2011 NFL Offseason Thread

dim

I think it'd be interesting for the Dolphins to trade out of #15. It's equally value for one of the last picks in the first round + a mid-2nd rounder. And then they could pick up Mallett/Ponder + another player. But, of course, the big fear is another bust that wastes 3 years deciding whether or not that's the case. So maybe you trade up if you love Newton or Gabbert. Tough choice.

Exactly. I think this draft and off season is going to decide the fate of Ireland/Sparano. They need to hit on the QB position, whether it's Henne or Ponder/Mallet/Newton/Gabbert etc..

Personally, I've warmed up to Mallet and I think he can be the best QB in this class. He's more pro ready than any of the projected first round QBs, he's accurate, has a great deep ball, and many people might not agree with me on this but he isn't a statue in the pocket like Henne. I know he ran something like a 5.37 in the 40, but you watch him play, he can avoid pressure while staying in the pocket instead of tucking the ball away and running on the first sign of trouble. He can side step a defender or steps up in the pocket to avoid pressure instead of just standing there like Henne. At least, that's what I saw. He's a pure pocket passer.

However, what will make or break him are his character issues.

Only QB I'm willing to even consider taking a chance on this year in the first or second round is Colin Kaepernick (the fact that the Colts, one of the smartest teams in the NFL, gave him an interview shows Kaepernick is probably worth the risk). I'm not 100% sold on Kaepernick, but I'm more sold on him than any other QB in this draft.

I think Blaine Gabbert will be a good NFL QB, but is nowhere near Bradford status. Cam Newton has warning signs written all over him, avoid unless you definitely have to take him (I'm looking at you Tennessee, Cinci). Ponder never looked like an NFL player while playing at FSU, just another run of the mill good college QB. Maybe when the draft comes along I'll find a good late round steal for the Fins to look at, but right now Henne is and should continue to be the guy heading into next season, given we are limited in options.

Mark Ingram is still the smart pick. Anybody else at that pick seems like reaching (unless somebody like AJ Green falls to us somehow). If we trade down, I'm all for Mike Pouncey, but leaving the draft with Ingram in the first round would be satisfying to me.

I think it'd be interesting for the Dolphins to trade out of #15. It's equally value for one of the last picks in the first round + a mid-2nd rounder. And then they could pick up Mallett/Ponder + another player. But, of course, the big fear is another bust that wastes 3 years deciding whether or not that's the case. So maybe you trade up if you love Newton or Gabbert. Tough choice.

Exactly. I think this draft and off season is going to decide the fate of Ireland/Sparano. They need to hit on the QB position, whether it's Henne or Ponder/Mallet/Newton/Gabbert etc..

Personally, I've warmed up to Mallet and I think he can be the best QB in this class. He's more pro ready than any of the projected first round QBs, he's accurate, has a great deep ball, and many people might not agree with me on this but he isn't a statue in the pocket like Henne. I know he ran something like a 5.37 in the 40, but you watch him play, he can avoid pressure while staying in the pocket instead of tucking the ball away and running on the first sign of trouble. He can side step a defender or steps up in the pocket to avoid pressure instead of just standing there like Henne. At least, that's what I saw. He's a pure pocket passer.

Mallet has the talent but his character problems are concerning. Rumored drug issues and a lack of leadership ability from the QB position really turn me off to him. I like him more than Locker but it's a shame his head isn't screwed on right.

Mallet has the talent but his character problems are concerning. Rumored drug issues and a lack of leadership ability from the QB position really turn me off to him. I like him more than Locker but it's a shame his head isn't screwed on right.

Yea, I agree. Character concerns are about the only thing that will keep him from being successful. He needs to develop a better work ethic, keep away from the drugs and take this game seriously. If he does, I really think he can be very, very good. He's the best pure pocket passer in this draft, in my opinion.

Only QB I'm willing to even consider taking a chance on this year in the first or second round is Colin Kaepernick (the fact that the Colts, one of the smartest teams in the NFL, gave him an interview shows Kaepernick is probably worth the risk). I'm not 100% sold on Kaepernick, but I'm more sold on him than any other QB in this draft.

