2011 NFL Offseason Thread

dim

Is the NFL seriously considering not having kickoff returns anymore? What's the point of that?

No, that's not the rule. Unless you were joking.

The rule is KOs will be kicked from the 35 yard line. Touchbacks will still be at the 20 yard line. The two man wedge remains in place.

Also, all scoring plays will be reviewed, and the coaches can keep their third instant replay challenge.

http://www.nationalf...-by-owners.html

Does that include pass interference?

Mallet.. talented strong arm Quarterback troubled by character questions.... when did this work out for Miami in the past? :whistle

You may have forgotten that they(and a bunch of other teams) passed on drafting Randy Moss for that reason. And look how that turned out.:whistle

Miami picked 8 slots behind Minnesota

The Dolphins had the 19th pick that year(2 spots in front of the Vikings), traded it to Green Bay....FWIW...

http://en.wikipedia..../1998_NFL_Draft

Moss was drafted 21st and the Dolphins were one of the 20 teams that passed on him, Trading the pick still constitutes passing on him.

I think my favorite QB in this class is Ponder.

I think you let other peoples opinions sway what you think too much.

Ponder is nothing but another mediocre, backup QB in the NFL. He would be a waste of a pick. He's Chad Pennington without the true accuracy.

I'm not as enamored with Colin K as I was before, but I still like his chances.

I'm not really feeling any of the top rated QB's this year tbh. I'd rather just stay with Henne next year, see if he can improve. I'm ok with getting Carson Palmer, but I wouldn't be calling this a playoff team if we did get him. Still think if Vince Young gets released, he'd be a smart signing (I know he can't be released anytime soon, so my semi hopes of Young have died).

I think my favorite QB in this class is Ponder.

I think you let other peoples opinions sway what you think too much.

Ponder is nothing but another mediocre, backup QB in the NFL. He would be a waste of a pick. He's Chad Pennington without the true accuracy.

I'm not as enamored with Colin K as I was before, but I still like his chances.

I'm not really feeling any of the top rated QB's this year tbh. I'd rather just stay with Henne next year, see if he can improve. I'm ok with getting Carson Palmer, but I wouldn't be calling this a playoff team if we did get him. Still think if Vince Young gets released, he'd be a smart signing (I know he can't be released anytime soon, so my semi hopes of Young have died).

No, I formed this opinion on my own, thank you. He's pro ready, accurate, has the mobility, enough arm strength, and fits this teams profile of a QB. The Pennington comparison was a good one, and that is why he fits this team. The Dolphins would love another Pennington.

Also, I stand by what I said before. Young would be a horrible pick up. I do not want Miami anywhere near him.

http://sports.espn.g...playerId=183733

Nothing about these numbers scream starting QB. I've watched him play, and nothing about his play screams starting QB. He is what he is, a future backup. It's not a bad thing, but when he's set to be an early 2nd round pick, you should expect more out of a player than 49 TD's in 3 years, and absolutely no characteristic that makes him stand out anywhere on the football field. The only standout game he had was against a decimated UF team at the end of the year.

Cam Newton, Blaine Gabbert, Colin Kaepernick, Ryan Mallet, and Andy Daulton all have much better college careers than Ponder, and 4 of those guys are a MUCH better chance at success in the NFL than him.

And the "fits this team" stuff doesn't work. This team's passing game hasn't worked for years. I doubt the thing Miami is looking for is somebody who can fit right in with how this offense has worked the last few years. We're looking for a strong armed, intelligent QB who's willing to take chances. I may not be that high on Mallet, but I'm much higher on Mallet's chance as an NFL starter than Ponder.

Nothing about these numbers scream starting QB. I've watched him play, and nothing about his play screams starting QB. He is what he is, a future backup. It's not a bad thing, but when he's set to be an early 2nd round pick, you should expect more out of a player than 49 TD's in 3 years, and absolutely no characteristic that makes him stand out anywhere on the football field. The only standout game he had was against a decimated UF team at the end of the year.

Cam Newton, Blaine Gabbert, Colin Kaepernick, Ryan Mallet, and Andy Daulton all have much better college careers than Ponder, and 4 of those guys are a MUCH better chance at success in the NFL than him.

And the "fits this team" stuff doesn't work. This team's passing game hasn't worked for years. I doubt the thing Miami is looking for is somebody who can fit right in with how this offense has worked the last few years. We're looking for a strong armed, intelligent QB who's willing to take chances. I may not be that high on Mallet, but I'm much higher on Mallet's chance as an NFL starter than Ponder.

I don't put much stock into numbers in football, especially college football. And I disagree that Dalton, Newton, and Kaepernick have MUCH better chances at success. Gabbert and Mallet might, but not those 3. They each have significant obstacles to over come. Ponder is more pro ready than any of them, imo. On top of that, he has good size, he's athletic, and he's accurate with enough arm strength to play.

Fits this teams profile as in Parcells musts for a QB. He isn't here anymore, but Ireland has been learning under Parcells and most likely will go under his rules. They are: Senior, must be a graduate, must be a 3 year starter, and must have 23 wins. Ponder has 3 of these 4 requirements. The one he missed is 23 wins, and he has 22 wins.

I don't put much stock into numbers in football, especially college football. And I disagree that Dalton, Newton, and Kaepernick have MUCH better chances at success. Gabbert and Mallet might, but not those 3. They each have significant obstacles to over come. Ponder is more pro ready than any of them, imo. On top of that, he has good size, he's athletic, and he's accurate with enough arm strength to play.

