Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Cliff Lee, Roy Halladay, Roy Oswalt

Featured Replies

Bring it b*****s.

 

On a lesser note, looks like the NL East has become the deepest division in baseball by far. Be interesting to see what we do the next couple of years to counter that unholy pitching staff in Philly.

Bring it b*****s.

 

On a lesser note, looks like the NL East has become the deepest division in baseball by far. Be interesting to see what we do the next couple of years to counter that unholy pitching staff in Philly.

 

 

 

Maybe in the next couple of years, but as of right now, it's the AL East.

I don't know what to think. I'm still in shock. I never thought Lee would go back to the Phillies. Did maybe the Marlins have a feeling and that was why Javy was pressed to be signed? The Phillies have by far the best rotation as far as Lefties and Righties in the division. Our lack of a Left hander hurts us. Can Richardson be moved into a starter? Just wondering...seems like that Badenhop resigning makes me think Richardson will be gone...

I don't know what to think. I'm still in shock. I never thought Lee would go back to the Phillies. Did maybe the Marlins have a feeling and that was why Javy was pressed to be signed? The Phillies have by far the best rotation as far as Lefties and Righties in the division. Our lack of a Left hander hurts us. Can Richardson be moved into a starter? Just wondering...seems like that Badenhop resigning makes me think Richardson will be gone...

 

 

 

Vazquez was signed because the Marlins had leftover money from the Uggla deal; it had nothing to do with this.

 

As for the rest of your post, who cares about lefty/righty? Volstad>>>Richardson. That's all that matters.

 

The Phillies rotation isn't better because of lefty-righty; it's better because it's just better, in terms of quality.

 

Badenhop has nothing to do with Richardson, and vice-versa. Richardson's role on the team will be to provide the organization with depth, in terms of lefties in the pen. He was never going to be on the big league roster.

It is sad to have to admit that even before the start of spring training we Marlins fans, realistically, can only hope to sneak into the playoffs by winning the wild card.

 

 

Or... we could just win the division.

It is sad to have to admit that even before the start of spring training we Marlins fans, realistically, can only hope to sneak into the playoffs by winning the wild card.

 

 

Or... we could just win the division.

With a realignment to the Central.

It is sad to have to admit that even before the start of spring training we Marlins fans, realistically, can only hope to sneak into the playoffs by winning the wild card.

 

 

Or... we could just win the division.

With a realignment to the Central.

... no in the NL East, sure the Phillies look overwhelming but I still like our chances anyway, we have a competitive team, I have faith!

It is sad to have to admit that even before the start of spring training we Marlins fans, realistically, can only hope to sneak into the playoffs by winning the wild card.

 

 

Or... we could just win the division.

With a realignment to the Central.

... no in the NL East, sure the Phillies look overwhelming but I still like our chances anyway, we have a competitive team, I have faith!

Yes, I know I know.

Just realistically, I don't see us being able to leap the Phillies for this coming year.

But, it's Baseball. Anything is possible!

So the Phillies have signed Cliff Lee. So that makes Cole Hamels a fourth starter, which is hard to wrap my brain around. But with the only Phillie position player to have a career year last season now a Washington National, and with so many hitters coming off either down years or injury-filled seasons, are they really that much better? Still the team to beat IMHO and will be a tough matchup for this team but no reason to hit the panic button. Just makes the head to head games against the Phillies that much bigger because we might not get any help from anyone else.

 

 

Also if the Phillies have a injury ridden year this year like they did last year then this move is a push as I can see.

Do we at least entertain revisting the rumored Grienke talks with this move? Our bats were goign to have a hard enough time keeping up w/ their rotation as it was, even more so now. Perhaps the only way we can keep up with the Phils is adding another #1 pitcher to the rotation just as they have.

 

Reports are the royals will be looking for a king's ransom, and I seriously doubt we have the marquee talent left (or be willing to give it up if we do, ala Mike Stanton) to offer. However, reports are that the Royals are looking for up-the-middle help and a quality starter to replace Grienke in the rotation. Should we reopen talks and start w/ a package of Cogs (who they can move back to his natural 2B) and Ricky and a few other prospects they would find enticing?

 

They probably would laugh in our face, and I seriously doubt it would get done w/o Stanton, but do we at least consider upgrading our rotation to answer the Phils, or do we sit tight?

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned trying to go after Matt Garza. He won't come cheap by any means but there is no way his return will be as high as Greinke.

i cannot believe this actually happened.

 

that is going to be a nightmare everytime we face the phillies. marlins need to step up.

