Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Yoenis Cespedes to Athletics

Featured Replies

http://www.mlbtrader...s-cespedes.html

 

Marlins Make Offer To Yoenis Cespedes

 

By Zach Links [February 11, 2012 at 1:54pm CST]

Yoenis Cespedes met with Marlins brass this week and returned to the Domincan Republic with an offer worth roughly $40MM over six years, a source close to the negotiations told Eric Reynoso of Cafe Fuerte. Cespedes, according to the source, still doesn't have any immediate plans to meet with other teams.

Prior to meeting with Cespedes, Marlins president David Samson hinted that the club would make an offer to the Cuban outfielder. The interest seems mutual as Cespedes told reporters that he would like to play in Miami.

Also within the piece, Reynoso writes that utility player and fellow Cuban Adonis Garcia became a free agent on Thursday. Agent Carlos Perez says that he has fielded interest from six teams, though the Marlins are not among them. The 26-year-old, who has shown the ability to hit for power, spent this winter with the Magellan Navigators of the Venezuelan League.

 

 

wow i was telling my friends the other day that I would guess 6/42 would be the figure. guess i might not be that far off

 

Already posted bud, Automatic ejection for your error! :exercise

Hearing that the #marlins have offered OF Yoenis Cespedes LESS than the $40 million figure that has been reported.

 

-Spencer

 

Probably full of incentives though.

Hearing that the #marlins have offered OF Yoenis Cespedes LESS than the $40 million figure that has been reported.

 

-Spencer

 

Probably full of incentives though.

"Don't make us look bad in your first year, $15,000,000."

****ing Clark Spencer

Leave it to Spencer for the always negative tweet.

 

Negative? It's awesome news. I hope they started below $30 MM.

was about to post the same exact thing.

I think Cespedes is going to be awesome in a year or two, but... 50-60m right now? f*** that.

low? 40m?

I just think his agent/publicist/whatever was trying to f*** with teams by throwing out 60+

no one's paying that, and I think 40 might even be too high.

if it was reported as 40 and Spencer's saying under it's under, I'm assuming it's like 37.5

the 6yrs 40 mill deal isnt that bad actually, i'm for it. Anything less will be fine as well. It's a win-win for me

some chickenhead team would have to offer something significantly higher to sway Cespedes away from the Marlins. He obviously wants to play in Miami. The Marlins got some leverage here. And, they're using it nicely.

Leave it to Spencer for the always negative tweet.

 

 

That was a very positive tweet to me.

4 years and $ 28 million is what I would start at.

 

Now if you backload even 4 years and he's a bust that will be hard for us......do you offer a signing bonus of $ 8m and then just $ 2m, 4.5m, 5.5m & 7.5 m ? Can you give an option for the team at the end of that for say $ 9m ? Is that sort of what they could do ?

Cespedes would almost be better off signing a 3 year deal with the marlins at 7 or so per year. He could then prove that he can play and become a free agent at age 29.

 

I hope the Marlins can do a short term deal with him, just incase he is a bust.

According to this report Cespedes still has no immediate plans to meet with other teams and left Miami feeling very positive about the offer he got ("about $40MM" for 6 years).

 

El pelotero cubano Yoennis Céspedes habría regresado a República Dominicana con una oferta de los Marlins de Miami de unos $40 millones de dólares y no tiene planes inmediatos para reunirse con otros equipos de Grandes Ligas.

 

“Todo ha sido muy positivo y se va con una propuesta de alrededor de $40 millones�, dijo a CaféFuerte una fuente cercana a las negociaciones.

 

La fuente agregó que la oferta había sido por seis años

 

 

http://networkedblogs.com/tOzVv

My source says Castro is having him kidnapped and then trading him to north Korea for some kimchi.

 

You kinda remind me of the way I was on the site when I was a kid (before I went MIA for around 7 years).

 

The stuff I posted wasn't nearly as stupid as the post I'm quoting now-but it was still pretty darn stupid.

 

I think all the old timers on here who remember will agree with me.

My source says Castro is having him kidnapped and then trading him to north Korea for some kimchi.

 

You kinda remind me of the way I was on the site when I was a kid (before I went MIA for around 7 years).

 

The stuff I posted wasn't nearly as stupid as the post I'm quoting now-but it was still pretty darn stupid.

 

I think all the old timers on here who remember will agree with me.

I'm pretty sure I had about half of em, being in my early-mid teens at the time.

Guillen went to watch him play in the Dominican Republic and said he's "pretty impressive" but doesn't believe that he's worth $60MM.

 

New Marlins manager Ozzie Guillen calls Yoenis Cespedes "pretty impressive," but he said it's no slam dunk that the Cuban defector ends up in Miami.

 

Marlins president David Samson has already said that they would like the outfielder but don't have to have him, and Guillen reiterated that.

 

"I heard Mr. Samson say something very interesting yesterday," Guillen said on the "Waddle and Silvy Show" on ESPN 1000 in Chicago. "He said, 'We have a great ballclub. And we're happy with what we have.'"

 

Call it posturing, but Guillen said the Marlins aren't the only team in the running, saying he thinks "they're promoting this kid all over the place. That's why you have an agent. You as a player, you know where you want to go."

 

Cespedes met with the Marlins and toured their new ballpark on Wednesday. He was possibly headed back to the Dominican Republic, where he has obtained residency, Thursday, but it's not clear if that happened.

 

His agent, Adam Katz, said Cespedes did not speak to other teams while in Florida. The Cubs, White Sox and Tigers are among the teams that have shown interest.

 

"We went to the Dominican Republic, myself and 10 guys," Guillen said. " We went to see this kid. He's pretty impressive. They compare this kid with a lot of people. They compare this kid with Bo Jackson. Well Bo Jackson wasn't a baseball player. This kid is a baseball player. They compare him with (Raul) Mondesi. I think Mondesi was better than him. That's my own opinion. Mondesi has a better arm, faster, but this kid is pretty good."

 

There has been speculation that Cespedes could command a $60 million contract. That commitment makes Guillen nervous.

"There are a lot of question marks out there," he said. "How's he going to handle major league pitching? We don't know. How's he going to handle major league media? We don't know. There are a lot of ifs. Whoever signs him is gambling."

 

Guillen does like Cespedes' confidence.

 

"I saw him say something yesterday: 'I'm not coming to the United States to play in the minor leagues.' Well, that thing can go either way. I don't blame the kid. But people don't look at that as the right answer. To me it's the right answer: 'I come here to play in the big leagues.'"

 

Still, there are question marks.

 

"The tools are there," Guillen said. "But you never know what's going to happen."

 

 

http://espn.go.com/m...yoenis-cespedes

Lets hope he accepts that... he could probably command more.

 

You gotta pay to play.

 

 

Come on you guys! You're all terrible negotiators! He's not worth that much. He has never played a pro game in his life, and you're relying on 'promise'.

 

I'll write you a bunch of IOU's, will you still sign me to a 6 year contract based on that? Anyone who pays him over 40 million is absolutely moronic. He shouldn't command that much in the market unless someone gets utterly desperate and stupid. In which case, let him go. He's worth $35m at most, and that's even pushing it.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.