January 25, 201214 yr It's called "losing weight." He can do it. He could have done it his entire career.
January 25, 201214 yr It's called "losing weight." He can do it. He's tried many, many times. I remember when he was first traded to Tigers, he went into ST in "the best shape of his life" (and a lot of us were pissed he didn't work out like that when he was here). He was already out of it by the time the regular season started.
January 25, 201214 yr Author The more he waits, the more he loses any advantages he has in bargaining. He's not going to get paid like the rest, and it's because of that reason. How's that theory working out for ya?
January 25, 201214 yr Author Give me some examples of players getting abnormally large contracts at the end of a huge offseason pool. It really doesn't happen. And if this doesn't count because it's not "abnormally large," then you've simply constructed a theory that can never be proven wrong. In which case I throw my hands up Miley-style.
January 25, 201214 yr I'm not shocked at the money. I'm shocked at the 9 years. But please, don't tell me you're not shocked.
January 25, 201214 yr Cabrera is going to put up huge numbers next year with Fielder behind him. Cabrera is going to put up huge numbers next year because he's Cabrera. Well he always puts up great numbers but has he ever had a player of Princes' caliber behind him? I think he is going to put up ridiculous numbers.
January 25, 201214 yr I believe the Tigers are going to do their best to get Miggy ready for third because it's better he stay in shape, but once the season starts he'll be logging most of his time at first or DH, and the spot starts he gets at third are just going to help cumatively in getting more productive bats in the lineup every now and then. I just realized that Prince is going to be attending ST less than a mile from where I live. I always attend a couple games but now I'll have another star to see in person. Too bad Joker Marchant's OF seats are in left and not right.
January 25, 201214 yr I just realized that Prince is going to be attending ST less than a mile from where I live. It's nice to get a good six weeks of MLB in your own back yard, isn't it? In my case it's about two miles, but nonetheless awesome.
January 25, 201214 yr Author I'm not shocked at the money. I'm shocked at the 9 years. But please, don't tell me you're not shocked. I'm surprised at the money, too. Pujols got $24MM/year over 10 years, and Prince got $23.77M/9 years. He basically got the same deal as Pujols for 1 less year, and that's pretty amazing. Some on here were estimating Fielder more in the $18-20MM/years, especially for a lengthy deal. Either way, this is definitely an example of someone holding out for a while when there was a large free agent pool, yet still ending up with a huge contract, one that is indeed surprising. At the very least, he did not suffer at all.
January 25, 201214 yr It's funny because I've always heard of it as being referred to as the 'top 2%'. Yet somehow, 'we are the 99%'. There's that ambiguous 98th percentile who likes to go both ways and avoid conflict.
January 25, 201214 yr Jon Heyman @JonHeymanCBS #marlins plan to go to spring w/ hanley. briefly weighed hanley trade to clear $ for prince (but decided against it) I wonder how much truth there is in this statement ...
January 25, 201214 yr Jon Heyman @JonHeymanCBS #marlins plan to go to spring w/ hanley. briefly weighed hanley trade to clear $ for prince (but decided against it) I wonder how much truth there is in this statement ...
January 25, 201214 yr if anyone on the other team hits a ground ball Detroit will simply grant them 1st base, rather than risk an injury or error from their infielders.
January 25, 201214 yr A simple answer is to have both Cabrera and Fielder play 1st base simultaneously and have gravity do the rest of the work.
January 25, 201214 yr Author A simple answer is to have both Cabrera and Fielder play 1st base simultaneously and have gravity do the rest of the work. What work, bringing the other 7 position players into orbit around them?
January 25, 201214 yr A simple answer is to have both Cabrera and Fielder play 1st base simultaneously and have gravity do the rest of the work. What work, bringing the other 7 position players into orbit around them? Orbit? That's not how gravity works. They'd all just clump up, really.
January 25, 201214 yr Cabrera to 3B? Who is their DH? Isn't Inge still under contract? just for next year (5.5mil). the Tigers have an option on him for 2013. I guess he'll play 3B for now and hit the bench if/when V-Mart comes back this season.
January 25, 201214 yr A simple answer is to have both Cabrera and Fielder play 1st base simultaneously and have gravity do the rest of the work. This was pretty damn funny. Love the fat jokes.
January 26, 201214 yr A simple answer is to have both Cabrera and Fielder play 1st base simultaneously and have gravity do the rest of the work. Haha. Good stuff.
January 26, 201214 yr I'm still amazed that people were really hoping for Fielder. He's not even worth close to what Boras was going to (and did) get him. He's going to to be DHing by year 5 of that 9 year deal and his bat will begin to regress shortly after that. Why spend that money on Fielder just because he's available? Elite first basemen aren't that hard to find. Votto will be a free agent soon and unlike Fielder, he can actually play defense pretty damn well. And of course the Marlins need to have a Mike Stanton mega-deal in the back of their minds too.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.