You asked for it, you got it!

Iowa

Of course he wants to play 3 more years. Why not try to cash in?

If in 2011 Helms puts up numbers like he did last season, the Marlins shouldn't even offer him a contract. I think many players of his age putting up those 2010 numbers would have been forced into retirement.

cash in on what? the past 4 seasons he has a combined -1.8 WAR. he's lucky he has a contract and should be cut.

Cash in on the fact that the Marlins seem willing to give him $1MM/year contracts without any hesitation. They didn't even wait for the 2010 season to be over before offering him a contract, despite his horrible numbers.

So he's basically cashing in on his "professionalism."

cash in on what? the past 4 seasons he has a combined -1.8 WAR. he's lucky he has a contract and should be cut.

Cash in on the fact that the Marlins seem willing to give him $1MM/year contracts without any hesitation. They didn't even wait for the 2010 season to be over before offering him a contract, despite his horrible numbers.

So he's basically cashing in on his "professionalism."

I personally never understood the reasons why the front office has such a hard-on for Uncle Wes - even T-Hut and Rich have a thing for the guy. I understand that he's a "great clubhouse" guy but find a role for him somewhere that doesn't take up a roster space or let him take up roster space on another team. It seems like every season he's the very first contract announced.

Uncle Wes is comfortable with the FO, that is why is here and will probably remain here for the next 3 years. They like him and he likes them (beside his rant against them in 2007 when he left for Philly), and they are obviously grooming him as their next FO puppet.

I really doubt he plays 3 more years. But I want to see how he does this year when they have a lefty off the bench option to use with him, unlike last year. For one reason or another, people tend to forget the reasons for his offensive slide last season.

"FO puppet"? Not even real sure what that is supposed to mean. I do think the team will offer him a job within the org when he does decide to hang em up. And I do believe he would make a pretty good coach.

But him being a righty off the bench, his $1 mil contract, and being a 3B/1B replacement player is far down on the list of worries going into ST, IMO.

But him being a righty off the bench, his $1 mil contract, and being a 3B/1B replacement player is far down on the list of worries going into ST, IMO.

Agreed.

Surprisingly he hit .359 w/RISP last season... those are pretty good peripherals for a pinch hitter so hopefully he can get back to where he was as a PH two seasons ago. And as we all know, PHing is a fickle art so there is a chance. Just don't want to see him getting a bunch of starts at 3rd.

Agreed.

Surprisingly he hit .359 w/RISP last season... those are pretty good peripherals for a pinch hitter so hopefully he can get back to where he was as a PH two seasons ago. And as we all know, PHing is a fickle art so there is a chance. Just don't want to see him getting a bunch of starts at 3rd.

RISP is the exact opposite of a peripheral stat. It doesn't inform as to the expectations of his overall success; it merely notes a small set of manifested outcomes.

Agreed.

This.

Agreed.

RISP is the exact opposite of a peripheral stat. It doesn't inform as to the expectations of his overall success; it merely notes a small set of manifested outcomes.

And also...this.

If you care about how he will perform as a pinch hitter, why not look at his numbers as a pinch hitter? RISP isn't really the best indicator of that, because one would argue that some of that success (in fact, probably a large part of it), comes from Helms being a starter.

Helms in 48 PH plate appearances:

.114/.188/.182/.369

That's with 4 walks, and 17 strikeouts.

So if we don't want him starting at third base and he proved to be a terrible pinch hitter in 2010, why do we want him at all? Oh, I guess somebody needs to hang Coghlan's spikes from the ceiling.

The roster spot means more than the money does to me. In the NL in particular, it is important to have a deep bench. Having someone on the bench with Helms' numbers is a huge waste of space and hurts the team in those late inning situations where someone needs to get on base.

I'm not looking forward to arguing over someone as meaningless to our team's success as Helms but I'll just say a few things. All I'm saying is you want a PH who can hit with RISP, so whatever on the peripheral part.

3 of his 4 years here he has hit over .300 as a PH, something that is pretty impressive. Like I said, PH is a fickle art.. some of the best ever at it (im guessing) had down years as a PH.. so all I'm saying is... I don't expect him to be a world beater as a PH but it won't surprise me if he ends up being a pretty good one. Its not something you can forecast but he has shown that he can do it. Again, just don't give a bunch of starts.

Baseball is a fickle game.

After an off-year (for whatever reason(s) justified or not) it wouldn't be surprising if Helms gets a few key hits and is a hero every so often.

That said, even if he does it'll be hard to justify any contract at all beyond this year. If he plays even an inning in '13 I'll have to conclude that he has pictures of someone.