2. Solano 2B

3. Yelich LF

4. Stanton RF

5. Ruggiano CF

6. Morrison 1B

7. Hechavarria SS

8. Mathis C

9. Koehler P

First batting order of the season I would say is anywhere near a legitimate major league team. Coghlan at third and leading off, if he can hit the way he was before the DL, changes the entire dynamic of the team offensively. Breaks up the left-handed batters, and allows everyone to hit either in, or near, their natural spot in the order. For the first time in quite a bit I am excited to watch a game, even if Koehler is starting...

1. Coghlan 3B

2. Solano 2B

3. Yelich LF

4. Stanton RF

5. Ruggiano CF

6. Morrison 1B

7. Hechavarria SS

8. Mathis C

9. Koehler P

First batting order of the season I would say is anywhere near a legitimate major league team. Coghlan at third and leading off, if he can hit the way he was before the DL, changes the entire dynamic of the team offensively. Breaks up the left-handed batters, and allows everyone to hit either in, or near, their natural spot in the order. For the first time in quite a bit I am excited to watch a game, even if Koehler is starting...

Well, the whole hech, solano, mathis thing really hurts that major league team theory I'm afraid. And Coghlan is nowhere near a lock to be as successful as he was during his hot streak

If we agree that this batting order is the best we've put out there offensively in quite some time, how's it look if we use that order as a basis for a potential (yet still realistic) 2014 lineup...

1. Coghlan 3B

2. Dietrich 2B

3. Yelich LF

4. Stanton RF

5. Ozuna CF

6. Morrison 1B

7. Free Agent C

8. Hechavarria SS

9. Pitcher

How's that as a starting point for 2014?

I hate predicting future seasons before this one has finished but this lineup had me thinking so have at it...

If we agree that this batting order is the best we've put out there offensively in quite some time, how's it look if we use that order as a basis for a potential (yet still realistic) 2014 lineup...

1. Coghlan 3B

2. Dietrich 2B

3. Yelich LF

4. Stanton RF

5. Ozuna CF

6. Morrison 1B

7. Free Agent C

8. Hechavarria SS

9. Pitcher

I hate predicting future seasons before this one has finished but this lineup had me thinking so have at it...

Potential to be an average to slightly below average lineup, which if our pitching works out is actually a good thing.

1. Coghlan 3B

2. Dietrich 2B

3. Yelich LF

4. Stanton RF

5. Ozuna CF

6. Morrison 1B

7. Free Agent C

8. Hechavarria SS

9. Pitcher

Potential to be an average to slightly below average lineup, which if our pitching works out is actually a good thing.

It would probably be average if they sign a catcher that's any good offensively... Above average if that catcher is McCann...

But SilverBullet is right, the lineup got me thinking about how the future may not be so bad if Coghs can hit and play a little D at 3B.

1. Coghlan 3B

2. Dietrich 2B

3. Yelich LF

4. Stanton RF

5. Ozuna CF

6. Morrison 1B

7. Free Agent C

8. Hechavarria SS

9. Pitcher

It would probably be average if they sign a catcher that's any good offensively... Above average if that catcher is McCann...

But SilverBullet is right, the lineup got me thinking about how the future may not be so bad if Coghs can hit and play a little D at 3B.

McCann might make this an average lineup. Ozuna, Deitrich and especially Adeiny don't really give me a fuzzy feeling going forward, but hey maybe they all work out. And Coghlan is a potential stop gap until Moran is ready and that's it so I wouldn't really count on him so much to save this lineup

1. Coghlan 3B

2. Dietrich 2B

3. Yelich LF

4. Stanton RF

5. Ozuna CF

6. Morrison 1B

7. Free Agent C

8. Hechavarria SS

9. Pitcher

McCann might make this an average lineup. Ozuna, Deitrich and especially Adeiny don't really give me a fuzzy feeling going forward, but hey maybe they all work out. And Coghlan is a potential stop gap until Moran is ready and that's it so I wouldn't really count on him so much to save this lineup

I guess i'm a glass half full kind of guy. Remember, we're hoping the prospects take a step forward... not backward. If they do, each and every one of them should be capable of a .700+ OPS next season, with the exception of Hech. I am at least excited that this team might be able to put a few more runs on the board next year.

