2010 MLB Draft Discussion

dim

As we all know, Bryce Harper (aka LeBryce) is going to go #1 overall to the Nationals.

The Marlins select 23rd overall, and history shows the Marlins will look toward drafting a high school pitcher with a large frame.

However, I am truely hoping the Marlins do something different this year if a certain player is available. I want the Marlins to take Anthony Ranaudo out of LSU. He throws a nice four seam fastball that he throws for strikes consistently. He also throws a curveball and changeup that he has shown that can get over the plate inconsistently sometimes, but his command over his curveball is said to be greatly improved since his sophmore season. He pitched pretty well during the college world series in 2009 from what I remember, striking out 15 Kentucky players during a game at one point. He hasn't been dominant, but he does seem like he could be a good #2 starter on a major league squad if he reaches his full potential, and could be a guy in the Marlins rotation sooner rather than later. However, we know the Marlins love those high school pitchers, and there isn't even much of a chance Ranaudo falls to us.

I've heard Brett Eibsner, Karsten Whiteson, and a few other guys mocked to us. I want to hear some of the scouting reports on some of these guys so I can have a good idea of the guys who will be available.

Link from MLB.com about Marlins draft possibilities: http://florida.marlins.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100603&content_id=10766686&vkey=news_fla&fext=.jsp&c_id=fla

University of Miami Catcher Yasmani Grandal is projected to go 4th to the Royals.

The Kid is a wall behind the plate with a great arm and even better accuracy and he hit's for days from both sides of the plate.

Well Deserving ACC Player of the Year and currently a semifinalist for the Golden Spikes Award.

Why would you say something like that?

Because he's an arrogant son of a fish who dropped out of high school to play baseball and he will more than likely play for a division rival.

I dont think he is arrogant. He has destroyed JUCO pitching playing for one of the best JUCO baseball teams in the country. He had nothing left to prove demoralizing high school pitching.

"Through 62 games in his 2010 Junior College season, Harper is batting .442/.524/.986 (AVG/OBP/SLG) with 88 runs scored, 29 home runs, 89 RBIs, 18 SBs, and a 1.510 OPS."

.... 27 RBIs more than the number of games he played? WOW.

I'm sure those numbers won't be the same in the majors, but that's just incredible for this day and age.

Why would you say something like that?

Because he's an arrogant son of a fish who dropped out of high school to play baseball and he will more than likely play for a division rival.

Since when is taking his GED considered dropping out of high school? The kid is talented and until he comes along to someone better there will be some arrogance, I'm not a fan of his mind you, but he's a good amateur. Keep this in mind as draft history is not kind to catchers drafted #1 overall with Mauer being the only exception to this.

I'm watching with great interest in two players that played at the high school, a few years apart, my son is playing for Yordy Cabrera and Chris Sale, I really hope Cabrera is around when the Marlins pick.

BTW, I take back wanting to get Ranaudo. His agent is Scott Boras. Only the Yankees or Red Sox will get him imo.

I want Brett Eibsner or AJ Cole. I am a bit hesitant to take Brett Eibsner, as he is a first round talent pitcher, but a mid round talent in the field, and Eibsner has said he is dead set on becoming a major league OFer (aka what Casey Kelly is doing with the Red Sox, except he wants to be a SS instead of pitcher).

The draft is today...

I have a feeling the Marlins are going to take Aaron Sanchez. He fits everything the Marlins have drafted the last few years.

Criteria:

1. Cheap (will sign for slot average)

2. Size: He's tall, he's projectable in almost every way, and he's a high school pitcher.

Add a 93 MPH fastball, a straight curve, and decent changeup. He has issues maintaining the same delivery each and every throw, but his fastball will probably get a few MPH faster as the years go on, and his minor control issues will be fixed with the help of our coaches in the minors.

Overall, he's just the exact prototype of what a Marlins draft pick is. Everything about him sounds like Chris Volstad 2.0

I'm hoping a guy like Nick Castellanos falls to all (although unlikely).

If we are looking for a power arm (regardless of starter or reliever), Stetson Allie is the guy. He throws 98 MPH, but obviously with that kind of speed comes inconsistent control. He'll be a reliever at the major league level, which makes me think the Marlins will stay away.

I would be high on Eibner if he wasn't so goddamn stubborn about being an OFer. If he was dedicated to being a pitcher he'd probably be a mid 1st round pick easily. He's got a solid 94 MPH fastball and his slider has some killer bite to it. Hopefully if the Marlins draft him that they convinced him to become a pitcher.

I think it's doubtful we take a catcher after having invested in Skipworth back in 08. It's most likely going to be a prep pitcher, but there are also players like Cabrera and Eibner who are suspect to position changes that we are considering taking. Seems we are looking for an outfielder (as they are extremely flexible to position changes) or pitcher this draft, but I don't think anybody has a thorough idea of what the Marlins are looking for right now.