Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Braves Mgr Bobby Cox unloads on Loria

Featured Replies

Wow, just wow, but not surprising given his feelings towards Gonzalez.....

 

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_baseball_marlins/2010/06/florida-marlins-braves-manager-cox-unloads-on-loria-over-gonzalez-firing.html

 

“I know that guy [Loria] is unpredictable, but I was still….After everything [Gonzalez] has done for that guy, are you s——- me?,� Cox told reporters before Wednesday’s game against the White Sox. “[The Marlins] have gone down to the end every year, playing their asses off. That guy doesn’t appreciate anything. He’s one of those guys that thinks you change [for the sake of change]. He’s always wanting to fire the coaches, always. That’s his history.�

Who cares what Bobby Cox thinks about this? Everyone knows he's close with Freddi, of course he's going to vent about it.

 

Most owners do this. Freddi's probably had the longest tenure of any Marlins coach, or at least close to it.

 

I don't think he deserved to get fired but it's not like this is a big shock. The team is underperforming. Not by a lot, but enough to where he wants to shake things up. It is what it is.

Who cares what Bobby Cox thinks about this? Everyone knows he's close with Freddi, of course he's going to vent about it.

 

Most owners do this. Freddi's probably had the longest tenure of any Marlins coach, or at least close to it.

 

I don't think he deserved to get fired but it's not like this is a big shock. The team is underperforming. Not by a lot, but enough to where he wants to shake things up. It is what it is.

 

 

This. It's none of Cox's concern. Worry about your own team.

  • Author

But I think the important part is that the perception of Loria, if its out there like this, will it hurt our chances of luring free agents in the future and also top managerial candidates ? If history repeats itself, then Valentine, if he is the man, won't probably be here long because of Loria.

Apparently, Bobby forgot about the time he was the Braves' GM and fired a manager and took over the job himself. Bet the friends of Russ Nixon weren't saying too nice of things about Mr. Cox then.

 

Underperforming is subjective. Some cases may be a little more obvious than others, but everywhere, in sports and in life, if expectations aren't being met, the easiest guy to take the fall is usually the one who does. In sports, that's the manager.

But I think the important part is that the perception of Loria, if its out there like this, will it hurt our chances of luring free agents in the future and also top managerial candidates ? If history repeats itself, then Valentine, if he is the man, won't probably be here long because of Loria.

 

 

I have never heard of Loria being unpredictable from anyone else.

 

And I have heard of Loria buying his players and managers presents to celebrate achievements (like Hanley's diamond necklace). So it is out there that Loria recognizes and appreciates his employees.

Nothing you wouldn't already expect considering the relationship between Fredi and Cox.

 

I agree though Cox needs to worry about his own team.

But I think the important part is that the perception of Loria, if its out there like this, will it hurt our chances of luring free agents in the future and also top managerial candidates ? If history repeats itself, then Valentine, if he is the man, won't probably be here long because of Loria.

 

 

I don't think so, no. In general I really don't think players pick one franchise over another because of the owner. It's dollars first, and a winning team. Every coach thinks he can win. Do you really think some coach out there is thinking "gosh I'd really love to coach that team but I'm terrified that if we're not winning after 3 years the owner might replace me"?

 

If you aren't winning you're going to get replaced sooner or later. No one wants to get fired, but in retrospect I'm sure Freddi's thankful that Loria gave him his first head coaching job. Now he'll be able to slide right into the Braves job and he'll have already gotten his feet wet.

But I think the important part is that the perception of Loria, if its out there like this, will it hurt our chances of luring free agents in the future and also top managerial candidates ? If history repeats itself, then Valentine, if he is the man, won't probably be here long because of Loria.

 

 

I don't think so, no. In general I really don't think players pick one franchise over another because of the owner. It's dollars first, and a winning team. Every coach thinks he can win. Do you really think some coach out there is thinking "gosh I'd really love to coach that team but I'm terrified that if we're not winning after 3 years the owner might replace me"?

 

If you aren't winning you're going to get replaced sooner or later. No one wants to get fired, but in retrospect I'm sure Freddi's thankful that Loria gave him his first head coaching job. Now he'll be able to slide right into the Braves job and he'll have already gotten his feet wet.

 

Plus, there are only 30 of these jobs. They are never going to have a hard time finding qualified and willing applicants. No matter who the owner is, people will be lining up to work for him. Look at the coaches who have interviewed to work for Peter Angelos.

What did Fredi Gonzalez give to this organization that was so special? Bobby Cox talks as if Loria owes Fredi something. He doesn't. Loria's a business man; he gave Fredi the opportunity, Fredi went 3 games under .500 in HIS 4 YEARS HERE (totally didn't give him any time...making changes for the sake of changes :rolleyes: ). Bobby Cox is just another ignoramus (it's a word because Eminem said so).

But I think the important part is that the perception of Loria, if its out there like this, will it hurt our chances of luring free agents in the future and also top managerial candidates ? If history repeats itself, then Valentine, if he is the man, won't probably be here long because of Loria.

 

The perception of Loria isnt good to begin with.

I wonder if when all these holier than thou Loria haters put Bobby "The Wife Beater" Cox up for the Hall of Fame someone has the integrity to demand there's no room in Cooperstown for a drunken spousal-abuser like him.

 

If I were her I'd be scared to death to have the guy hanging around the house every day after he retires.

 

Personally I hope the Commissioner's office fines either Cox directly or the Braves organization for his outlandish comments and maybe puts him on mandatory breathalyzer testing for the rest of the season.

Cox is just scared that with a better manager we could potentially be much better and derail Atlanta's playoff push in his final season as boss there

there's no room in Cooperstown for a drunken spousal-abuser like him.

 

 

I'm going to assume you are the President of the "Get Ty Cobb out of the Hall of Fame" Club.

Fredi wont ever manage again not even a lil league team at tamiami he f***in sucks!

 

 

Or he's going to be the successor to Bobby Cox in Atlanta.

 

I'll bet 20 bucks you're wrong...

I wonder if when all these holier than thou Loria haters put Bobby "The Wife Beater" Cox up for the Hall of Fame someone has the integrity to demand there's no room in Cooperstown for a drunken spousal-abuser like him.

 

If I were her I'd be scared to death to have the guy hanging around the house every day after he retires.

 

Personally I hope the Commissioner's office fines either Cox directly or the Braves organization for his outlandish comments and maybe puts him on mandatory breathalyzer testing for the rest of the season.

 

 

 

This whole post is too funny.

 

Ooohhhhh,,,,,,,, where do I start.......

ARE BRONCOBOB AND MARLINS2003 GOING TO FIGHT!?!?

 

 

No billybob we're not children. I know it disappoints you but not every disagreement has to end in a brawl, semantic or otherwise.

I'm a lover, not a fighter.

 

I can attest to that.

 

I mean...

 

That's what she said.

 

I don't see how that makes sense.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.