Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Yoenis Cespedes to Athletics

Featured Replies

He might be heading back to the Dominican Republic today.

 

For some reason his agent (Katz) declined to say whether he met with any other teams besides the Marlins while here in Miami even though it was said clearly before that they would & he even said himself that there are several other teams in the mix. It seems pretty obvious that he met with other teams, I just really don't understand why he couldn't admit to it straight out. Whatever...

 

 

That's actually a negotiating tactic to say 'I have other options'. So... if they're not stating with who... it seems pretty obvious that they don't like what's being put their way outside of Miami.

Not necessarily.

 

What I was thinking is that maybe Cespedes is actually 100% set on coming to the Marlins & that he is just negotiating with other teams to try and get more money from us (the exact opposite of Pujols).

 

This really makes a lot of sense based on all his comments about how much he wants to play in Miami & based on the fact that he only bothered to visit Miami to begin with (making the other teams come down to Miami to negotiate).

That's a completely different case.

 

Pujols was the one with all the chips on the table. Cespedes and his agent are trying to make it seem as though they have all the chips on the table, but in reality they have nothing. No games ever played in the MLB, no proof, no reason to get a big contract. They're probably getting < $20 million offers despite trying for $40 million.

We spend money on... a closer.. a lead off hitter.. a soft-tossing lefty.. and now possibly an unknown Cuban. What team is this again?

That's a completely different case.

 

Pujols was the one with all the chips on the table. Cespedes and his agent are trying to make it seem as though they have all the chips on the table, but in reality they have nothing. No games ever played in the MLB, no proof, no reason to get a big contract. They're probably getting < $20 million offers despite trying for $40 million.

 

That difference doesn't make for a difference.

 

Just because Pujols is a much better player & Cespedes has no MLB experience doesn't mean that he isn't getting a lot of "high offers" (over $20MM) & can't negotiate with other teams to drive up his price.

 

I'm sure there's at least a "fair" amount of players that have gotten contracts for over $20MM before ever playing a single game in the MLB. First person that comes to mind is Matsuzaka who got $52MM for 6 years.

If this is the REAL Yoenis Cespedes (which apparently Joe Capozzi thinks so) then I have a very good feeling he's going to sign with the Marlins...

 

Did anyone see the tweet from Yoenis Cespedes (@YoennisCespedes) yesterday after his visit with the Marlins?

 

He tweeted in Spanish, which translated to: “I was very impressed today. As I’ve already said, it’s my wish to be a marlin. let’s see.� He finished it with a little English, “than u fans fo suppor!�

 

Earlier in the day yesterday he tweeted, “I’ve come to the conlusion that I’m the onle making it rain in Miami. I can’t seem to escape it. haha�…

 

http://blogs.palmbea...ns-spring-camp/

If this is the REAL Yoenis Cespedes (which apparently Joe Capozzi thinks so) then I have a very good feeling he's going to sign with the Marlins...

 

 

Did anyone see the tweet from Yoenis Cespedes (@YoennisCespedes) yesterday after his visit with the Marlins?

 

He tweeted in Spanish, which translated to: “I was very impressed today. As I’ve already said, it’s my wish to be a marlin. let’s see.� He finished it with a little English, “than u fans fo suppor!�

 

Earlier in the day yesterday he tweeted, “I’ve come to the conlusion that I’m the onle making it rain in Miami. I can’t seem to escape it. haha�…

 

http://blogs.palmbea...ns-spring-camp/

 

 

Why is he thanking us for supper?

If this is the REAL Yoenis Cespedes (which apparently Joe Capozzi thinks so) then I have a very good feeling he's going to sign with the Marlins...

 

 

Did anyone see the tweet from Yoenis Cespedes (@YoennisCespedes) yesterday after his visit with the Marlins?

 

He tweeted in Spanish, which translated to: “I was very impressed today. As I’ve already said, it’s my wish to be a marlin. let’s see.� He finished it with a little English, “than u fans fo suppor!�

 

Earlier in the day yesterday he tweeted, “I’ve come to the conlusion that I’m the onle making it rain in Miami. I can’t seem to escape it. haha�…

 

http://blogs.palmbea...ns-spring-camp/

 

 

Why is he thanking us for supper?

He meant "lunch." ;)

@georgeofman George ofman

 

A team has made a bigger bid for Cespedes. Cubs? Sox? Will he take more money than Marlins offer?

 

 

Not sure how reliable this is but.. I'm bored.

He might be heading back to the Dominican Republic today.

 

For some reason his agent (Katz) declined to say whether he met with any other teams besides the Marlins while here in Miami even though it was said clearly before that they would & he even said himself that there are several other teams in the mix. It seems pretty obvious that he met with other teams, I just really don't understand why he couldn't admit to it straight out. Whatever...

 

 

Yoenis Cespedes, who met with the Miami Marlins and toured their new ballpark on Wednesday, could head back to the Dominican Republic as early as Thursday, said his agent, Adam Katz.

 

"Nothing is scheduled for now," Katz said when asked if he and Cespedes plan to meet with other teams before the 26-year-old Cuban outfielder departs. He declined to say whether Cespedes had met with other clubs besides the Marlins since he arrived in Miami on Tuesday.

 

Cespedes had lunch Wednesday with Marlins president David Samson, executive vice president Admin Beinfest and general manager Mike Hill, then got a firsthand look at the Marlins' new park, which is located in Miami's Little Havana neighborhood and is set to open in April.