I think Blaine Gabbert will be a good NFL QB, but is nowhere near Bradford status. Cam Newton has warning signs written all over him, avoid unless you definitely have to take him (I'm looking at you Tennessee, Cinci). Ponder never looked like an NFL player while playing at FSU, just another run of the mill good college QB. Maybe when the draft comes along I'll find a good late round steal for the Fins to look at, but right now Henne is and should continue to be the guy heading into next season, given we are limited in options.

Mark Ingram is still the smart pick. Anybody else at that pick seems like reaching (unless somebody like AJ Green falls to us somehow). If we trade down, I'm all for Mike Pouncey, but leaving the draft with Ingram in the first round would be satisfying to me.

When I pasted Colin Kaepernick(never heard of him) into my search bar, 2 of the suggestions had Dolphins in them.:blink: Maybe that's just because Google knows(generally) where I live. I bet if I was in NY they would be Jets or Giants suggestions instead. Speaking of Nevada, what about the Boise St. QB if he doesn't stay? Its hard to judge his stats though considering BSU's weak schedules.

Free agent DeAngelo Williams is open to signing with the Dolphins.

He's been a rumored target of the Dolphins, and apparently the interest is mutual. Williams has not ruled out re-signing with Carolina, however, and says what both clubs do at quarterback will have an impact on where he signs. Williams is unlikely to return to the Panthers because they won't be willing to spend much with Jonathan Stewart, Mike Goodson, and Tyrell Sutton all cheaply under control.

Free agent DeAngelo Williams is open to signing with the Dolphins.

He's been a rumored target of the Dolphins, and apparently the interest is mutual. Williams has not ruled out re-signing with Carolina, however, and says what both clubs do at quarterback will have an impact on where he signs. Williams is unlikely to return to the Panthers because they won't be willing to spend much with Jonathan Stewart, Mike Goodson, and Tyrell Sutton all cheaply under control.

I've said this before and I'll say it again. Drafting Long over Ryan wasn't the mistake. Not trading up to the 18th pick to take Joe Flacco when we had 2 second rounders and a ton of picks to work with was the problem.

Bill Parcells did some stupid stuff with the Dolphins, but the Jake Long pick wasn't one of them.

That should be a good game for London.

Today, Parcells admitted that the White pick was a mistake, and said they probably should have went with Ryan over Long. I agree with him on White being a mistake, but I don't agree with Matt Ryan over Jake Long.

I just hate losing a home game.. and since the Bears were the "visiting" team in Toronto last year, I have a feeling they will be losing a home game this year.

I've said this before and I'll say it again. Drafting Long over Ryan wasn't the mistake. Not trading up to the 18th pick to take Joe Flacco when we had 2 second rounders and a ton of picks to work with was the problem.

Bill Parcells did some stupid stuff with the Dolphins, but the Jake Long pick wasn't one of them.

From what I know, Ireland wanted Ryan but Parcells favored over Long. So, Ireland wanted to trade back into the first to grab Flacco, but Parcells didn't allow it.

Bears are playing Tampa in London apparently. Neat?

Where did you see that? Wasn't Tampa just there?

Preseason schedule just came out, which means the NFL schedule should come out next Tuesday. Sadly, I am not the least bit excited about the schedule or the draft. Hopefully, they'll end the lock out soon.

That should be a good game for London.

Today, Parcells admitted that the White pick was a mistake, and said they probably should have went with Ryan over Long. I agree with him on White being a mistake, but I don't agree with Matt Ryan over Jake Long.

I just hate losing a home game.. and since the Bears were the "visiting" team in Toronto last year, I have a feeling they will be losing a home game this year.

The Toronto thing shouldnt impact the London decision. It is a separate deal the Bills made with the city of Toronto in which they gave up a home game a year for five years. If anything, teams that play in Toronto should be happy because its really not a road game.

Bears are playing Tampa in London apparently. Neat?

Where did you see that? Wasn't Tampa just there?

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/bears/post/_/id/4670271/sources-bears-to-face-bucs-in-london

Well the bears are scheduled to play at Tampa this year, so if that is correct, then the bears will not be losing a home game.

It would make sense because I think the bucs had every game blacked out last season.