Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Yoenis Cespedes to Athletics

Featured Replies

He has never played a pro game in his life

 

If it's true that the Cuban league is equivalent to Single-A ball, then technically, he has.

Plus they also said his homer in the Dominican league was his "first professional homer."

Technicalities.

 

Also, you're pulling strings on this - Aroldis Chapman never threw a pitch in pro baseball [if you're not counting the Cuban leagues as pro Baseball] and he got 6/$30m, and that's a guy that's not an every day player. Yoenis is most likely going to be an every day player [hopefully], so naturally, he'll command more money.

 

Is he worth $40m, or even $35m, though? No. That part I'll agree with you on. Neither was Chapman, imo.

Cool Story Bro.

 

 

He jealous. Jealous that 2008 revolutionized these here boards.

:confused

 

I'm confused-you talking about me?

Orioles be sleepin' now?

 

Yoenis Cespedes, CF, free agent - There was a lot of talk late in the week that the Orioles were the sleeper team for him. The Marlins, Tigers, and Cubs are also interested, but the Orioles are very aggressive in their pursuit of foreign-born players

 

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2012/02/12/looking_at_both_sides_in_the_david_ortiz_arbitration_case/?page=6

He has never played a pro game in his life

 

If it's true that the Cuban league is equivalent to Single-A ball, then technically, he has.

Plus they also said his homer in the Dominican league was his "first professional homer."

Technicalities.

 

Also, you're pulling strings on this - Aroldis Chapman never threw a pitch in pro baseball [if you're not counting the Cuban leagues as pro Baseball] and he got 6/$30m, and that's a guy that's not an every day player. Yoenis is most likely going to be an every day player [hopefully], so naturally, he'll command more money.

 

Is he worth $40m, or even $35m, though? No. That part I'll agree with you on. Neither was Chapman, imo.

 

It's a lot easier to scout a pitcher, especially one with 100+mph fastballs.

 

Call it 'professional'. Fine. It's not the majors.

Still, Chapman got 6/$30m having never thrown a Major League pitch. Even if he does throw 100+.

In fact, personally, I'd be less inclined to give a pitcher a wealthy contract, considering they're more likely to be injured.

But whatevs.

I don't know why you'd be less inclined to pay someone who has less to prove.

 

And all of this while Aroldis didn't get $40m. He got $30m, which is arguably over a maximum for someone like him.

I don't know why you'd be less inclined to pay someone who has less to prove.

 

 

 

 

In fact, personally, I'd be less inclined to give a pitcher a wealthy contract, considering they're more likely to be injured.

Dr. B you're set mentally that yoenis will be a bust? Just curious

 

 

Not at all. But it's important to be a skeptic. And to realize when you're letting the sensationalism go to your head. It's hype. You're buying into hype. A dream. Whether or not that dream comes true is completely on chance. It's a gamble. A gamble that can really, really hurt the Marlins down the line if they lose it. You have to proceed with caution, and make smart moves for both the present and the future. Giving Cespedes anything over 3 years OR anything over $35m is just too much. If things turn sour, you've been made Cespedes' bitch.

 

As someone mentioned above, I would imagine incentive-loading his contract would be the safest way to go.

 

 

I don't know why you'd be less inclined to pay someone who has less to prove.

 

 

 

 

In fact, personally, I'd be less inclined to give a pitcher a wealthy contract, considering they're more likely to be injured.

 

 

That's okay, we're even on the LoMo Twitter thread then.

 

I still think a pitcher is much easier to scout. Especially one with power tools.

The Marlins are exchanging contract figures with 26-year-old Cuban outfielder Yoenis Cespedes, and two National League sources tell MLB.com's Joe Frisaro that the Cubs are no longer seriously in the mix. Chicago has apparently shifted its focus to 19-year-old Cuban outfielder Jorge Soler, though he is not yet eligible for free agency.

 

Upon his recent visit to Miami, the Marlins made Cespedes an offer that was initially reported to exceed $40MM. That number has since been denied, and Frisaro confirms that the offer was under $40MM, saying the Fish are comfortable with a number in the $30-35MM range.

