Cliff Lee, Roy Halladay, Roy Oswalt

97marlin

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/12/agree-to-sign-cliff-lee.html

Phillies Agree To Sign Cliff Lee

By Ben Nicholson-Smith [December 13, 2010 at 10:54pm CST]The wait is over. Cliff Lee has agreed to sign with the Phillies, according to MLB.com's T.R. Sullivan. The deal is worth about $100MM over five years, according to Joel Sherman of the New York Post (on Twitter). The contract includes an "easily reachable" vesting option for a sixth year, according to ESPN.com's Jerry Crasnick (on Twitter). Agent Darek Braunecker represents the left-hander.

After months of rumors that suggested he'd sign with the highest bidder, Lee turned down tens of millions in guaranteed money to sign in Philadelphia. ESPN.com's Buster Olney hears the Yankees offered a deal that guaranteed Lee $138MM over six years, plus a $16MM player option for a seventh year (Twitter link).

Like Roy Halladay, who signed an extension that delayed his free agency, Lee opted to play for the Phillies instead of looking for the biggest contract possible. Almost exactly a year after they traded Lee for Halladay, he's back in Philadelphia, where the two Cy Young Award winners, Roy Oswalt and Cole Hamels could give the Phillies a historically good rotation.

I truly believe once the playoffs expand the Marlins will be in it every year.

Right now though--- What do you think Admin Beinfest and Michael Hill are doing?

After banging their heads on their bedroom walls :banghead, I have a very very good feeling Zach Greinke will be a Marlin by Spring Training.

They can't just sit on their hands and watch this. They put alot of effort into the team this year, and I see them getting Greinke for whatever it costs outside of Hanley, JJ, Stanton, and Morrison.

Still vulnerable. Offense isn't much imo, and no bullpen.

You don't need a bullpen when your top 4 pitchers could go to the 8th inning every game. You just need a Closer and a Plan B.

Cole Hamels and Roy Oswalt don't do that. They still need a bullpen, and the offense took a huge hit with Werth leaving. So, I'm mad, but not giving up on the season.

I truly believe once the playoffs expand the Marlins will be in it every year.

Right now though--- What do you think Admin Beinfest and Michael Hill are doing?

After banging their heads on their bedroom walls :banghead, I have a very very good feeling Zach Greinke will be a Marlin by Spring Training.

They can't just sit on their hands and watch this. They put alot of effort into the team this year, and I see them getting Greinke for whatever it costs outside of Hanley, JJ, Stanton, and Morrison.

If we're not willing to give up Stanton, we won't get Grienke.

I'm not willing to give up Stanton; we're not willing to give up Stanton...the Grienke thing isn't going to happen. It doesn't make much sense.

The Marlins might not have the firepower of these high-salary teams, but they've put together a well-balanced team.

Before the acquisition of Cliff Lee, I'm sure the Marlins were already wondering how to compete against Doc, Oswalt, and Hamels. This really doesn't change too much, considering the Phillies SP was already a strength, and they were already the best team in the division on paper, without this move.

There's still a wildcard, and the games still have to be played.

The Marlins shouldn't be hitting panic mode, or anything.

Still vulnerable. Offense isn't much imo, and no bullpen.

You don't need a bullpen when your top 4 pitchers could go to the 8th inning every game. You just need a Closer and a Plan B.

Cole Hamels and Roy Oswalt don't do that. They still need a bullpen, and the offense took a huge hit with Werth leaving. So, I'm mad, but not giving up on the season.

Actually, none of them do that. Doc and Lee came the closest at about 7.5. But that was about an inning higher than their career averages. Plus Lee turns 33 this year and Doc will be 34. Oswalt and Hamels each hit about their career numbers at just under 6.5 innings. But Oswalt turns 34 this year. You just can't expect pitchers to have career years every year. I also think Lee was the only one to lose any significant time with injury. "Luck" was with the Phillies in that regard.

Ya also gotta take into account they have already lost Werth and according to some sources are shopping at least a couple others to make some breathing room on their payroll. That may very well hurt their 2010 NL ranking of 5th in defense, which will hurt their SPs some. Also should hurt their NL ranking of 5th in offense.

Phillies will be very good this season. Again. But let's not overstate/overestimate them. We always play them well. And we have an all around improved pitching staff. I say bring em on. Let's have some fun.

While they may have the best rotation ever...they can easily lose a couple of those arms to injury during the season. I do not wish injury on any professional sportsman but chances are at least 1 while spend some time on the DL in 2011. Then the air of invincibility will decrease and other teams will have a better shot of beating them.

While they may have the best rotation ever...they can easily lose a couple of those arms to injury during the season. I do not wish injury on any professional sportsman but chances are at least 1 while spend some time on the DL in 2011. Then the air of invincibility will decrease and other teams will have a better shot of beating them.

I think I've only heard of Halladay being injured once, and same with Lee.

Hamels and Oswalt I've never heard being injured for significant time. [Off the top of my head]