Ozuna in CF

If LF is the easiest OF position to play, then Stanton should be there.

Ozuna is much better in RF and Ruggiano is a better CFer.

Ruggiano a better CF...why? Is it because he's _____? Thats the only thing I can think of, since Ozuna seems more than capable of manning CF, although I think his tools would be better utilized at RF.

So, in other words, you agree that Stanton should be in left.

1B

If LF is the easiest OF position to play, then Stanton should be there.

Ozuna is much better in RF and Ruggiano is a better CFer.

Ruggiano a better CF...why? Is it because he's _____? Thats the only thing I can think of, since Ozuna seems more than capable of manning CF, although I think his tools would be better utilized at RF.

So, in other words, you agree that Stanton should be in left.

1B

Terrible idea

The point is that Ruggiano is not going to be an outfielder for the team over the long term regardless of whether or not Stanton is traded. He's not an everyday outfielder on a good team. He probably shouldn't even be starting everyday for the Marlins, either.

I'm not even convinced that shifting the outfield positions will win you any more games considering that Stanton has little experience in left. Even if it does win you more games, that really doesn't matter because the Marlins aren't competing for anything. If wins don't mean much at this point, there is really no reason to move Stanton to another position.

It's a bad idea.

Ruggiano is actually an average major league CF considering his entire package of offense and defense right now and would start at that position for 10-15 teams immediately if traded tomorrow...

Just saying, he's better than you think.

Name those 10-15 teams right now, sir.

1. B.J. Upton (Braves)

2. Alejandro De Aza (White Sox)

3. Matt Kemp (Dodgers)

4. Chris Young (A's)

5. Michael Saunders (Mariners)

6. Desmond Jennings (Rays)

7. Lorenzo Cain (Royals)

8. Brandon Barnes (Astros)

9. Peter Bourjos (Angels)

10. Juan Lagares (Mets)

11. Aaron Hicks (Twins)

12. Alexi Amarista (Padres)

13. Denard Span (Nats)

14. Jon Jay (Cardinals)

15. Ben Revere (Phillies)

16. Angel Pagan (Giants)

All arguably worse than Ruggiano as starters in CF this year. Even if you made an argument for 6 of them, he's absolutely an improvement over 10+ starting CFers in baseball right now.

Astros

Braves (B.J Upton has been dreadful) [won't happen]

Cardinals [Jon Jay]

Cubs

Dodgers (Matt Kemp no-show) [Ethier, Crawford, Puig can all take outfield]

Mariners

Mets

Phillies [Revere]

maybe Rangers

Twins

White SoxJust some quote edits. Most others are also debatable.

Astros

Braves (B.J Upton has been dreadful) [won't happen]

Cardinals [Jon Jay]

Cubs

Dodgers (Matt Kemp no-show) [Ethier, Crawford, Puig can all take outfield]

Mariners

Mets

Phillies [Revere]

maybe Rangers

Twins

White SoxJust some quote edits. Most others are also debatable.

Would you like to address my much more specific list?

Inciting, are we?

I don't have the time tonight to get through all those players' stats to compare to Ruggiano's. But, the Astros were worse last year than this, I believe, and Ruggiano rotted in their minor league systems, I will say that for now.

Can't blame Ruggiano for the Astros being the most poorly run organization in baseball until this season...

Inciting, are we?

I don't have the time tonight to get through all those players' stats to compare to Ruggiano's. But, the Astros were worse last year than this, I believe, and Ruggiano rotted in their minor league systems, I will say that for now.

Can't blame Ruggiano for the Astros being the most poorly run organization in baseball until this season...

Yea, I mean, didn't Dan Uggla rot in Arizona as well?

Easily more than half of the names don't make sense. Designating a player as a legitimate starter isn't just about the current season's stats. Career numbers play something into that. In other words, no team in its right mind would be starting Ruggiano over Upton or Kemp. That goes for some of the less high dollar players too. Several more are clearly having better seasons (Bourjos, Jennings, come to mind right away) than Ruggiano is.

Otherwise notice that you have pretty much listed all of the worst teams in baseball.

1. B.J. Upton (Braves)

2. Alejandro De Aza (White Sox)

3. Matt Kemp (Dodgers)

4. Chris Young (A's)

5. Michael Saunders (Mariners)

6. Desmond Jennings (Rays)

7. Lorenzo Cain (Royals)

8. Brandon Barnes (Astros)

9. Peter Bourjos (Angels)

10. Juan Lagares (Mets)

11. Aaron Hicks (Twins)

12. Alexi Amarista (Padres)

13. Denard Span (Nats)

14. Jon Jay (Cardinals)

15. Ben Revere (Phillies)

16. Angel Pagan (Giants)

Since you're saying just center field ...