 

"We had a good meeting," Katz said. "They made a very impressive presentation. Discussions are ongoing and productive. But there are several other teams in the mix."

 

Katz wouldn't disclose whether the Marlins had made Cespedes an offer. And Marlins president David Samson declined comment Thursday.

 

"We're just going to let the process play out," Samson said.

 

Tuesday, Samson said the club has been "negotiating aggressively" in its pursuit of Cespedes, but drew a distinction between Miami's interest in Cespedes and its signings of Jose Reyes, Mark Buehrle and Heath Bell earlier in the offseason. He said the Marlins view Cespedes as a signing that could "put the cherry on top" of a feverish offseason, but have already established clear limits on their bidding for a player with no track record in professional baseball.

 

 

http://espn.go.com/c...sday-agent-says

 

This article confirms Katz said they did not meet with any other teams in Florida...

 

"His agent, Adam Katz, said Cespedes did not speak to other teams while in Florida. The Cubs, White Sox and Tigers are among the teams that have shown interest."

 

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/7563173/gambling-sign-yoenis-cespedes

We spend money on... a closer.. a lead off hitter.. a soft-tossing lefty.. and now possibly an unknown Cuban. What team is this again?

 

 

Da coolest team.

"We went to the Dominican Republic, myself and 10 guys," Guillen said. " We went to see this kid. He's pretty impressive. They compare this kid with a lot of people. They compare this kid with Bo Jackson. Well Bo Jackson wasn't a baseball player. This kid is a baseball player. They compare him with (Raul) Mondesi. I think Mondesi was better than him. That's my own opinion. Mondesi has a better arm, faster, but this kid is pretty good."

 

There has been speculation that Cespedes could command a $60 million contract. That commitment makes Guillen nervous.

 

"There are a lot of question marks out there," he said. "How's he going to handle major league pitching? We don't know. How's he going to handle major league media? We don't know. There are a lot of ifs. Whoever signs him is gambling."

 

Guillen does like Cespedes' confidence.

 

"I saw him say something yesterday: 'I'm not coming to the United States to play in the minor leagues.' Well, that thing can go either way. I don't blame the kid. But people don't look at that as the right answer. To me it's the right answer: 'I come here to play in the big leagues.'"

 

Still, there are question marks.

 

"The tools are there," Guillen said. "But you never know what's going to happen."

 

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/7563173/gambling-sign-yoenis-cespedes

Yoenis Cespedes met with Marlins brass this week and returned to the Domincan Republic with an offer worth roughly $40MM over six years, a source close to the negotiations told Eric Reynoso of Cafe Fuerte. Cespedes, according to the source, still doesn't have any immediate plans to meet with other teams.

 

Prior to meeting with Cespedes, Marlins president David Samson hinted that the club would make an offer to the Cuban outfielder. The interest seems mutual as Cespedes told reporters that he would like to play in Miami.

 

Also within the piece, Reynoso writes that utility player and fellow Cuban Adonis Garciabecame a free agent on Thursday. Agent Carlos Perez says that he has fielded interest from six teams, though the Marlins are not among them. The 26-year-old, who has shown the ability to hit for power, spent this winter with the Magellan Navigators of the Venezuelan League.

 

 

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/02/marlins-make-offer-to-yoenis-cespedes.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

 

That's a lot better than $60 million. I'd do that.....reluctantly.

If he's a nobody, you're stuck paying him for 2 more years, that'll still hamper the team. 6/$40mm is fine.

 

 

That's gotta be the most ass backwards logic I've ever seen, Mike.

 

So... you're basically saying 'we have 6 chips on the table. We can either go all in, or we can bet half and keep half. But.. half is pretty much already all in even though it's only half. So going all in is therefore justified.'

 

Makes. No. Sense.

If he's a nobody, you're stuck paying him for 2 more years, that'll still hamper the team. 6/$40mm is fine.

 

 

That's gotta be the most ass backwards logic I've ever seen, Mike.

 

So... you're basically saying 'we have 6 chips on the table. We can either go all in, or we can bet half and keep half. But.. half is pretty much already all in even though it's only half. So going all in is therefore justified.'

 

Makes. No. Sense.

Makes PERFECT sense, actually!

OK, yeah, it doesn't make sense, but I don't expect him to take anything less than what we offered him, and we're certainly not offering him more for less years.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/02/marlins-make-offer-to-yoenis-cespedes.html

 

Marlins Make Offer To Yoenis Cespedes

 

By Zach Links [February 11, 2012 at 1:54pm CST]

Yoenis Cespedes met with Marlins brass this week and returned to the Domincan Republic with an offer worth roughly $40MM over six years, a source close to the negotiations told Eric Reynoso of Cafe Fuerte. Cespedes, according to the source, still doesn't have any immediate plans to meet with other teams.

Prior to meeting with Cespedes, Marlins president David Samson hinted that the club would make an offer to the Cuban outfielder. The interest seems mutual as Cespedes told reporters that he would like to play in Miami.

Also within the piece, Reynoso writes that utility player and fellow Cuban Adonis Garcia became a free agent on Thursday. Agent Carlos Perez says that he has fielded interest from six teams, though the Marlins are not among them. The 26-year-old, who has shown the ability to hit for power, spent this winter with the Magellan Navigators of the Venezuelan League.

 

 

wow i was telling my friends the other day that I would guess 6/42 would be the figure. guess i might not be that far off

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.