 

or hope two of them go down with torn labrums becuase that is going to be tough to beat.

 

however, all of them are great pitchers but they are all beatable. i just dont know how many times we can beat them lol.

 

the way we beat them is with our own pitching and making our hits count.

This is some babyback bulls*** right here. I doubt the Marlins counteract though. I mean, with what and how?

  • Author

I have calmed down quite a bit since i first heard about this turn of events, and thinking about it our team isn't actually in that bad of shape. If Volstad, and Sanchez continue to get better then they could both be 200IP type guys, and I think they would be a comparitive team to Oswalt, and Hammels. J.J. can compete with anyone, and if Javy does what he did with the braves then we are in really good shape to compete with this team. thats not even talking about Nolasco. Our pitching won't matter unless we learn to take pitches, and with LoMo, Coggs, and Infante I think we can be discipline at the plate. The only thing that might hurt us is our outfield isn't very good defensively. With our park this year and the new park next year both having huge outfields we need to have fast outfielders that can take hits away from the opposition. If we really wanted to look for help it would be in our outfield.

I don't know what to think. I'm still in shock. I never thought Lee would go back to the Phillies. Did maybe the Marlins have a feeling and that was why Javy was pressed to be signed? The Phillies have by far the best rotation as far as Lefties and Righties in the division. Our lack of a Left hander hurts us. Can Richardson be moved into a starter? Just wondering...seems like that Badenhop resigning makes me think Richardson will be gone...

 

 

 

Vazquez was signed because the Marlins had leftover money from the Uggla deal; it had nothing to do with this.

 

As for the rest of your post, who cares about lefty/righty? Volstad>>>Richardson. That's all that matters.

 

The Phillies rotation isn't better because of lefty-righty; it's better because it's just better, in terms of quality.

 

Badenhop has nothing to do with Richardson, and vice-versa. Richardson's role on the team will be to provide the organization with depth, in terms of lefties in the pen. He was never going to be on the big league roster.

Ok, I was confused about the Richardson signing. You are thinking he is NOT going to be on the major league roster. Makes sense then....but you don't think it's a problem that we DON'T have a lefty in the rotation? I feel its nice to have at least ONE!

If anyone had there pick of Jamie Moyer dominating the fish or taking there chances with Cliff Lee....as far as this team is concerned...I would rather face Cliff Lee

If anyone had there pick of Jamie Moyer dominating the fish or taking there chances with Cliff Lee....as far as this team is concerned...I would rather face Cliff Lee

 

 

I don't know that I entirely agree with you 100% but I completely understand the point you're trying to make. Makes you wonder. Sometimes we face aces that are beatable, and then sometimes we get dominated by #4 and #5 starters. So really, none of this Phillies hype really matters until everyones out on the field playing ball.

I don't know what to think. I'm still in shock. I never thought Lee would go back to the Phillies. Did maybe the Marlins have a feeling and that was why Javy was pressed to be signed? The Phillies have by far the best rotation as far as Lefties and Righties in the division. Our lack of a Left hander hurts us. Can Richardson be moved into a starter? Just wondering...seems like that Badenhop resigning makes me think Richardson will be gone...

 

 

 

Vazquez was signed because the Marlins had leftover money from the Uggla deal; it had nothing to do with this.

 

As for the rest of your post, who cares about lefty/righty? Volstad>>>Richardson. That's all that matters.

 

The Phillies rotation isn't better because of lefty-righty; it's better because it's just better, in terms of quality.

 

Badenhop has nothing to do with Richardson, and vice-versa. Richardson's role on the team will be to provide the organization with depth, in terms of lefties in the pen. He was never going to be on the big league roster.

Ok, I was confused about the Richardson signing. You are thinking he is NOT going to be on the major league roster. Makes sense then....but you don't think it's a problem that we DON'T have a lefty in the rotation? I feel its nice to have at least ONE!

 

 

I feel that the whole lefty thing is more of a problem not having one in the bullpen (which was the case last year).

 

Not having a lefty in the rotation isn't really a big deal to me. It's a luxury to have a quality left-handed pitcher, but not necessarily a necessity. Having the five best possible pitchers on the mound is the necessity.

 

The bullpen is different because you want to be able to mix and match and have a deep pen late in games. At least that's my opinion on the situation.

 

And Richardson wasn't a signing. It was a minor trade for Andrew Miller. He'll be in the minor leagues, and is probably just an AAAA pitcher, when all is said and done with him.

I know Erick that he wasn't a signing. Sorry I meant acquisition. None the less, should I expect nothing from him? Or is that after the second lefty in the pen is signed?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.