1. Coghlan 3B

2. Dietrich 2B

3. Yelich LF

4. Stanton RF

5. Ozuna CF

6. Morrison 1B

7. Free Agent C

8. Hechavarria SS

9. Pitcher

I guess i'm a glass half full kind of guy. Remember, we're hoping the prospects take a step forward... not backward. If they do, each and every one of them should be capable of a .700+ OPS next season, with the exception of Hech. I am at least excited that this team might be able to put a few more runs on the board next year.

I'm also being a glass half full kind of guy here. If we go from a historically abysmal offense to merely a below average one than that would be quite a feat

1. Coghlan 3B

2. Dietrich 2B

3. Yelich LF

4. Stanton RF

5. Ozuna CF

6. Morrison 1B

7. Free Agent C

8. Hechavarria SS

9. Pitcher

Three straight lefties to start off, and Dietrich strikes out too much to bat second.

However, I don't have much to offer in terms of a suggestion to change this up, so...

1. Coghlan 3B

2. Dietrich 2B

3. Yelich LF

4. Stanton RF

5. Ozuna CF

6. Morrison 1B

7. Free Agent C

8. Hechavarria SS

9. Pitcher

Three straight lefties to start off, and Dietrich strikes out too much to bat second.

However, I don't have much to offer in terms of a suggestion to change this up, so...

Why not lomo and his good obp batting 2nd?

1. Coghlan 3B

2. Dietrich 2B

3. Yelich LF

4. Stanton RF

5. Ozuna CF

6. Morrison 1B

7. Free Agent C

8. Hechavarria SS

9. Pitcher

Still three straight lefties to start off. :(

But, like I said, not many options to put in there. Hechavarria is one, but not a good one. I'm not a fan of two lefties batting consecutively, let alone three, but if we had to start with two lefties, then Yelich/Morrison would be ideal, Stanton third, and then go from there. But even then ...

We've got too many lefties :(

1. Coghlan 3B

2. Dietrich 2B

3. Yelich LF

4. Stanton RF

5. Ozuna CF

6. Morrison 1B

7. Free Agent C

8. Hechavarria SS

9. Pitcher

But, like I said, not many options to put in there. Hechavarria is one, but not a good one. I'm not a fan of two lefties batting consecutively, let alone three, but if we had to start with two lefties, then Yelich/Morrison would be ideal, Stanton third, and then go from there. But even then ...

Was it McKeon who was always wishing he had a lefty bat in his lineup? And now we've got potentially four in this lineup. Wow.

1. Coghlan 3B

2. Dietrich 2B

3. Yelich LF

4. Stanton RF

5. Ozuna CF

6. Morrison 1B

7. Free Agent C

8. Hechavarria SS

9. Pitcher

That's the right answer. Yelich, Stanton, and Morrison will likely have the highest OBPs in next year's lineup (FAs notwithstanding) and will also be the best overall hitters. So, they ought to be 1-2-3 in the lineup. Yelich, Morrison, Stanton sounds best.

2 lefties in a row....whatever. Offensive mediocrity isn't even within our grasp at the moment, let alone perfection. Just put your best hitters up front and maximize their PAs.

1. Coghlan 3B

2. Dietrich 2B

3. Yelich LF

4. Stanton RF

5. Ozuna CF

6. Morrison 1B

7. Free Agent C

8. Hechavarria SS

9. Pitcher

I agree with both statements. Not wild about 3 straight lefties, but the only other option would be below with Hech batting second. The only thing that makes me like the idea of him batting second is that he should get a ton of pitches to hit. This lineup breaks up the lefties and 3-7 could achieve some strong numbers. The ONLY way this lineup works, however, is if Coghlan gets on base enough to stay in the leadoff spot. If he can't leadoff, then Yelich can't hit third, Stanton can't hit cleanup, etc. It basically allows us to have almost every hitter in their natural spot of the order, which is huge.

1. Coghlan 3B

2. Hechavarria SS

3. Yelich LF

4. Stanton RF

5. Morrison 1B

6. Ozuna/Marisnick CF

7. Dietrich 2B

8. Mathis/FA C

9. Pitcher

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.