him a taste of the majors, leave him at AAA this year. Next year he is our starting 1B. Of course some sort of offensive explosion from him this year at AAA could quicken that.

I mean, before he got here Chris Coghlan played a total of 1 game in LF and he Marlins had not shown any interest in converting him to the OF. The way this team functions they just try to get the top 8 hitters they can find and try to figure out. LoMo's played more than 3 games in LF though, even though a lot of that was in spring trainings and AFL, I don't think why it'd be so wrong to expect a Morrison, Ross, Stanton outfield if going into the break Coghlan and Maybin are somehow still not getting it done. Though I don't think either of them have nearly that long.

Oh, and Bob, I hope you don't expect to see LoMo bumping Gaby out of 1B if he comes up this year.

Guest Guest

Miguel Cabrera played a grand total of 3 games (7 chances) in the outfield before he was called up. It's silly to think that the Marlins won't consider putting Morrison in the outfield if it comes down to it.

I mean, before he got here Chris Coghlan played a total of 1 game in LF and he Marlins had not shown any interest in converting him to the OF. The way this team functions they just try to get the top 8 hitters they can find and try to figure out. LoMo's played more than 3 games in LF though, even though a lot of that was in spring trainings and AFL, I don't think why it'd be so wrong to expect a Morrison, Ross, Stanton outfield if going into the break Coghlan and Maybin are somehow still not getting it done. Though I don't think either of them have nearly that long.

Oh, and Bob, I hope you don't expect to see LoMo bumping Gaby out of 1B if he comes up this year.

Good to see you still ignore things I say if they don't fit your arguments.

Evidently I needed to wait for you to tell me what I'm really thinking.

I didn't ignore anything that hasn't been told to you 30 or 40 times already. It's a waste of my good time to even come anywhere near trying to explain why you're wrong about something. We all tried it for 7 months with Bonifacio, when even his performance couldn't change your mind, and the same is happened over the last 3 months again with Gaby.

I mean, did you really say anything worth my time? Besides being the pot that called the kettle black?

Guest Guest

I didn't ignore anything that hasn't been told to you 30 or 40 times already. It's a waste of my good time to even come anywhere near trying to explain why you're wrong about something. We all tried it for 7 months with Bonifacio, when even his performance couldn't change your mind, and the same is happened over the last 3 months again with Gaby.

I mean, did you really say anything worth my time? Besides being the pot that called the kettle black?

I'm glad I'm not the only one.

Additionally, there are no Gaby lovers. There are only people willing to stand up for Bob's nonsense. Of course this has been something he likes to misconstrue in addition to his stubborn and outlandish theory regarding the late inning defensive replacements.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.