Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Juan Fransisco

Featured Replies

Also, unless you're stealing 50 bases a year, OPS is a terrific stat.

 

OPS can give you an idea about a players abilitys but it doesn't tell the whole story. I go more by batting average because a player can have a high ops because they walk alot but if they are batting 250 year after year they are obviously not very good hitters. You have to build a lineup with different kinds of players not just high OPS guys. Walking is not a skill so I don't really care if somebody walks alot unless they are my lead off hitter then I don't care how they got on base. For the rest of the lineup I like a guy who knows how to handle the stick.

Also, unless you're stealing 50 bases a year, OPS is a terrific stat.

 

OPS can give you an idea about a players abilitys but it doesn't tell the whole story. I go more by batting average because a player can have a high ops because they walk alot but if they are batting 250 year after year they are obviously not very good hitters. You have to build a lineup with different kinds of players not just high OPS guys. Walking is not a skill so I don't really care if somebody walks alot unless they are my lead off hitter then I don't care how they got on base. For the rest of the lineup I like a guy who knows how to handle the stick.Of course drawing walks is a skill. Some guys swing at pitches out of the strike zone more often than others.

This is why you're bothering everyone.

Solano is a good player. Name me 15 2nd baseman you would rather have. You can't. I can name maybe 5 or 10. He is good enough as long as he isn't hitting third or cleanup. The point I am making is that when he comes back and yelling comes up we need to try coghlan out at 3rd base instead of bringing in an unproven player like Juan Francisco and just HANDiNG him the job when we have proven players that we can put there without the question marks.

 

2nd basemen I would rather have than Donovan Solano:

 

Robinson Cano

Ian Kinsler

Dustin Pedroia

Matt Carpenter

Chase Utley

Marco Scutaro

Howie Kendrick

Brandon Phillips

Daniel Murphy

Jason Kipnis

Omar Infante

Jose Altuve

Neil Walker

Jedd Gyorko

Mark Ellis

Eric Sogard

Danny Espinosa

Derek Dietrich

Jeff Keppinger

Dan Uggla

Rickie Weeks

 

 

 

And Zobrist

Also, unless you're stealing 50 bases a year, OPS is a terrific stat.

 

OPS can give you an idea about a players abilitys but it doesn't tell the whole story. I go more by batting average because a player can have a high ops because they walk alot but if they are batting 250 year after year they are obviously not very good hitters. You have to build a lineup with different kinds of players not just high OPS guys. Walking is not a skill so I don't really care if somebody walks alot unless they are my lead off hitter then I don't care how they got on base. For the rest of the lineup I like a guy who knows how to handle the stick.Of course drawing walks is a skill. Some guys swing at pitches out of the strike zone more often than others.

This is why you're botheringng everyone.

 

Walks are only important for a lead off man. Anyone else in the lineup needs to drive in runs and you don't do that with walks unless the bases are loaded. So the farther down the lineup you hit the less walks you should be taking and you need to be focused on driving in runs. The other team would love it if Stanton walked 4 times every game. The meat of the order has to swing the big stick and drive in the speedy top of the order. That is why ops is overrated to me. Average home runs and RBI are still the most important statistics that is why there is a leader board for them. Nobody cares about who leads the league in walks lol.

i think it is Donovan solano. it has to be.

 

I think he is Ozzie GuillanHis English is too good, if anything its heath bell

I'm gonna join the faction that believes you're just screwing around.

 

Why do you think that? Walks just aren't that important. Nobody cares who the all time walk leader is. Any sports fan can tell you who the all time hits and home run champion is though. A walk is better than a strikeout of course but look at guys like Vladimir Guerrero or the year Jorge Cantu had for us in 2006 those are guys that were super productive and hardly walked at all. Would you rather have Vladimir Guerrero or Nick Johnson batting for you? Think about it.

I think the Marlins should give the Braves a little something for Francisco. The Marlins need to find some guys that can drive the ball. Francisco has more than enough power to hit the ball out of Marlins' Park. The Braves aren't going to lose Francisco on waivers, they are going to trade him.

I think the Marlins should give the Braves a little something for Francisco. The Marlins need to find some guys that can drive the ball. Francisco has more than enough power to hit the ball out of Marlins' Park. The Braves aren't going to lose Francisco on waivers, they are going to trade him.

 

Maybe they'd like Ruggiano and Ryan Webb. We won't need Ruggiano soon and he could be a good 4th outfielder or platoon with upton. We don't really need Ryan Webb. Not that I want Francisco so I wouldn't want to give up more than that. I'm curious why some of you would want this guy he is a career 254 hitter and for you people who like ops it is only 730 so what is it that you like about him he isn't really young either.

I'm gonna join the faction that believes you're just screwing around.

 

Why do you think that? Walks just aren't that important. Nobody cares who the all time walk leader is. Any sports fan can tell you who the all time hits and home run champion is though. A walk is better than a strikeout of course but look at guys like Vladimir Guerrero or the year Jorge Cantu had for us in 2006 those are guys that were super productive and hardly walked at all. Would you rather have Vladimir Guerrero or Nick Johnson batting for you? Think about it.I'd rather have the guy with the higher OPS

Francisco would be great if the Braves DFA him. He wouldn't be someone I would trade for, though.

Even sadder than a guy who gets pleasure out of being a troll are the people who engage it in argument.

 

And even if its genuine, the arguments are so bad that they don't warrant a response.

I'm gonna join the faction that believes you're just screwing around.

 

Why do you think that? Walks just aren't that important. Nobody cares who the all time walk leader is. Any sports fan can tell you who the all time hits and home run champion is though. A walk is better than a strikeout of course but look at guys like Vladimir Guerrero or the year Jorge Cantu had for us in 2006 those are guys that were super productive and hardly walked at all. Would you rather have Vladimir Guerrero or Nick Johnson batting for you? Think about it.

 

 

Would you rather have a Ben Zobrist or a Donovan Solano batting for you?

 

No one is saying it's the greatest thing ever, but considering your praise for Donovan Solano...you should probably like walks. Not that Solano draws walks, but he also doesn't drive in runs. He basically hits singles. Walks...singles...they're one base. Why devalue the walk?

Even sadder than a guy who gets pleasure out of being a troll are the people who engage it in argument.

 

And even if its genuine, the arguments are so bad that they don't warrant a response.

 

 

I don't think he's trolling.

I think the Marlins should give the Braves a little something for Francisco. The Marlins need to find some guys that can drive the ball. Francisco has more than enough power to hit the ball out of Marlins' Park. The Braves aren't going to lose Francisco on waivers, they are going to trade him.

 

Maybe they'd like Ruggiano and Ryan Webb. We won't need Ruggiano soon and he could be a good 4th outfielder or platoon with upton. We don't really need Ryan Webb. Not that I want Francisco so I wouldn't want to give up more than that. I'm curious why some of you would want this guy he is a career 254 hitter and for you people who like ops it is only 730 so what is it that you like about him he isn't really young either.

 

 

Well, apparently you like him the most because you're the one who's willing to give up Ruggiano and Webb to get him...

 

Anyway, he has power. He's also a platoon player. He can't hit lefties. If you look at his .OPS against righties, it looks a lot better.

Who would be platoon at third base if he can't hit lefties? Isn't Francisco right handed batting? All of our 3b options can't hit against lefties.

Who would be platoon at third base if he can't hit lefties? Isn't Francisco right handed batting? All of our 3b options can't hit against lefties.

 

 

No, he's left-handed.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.