 

The Cubs, meanwhile, are willing to spend as much as $27.5MM to land Soler, though Frisaro's sources are unclear on the number of years they'd offer. New Cubs president Theo Epstein and GM Jed Hoyer have already made one significant international splash this offseason, signing 18-year-old Cuban Gerardo Concepcion to a $7MM contract with another million dollars of incentives.

 

 

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/02/marlins-in-lead-for-cespedes-cubs-focused-on-soler.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

As one of the Fangraphs comments mentioned, if he can be a league-average CF for 5.5 seasons, that's be worth ~11-14 wins. That'd be easily worth more than the $30-35MM figure mentioned above. There could even be a $20+MM surplus. And league average probably isn't his ceiling.

 

He could obviously bust, but given this team's need for a CF and that I do think it is reasonably close to playoff-spot contention, as well as the fact that $30MM isn't a massive investment, I am in favor of the move at that price. I think it's a worthy gamble for $30MM, and probably even $35MM. $40MM does feel a bit high, though.

saying the Fish are comfortable with a number in the $30-35MM range.

 

 

Glad to see the Marlins are thinking like I am.

 

Reasonably.

saying the Fish are comfortable with a number in the $30-35MM range.

 

Glad to see the Marlins are thinking like I am.

 

Reasonably.

 

That's per year.

As one of the Fangraphs comments mentioned, if he can be a league-average CF for 5.5 seasons, that's be worth ~11-14 wins. That'd be easily worth more than the $30-35MM figure mentioned above. There could even be a $20+MM surplus. And league average probably isn't his ceiling.

 

He could obviously bust, but given this team's need for a CF and that I do think it is reasonably close to playoff-spot contention, as well as the fact that $30MM isn't a massive investment, I am in favor of the move at that price. I think it's a worthy gamble for $30MM, and probably even $35MM. $40MM does feel a bit high, though.

 

It sounds like they are expecting him to eventually put up numbers close to what Adam Jones did in 2011, who is still in his arbitration years but the Orioles haven't started negotiating an extension. In the market, however, I'm not so sure that Jones gets much more than 4/$40MM, but that's keeping in mind that he plays pretty good defense and has already demonstrated that he can put up those numbers in MLB and can handle ML pitching. Cespedes doesn't have those things working in his favor.

 

$30 MM is about tops for him in terms of risk and expected value.

As one of the Fangraphs comments mentioned, if he can be a league-average CF for 5.5 seasons, that's be worth ~11-14 wins. That'd be easily worth more than the $30-35MM figure mentioned above. There could even be a $20+MM surplus. And league average probably isn't his ceiling.

 

He could obviously bust, but given this team's need for a CF and that I do think it is reasonably close to playoff-spot contention, as well as the fact that $30MM isn't a massive investment, I am in favor of the move at that price. I think it's a worthy gamble for $30MM, and probably even $35MM. $40MM does feel a bit high, though.

 

It sounds like they are expecting him to eventually put up numbers close to what Adam Jones did in 2011, who is still in his arbitration years but the Orioles haven't started negotiating an extension. In the market, however, I'm not so sure that Jones gets much more than 4/$40MM, but that's keeping in mind that he plays pretty good defense and has already demonstrated that he can put up those numbers in MLB and can handle ML pitching. Cespedes doesn't have those things working in his favor.

 

$30 MM is about tops for him in terms of risk and expected value.

That's fair.

 

I do think he brings in some extra fans to close the gap a little, but I have no idea how significant the number would be.

 

But, as I mentioned in my post, I think this team is approaching the territory where you can justify an overpayment because it could potentially be the final piece in making a playoff run, there's a huge whole in CF, and the contract isn't immense -- we're not talking about a franchise-hamstringing risk like the $100MM on the line if Pujols or Fielder broke down in the back half of their respective contracts.

 

And the importance of the playoff consideration is probably elevated because this is the first season in the new stadium and most people seem to think that the momentum built this season is vital for the franchise moving forward.

http://bleacherrepor...t-move-for-cubs

 

Cubs fans talking themselves into believing that Soler is a better pickup than Cespedes. :lol Its like they're talking themselves into taking home the fat girl.

 

 

I guess when you're desperate. It happens. Hopefully this guy (Yoenis) signs here. :)

You'll know how to pronounce his name when someone signs him.

I don't see what's so funny about that. If given the choice between the two, I'd rather have Soler.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.