Ozzie suspended 5 games

Admin

You do know Castro did not kill two million, right?

Two million over 50 years is probably a conservative estimate. Why do you continually make excuses for Castro?

2 million is just absurd and comparing a Latin American dictator (and on the brutal dictator scale, he falls below some of some nastry US supported ones in Guatemala, Nicaragua, Chile) to the planned genocide of millions upon millions is silly.

And to diminish the lives of the people who were obviously taken due to Castro's reign, but even the Miami Herald gives an estimate of 100k that the revolution has killed in it's lifetime, which considering the source is probably very high.

Perfectly stated.

Cuban-born checking in...

I feel everyone is overreacting, not because of what was said, but because of who said it. Let's face it, Ozzie is an uneducated, fast-talking, slow-thinking man, who knows of nothing but baseball. Obviously the guy misspoke in the interview, he said it himself, he's lived in Miami for 12 years, if he really was a Castro supporter, those would be the last words to come out of his mouth. I feel that in the moment, being interviewed by Time magazine, thinking of himself as the big-shot can't-be-censored manager, he was too proud to redact his statement (again, not the brightest guy around).

Bottom line is the people who are complaining about this are old Cubans, a lot of whom have lived longer in the US than they did back in their native land. These are the same people who tell you how Cuba was basically the Garden of Eden before Castro got there, and all they do is complain about this country and how much better Cuba was. These guys couldn't be any happier that Ozzy opened his big mouth because it gives them a chance to re-chant their stories and cry.

Some idiot said something stupid, who cares; f*** that noise, let's play baseball.

MLB looking into the situation. May face further punishment.

Marlins suspended manager Ozzie Guillen for five games for his recent comments regarding Fidel Castro.

The Marlins levied the suspension after Guillen recently told Time magazine he loves Castro and respects the Cuban dictator for staying in power so long. Guillen has already apologized for his comments, but will do so again at a press conference in Miami on Tuesday at 10:30 a.m. ET. MLB is reportedly looking into the situation, but it's not known if Guillen will face further punishment.

Interesting...

It's not the first time that Guillen has praised Castro publicly. In a Men's Journal interview in 2008, Guillen was asked to name the toughest man he knows.

"Fidel Castro," he said. "He's a bull---- dictator and everybody's against him, and he still survives, has power. Still has a country behind him. Everywhere he goes they roll out the red carpet. I don't admire his philosophy. I admire him."

Marlins suspended manager Ozzie Guillen for five games for his recent comments regarding Fidel Castro.

The Marlins levied the suspension after Guillen recently told Time magazine he loves Castro and respects the Cuban dictator for staying in power so long. Guillen has already apologized for his comments, but will do so again at a press conference in Miami on Tuesday at 10:30 a.m. ET. MLB is reportedly looking into the situation, but it's not known if Guillen will face further punishment.

Nah no way Bud Selig actually touches this. That would very unprecedented and ridiculous.

Nah no way Bud Selig actually touches this. That would very unprecedented and ridiculous.

Agreed. Doubt anything happens, but ya never know.

I don't make excuses for Castro

Really? Then why did you say:

Castro did not kill two million

and

Mao didn't actually kill 70 million

Castro has killed at least 2 million (that's a mere 38,000 or so per year over 53 years) and Mao thought nothing of killing millions, but nobody knows the real total, 70 million may be on the low side. Stalin's 30 million was probably low, also.

But, what is it with you defenders of mass-killing totalitarians? Would it be OK if Castro had only killed 1 million or Mao 35 million or Stalin 15 million?

At least Ozzie has the excuse that he runs his mouth before engaging his brain.

and

Castro has killed at least 2 million (that's a mere 38,000 or so per year over 53 years) and Mao thought nothing of killing millions, but nobody knows the real total, 70 million may be on the low side. Stalin's 30 million was probably low, also.

But, what is it with you defenders of mass-killing totalitarians? Would it be OK if Castro had only killed 1 million or Mao 35 million or Stalin 15 million?

And what is with you making up statistics on how many people have died due to Castro's regime and then resorting to ad hominem even though you're blatantly incorrect. http://www.miamihera...ro/victims.html

Castro did not single out a single ethnic population and eradicate them systemically. He came to power violently by overthrowing a previously violent regime and took steps to consolidate his power and weed out any naysayers through violent means. He is a dictator and his regime is responsible for countless acts of human rights violations. Unfortunately, the Cuban case is not atypical in the region and certainly not the worst (and the worst were backed/supported by the US).

Now he's blaming the fact that he was thinking one thing in Spanish and said another in English. Give me a break. He's gone back and forth between English and Spanish like nothing in this press conference itself. That's a lame ass excuse.

There's no way you can misinterpret anything for "I love Fidel Castro."

and

Sigh, brother you don't get it. Those numbers aren't real. They're not history they're made up. There's no need to do that anyways. It's not good to make things up even to make a point when it comes to fudging history. I don't know if you're educated or from the US, so it's hard for me to say why you are so adamant about these made up figures. Just know, you don't need to do it. Democracy and human rights have enough reasons to be fought for on their own merit.

Now he's blaming the fact that he was thinking one thing in Spanish and said another in English. Give me a break. He's gone back and forth between English and Spanish like nothing in this press conference itself. That's a lame ass excuse.

If that's what you believe, then nothing he can say will fix it, so what do you want to hear? "I said I love Fidel Castro but I was just kidding"? I think subscription to Time is needed for full article so I haven't read the entire thing, but LeBatard was talking about it yesterday and indicated that he corrected himself as soon as he said love.

If that's what you believe, then nothing he can say will fix it, so what do you want to hear? "I said I love Fidel Castro but I was just kidding"? I think subscription to Time is needed for full article so I haven't read the entire thing, but LeBatard was talking about it yesterday and indicated that he corrected himself as soon as he said love.

All I want to hear was I made the comment spur of the moment and it was stupid. I don't want to hear an excuse about his language that obviously isn't true.

Ozzie was trying to sound liek a cool mother f***er, like people who say they love Tony Montana and stuff like that. It's stupid but whatever, he's kind of a stupid dude.

And while i do think he probably meant to say "I love the guy" I will say that the word "love" is a pretty nuanced word between languages. The way you say it in english can be rendered a few different ways in Spanish and vice versa. I don't know what was in his head, but it is a pretty nuanced word to translate.