1. B.J. Upton (Braves) Won't happen, making too much money, plus Jordan Schafer is playing well above his career numbers, and he can man center.

2. Alejandro De Aza (White Sox) Actually having an OK season, but you may have a case here

3. Matt Kemp (Dodgers) He's been injured, and Dodgers already have three other guys who can man center field already IN the big leagues [Ethier, Crawford (also injured, return soon), Puig]

4. Chris Young (A's) Coco Crisp, and no - plus Cespedes can also play center.

5. Michael Saunders (Mariners) this one you actually have a case on and I can agree with this. Would be nice to see Franklin Gutierrez stay healthy for an entire year, though.

6. Desmond Jennings (Rays) Overall, no. Rays had Ruggiano sitting in the minors, as well, and they're not a "poorly run organization."

7. Lorenzo Cain (Royals) Agree on this one, Ruggiano would be a complete upgrade.

8. Brandon Barnes (Astros) Also agree on this one - OPSing under .700 with half his games at Minute Made ...

9. Peter Bourjos (Angels) First, I think Trout should be in center over Bourjos, but that's me. Second, Bourjos has also been injured, but he's playing well overall this year. Inflated BABIP, yes.

10. Juan Lagares (Mets) Yes on this one. Especially since their other options are Ankiel and Nieuwenheis.

11. Aaron Hicks (Twins) Agree on this one, as well, but more as a stopgap - Byron Buxton still has a couple years to go in the Minors.

12. Alexi Amarista (Padres) Amarista is an infielder playing out of position, and they've also got Venable (playing poorly this year though) and Denorfia who can play center, plus injured Maybin.

13. Denard Span (Nats) If the Nats really needed, they could put Werth or Harper in center.

14. Jon Jay (Cardinals) Having a down year with the bat, so you can make a slight case for this.

15. Ben Revere (Phillies) Revere is doing what he was traded to do. Get on, steal bases (he has 20). Phillies overall are crap.

16. Angel Pagan (Giants) He's injured now, played through injury, and Gregor Blanco is out there now, so, no. Blanco is doing his job, as well, of getting on base.

So, there ya have it. 5 "for sure" and 2 "maybe" on this list.

Not going into deep detail on this one.

My point was more or less to prove that Ruggiano is capable of being a starting CFer on more than one team in this league... Keep in mind, he's on pace to blast 23 HR's and swipe 17 bags in under 500 at-bats, and he hasn't even hit one out of his home ballpark (!) Yes, I said 10-15, which he actually is out producing 10+ other starting CFers because you can't simply exclude guys like Upton or Kemp because of their names or careers... But I get your point, as well.

Now, do I think Ruggs is going to be dealt to a contender to be their starting OFer and #6 hitter down the stretch? NO, although based on his home/road splits he could be a big piece in the lineup for a team like the Phillies that play in a sandbox and could use an upgrade in the middle of the order. But do I think we'll be able to grab a mid-level prospect for him to be the #4 outfielder capable of playing all OF positions on a contending team down the stretch? Absolutely...

The Phillies aren't a contender this year, so they don't need to "upgrade" anything. In fact, I expect them to be sellers this trade deadline and restock. I've heard Chase Utley may be traded to Toronto. I'm also not sure the stock would be that high (a mid-level prospect) for a guy who would be a bench bat against lefties and a late inning defensive replacement.

Also, I didn't exclude Upton and Kemp on name alone, I excluded them because they already have other guys on their team that can play center field that can replace what they currently have. Thus, they don't need to nab a Ruggiano.

My point was more or less to prove that Ruggiano is capable of being a starting CFer on more than one team in this league...

I thought you were originally responding to what I said. If you look at my post again, you'll see that I claimed that Ruggiano isn't a starter on a good team. I never said that he couldn't start on any team.

So it seems like you went to a lot of effort for no reason.

My point was more or less to prove that Ruggiano is capable of being a starting CFer on more than one team in this league...

I thought you were originally responding to what I said. If you look at my post again, you'll see that I claimed that Ruggiano isn't a starter on a good team. I never said that he couldn't start on any team.

So it seems like you went to a lot of effort for no reason.

Well, my point was more or less he can contribute on a good team, which is true. There are a few competitive teams that he could certainly help out as a 4th OFer that gets a good amount of playing time... Especially in a smaller park, this guy could actually be a good player.

OH, by the way. Mark Texiera is out for the rest of the season with wrist surgery. The Yankees are going to be very aggressive trying to find some offense and I would be very surprised if they didn't give us a call for a couple of players. I wouldn't rule out Justin Ruggiano as one of them, he could certainly fit nicely in the middle of their lineup if/when they release Vernon Wells...