Fits this teams profile as in Parcells musts for a QB. He isn't here anymore, but Ireland has been learning under Parcells and most likely will go under his rules. They are: Senior, must be a graduate, must be a 3 year starter, and must have 23 wins. Ponder has 3 of these 4 requirements. The one he missed is 23 wins, and he has 22 wins.

http://www.sportpost.com/blogs/view/How+this+drafts+quarterbacks+stack+up+using+The+Parcells+Rules

So Dalton 7/7, Kaepernick 6/7, Stanzi 5/7, McElroy 5/7, Ponder 5/7, Locker 4/7, Gabbert 2/7, Newton 2/7, Mallet 1/7.

So all the top prospects in this draft class...are at the bottom of Parcellsian way of thinking?

Parcells is gone. His way of thinking led us to Chad Henne instead of Matt Ryan or Joe Flacco. Conventional thinking has led us to the same dead end for 11 years. If Ireland is still following Parcells way of drafting, then he's not doing his job correctly.

http://www.sportpost...+Parcells+Rules

So Dalton 7/7, Kaepernick 6/7, Stanzi 5/7, McElroy 5/7, Ponder 5/7, Locker 4/7, Gabbert 2/7, Newton 2/7, Mallet 1/7.

So all the top prospects in this draft class...are at the bottom of Parcellsian way of thinking?

Parcells is gone. His way of thinking led us to Chad Henne instead of Matt Ryan or Joe Flacco. Conventional thinking has led us to the same dead end for 11 years. If Ireland is still following Parcells way of drafting, then he's not doing his job correctly.

Possibly.

And while you may feel that way, ireland may not. He was here learning under Parcells. It's safe to assume he will use his guidelines. Even if he doesn't, I still feel Ponder is the best QB for us. We will not have a chance at Newton or Gabbert. So, it's between, Ckap, Mallet, Ponder, Dalton, Locker, Stanzi, and McElroy. If I had to pick one from this group, it would be Ponder. Mallet intrigues me, but he has off the field question marks.

Mallet.. talented strong arm Quarterback troubled by character questions.... when did this work out for Miami in the past? :whistle

You may have forgotten that they(and a bunch of other teams) passed on drafting Randy Moss for that reason. And look how that turned out.:whistle

Miami picked 8 slots behind Minnesota

The Dolphins had the 19th pick that year(2 spots in front of the Vikings), traded it to Green Bay....FWIW...

http://en.wikipedia..../1998_NFL_Draft

Moss was drafted 21st and the Dolphins were one of the 20 teams that passed on him, Trading the pick still constitutes passing on him.

Pretty sure they traded the pick several days before the draft.

So will most kickoffs not just be touchbacks now....?

No, you'll just see kicker adaptations who are better at pinning the ball within the 10 yard line, forcing the other team to receive, and having the opposing team arrive at the ball quicker.

Thus creating more fair catches and/or out of bound penalties and/or injuries and lowering offensive output due to the fact that they're going to be looking at 90 yard drives more often.

This is a hurr durr rule.

So will most kickoffs not just be touchbacks now....?

No, you'll just see kicker adaptations who are better at pinning the ball within the 10 yard line, forcing the other team to receive, and having the opposing team arrive at the ball quicker.

Thus creating more fair catches and/or out of bound penalties and/or injuries and lowering offensive output due to the fact that they're going to be looking at 90 yard drives more often.

This is a hurr durr rule.

Players are limited on the prekick run they can get, so coverage team players will be moving slightly slower.

This rule needed to happen.

Well.. kickoff returns for Hester were fun while they lasted.

Yeah, Bear nation has to be more pissed off than anybody.

Nobody answered my question. They're actually gonna review pass interference calls as part of the new scoring play review rule? That should be fun.

• 2 weeks later...

I really hope the Dolphins don't take Ingram at 15. I'm not a fan of drafting running backs in the first round, especially running backs who have already had knee issues. Give me Mike Pouncey who can play C or RG and sounds like he will be one hell of a player from day one. The RB position is so deep they'll be able to find one(or two if they choose) with potential in the 3rd, 4th, 5th round.

I really hope the Dolphins don't take Ingram at 15. I'm not a fan of drafting running backs in the first round, especially running backs who have already had knee issues. Give me Mike Pouncey who can play C or RG and sounds like he will be one hell of a player from day one. The RB position is so deep they'll be able to find one(or two if they choose) with potential in the 3rd, 4th, 5th round.

This is how I feel. If they do draft him though, I wouldn't mind because he is going to be a good back. However, I would much rather trade back and recoup a second round pick.

The way I feel right now is we need another QB because I just don't think Henne is the answer. I know I'm back and forth on this subject, but this is the way I feel now. As for the prospects in this draft, I just can't decide who I like and don't like. It's a very difficult QB class to project. I see Gabbert, Newton and Mallet as Boom or Bust type prospects, I see Ponder as a QB who's going to be really solid and have a nice NFL career, I don't like Locker or Dalton at all, and I think Ckap is the wild card because he has great size, he's accurate and seems like a hard working player. His throwing motion might keep him from having success, though.

I think it'd be interesting for the Dolphins to trade out of #15. It's equally value for one of the last picks in the first round + a mid-2nd rounder. And then they could pick up Mallett/Ponder + another player. But, of course, the big fear is another bust that wastes 3 years deciding whether or not that's the case. So maybe you trade up if you love Newton or Gabbert. Tough choice.