Fourth Outfielder

Michael

How about Ichiro? His baseball career would face to finish line. Still remaining as FA.

If he want to make lots money, we couldn't sign with him, but I think he can accept backup roll gladly.

As time goes by, that possibility will grow.

I really like that idea. Trade Haren for something else. I'd also we willing to bring back Boni with a Spring Training invite.

How about Ichiro? His baseball career would face to finish line. Still remaining as FA.

If he want to make lots money, we couldn't sign with him, but I think he can accept backup roll gladly.

As time goes by, that possibility will grow.

I really like that idea. Trade Haren for something else. I'd also we willing to bring back Boni with a Spring Training invite.

I'm all about Boni in a utility role.

Am I alone on Austin Wates? Not a great bat or anything, but our 4th OFer will rarely see the field. He's a glove first guy capable of playing all 3 spots and he's a great pinch run option as well, something we've been lacking a while. Not to mention he's displayed great plate discipline, another benefit off the bench.

You are so alone on that, Wild Blue is sleeping on my couch tonight and my wife is taking her Apartment Hunting in the morning.

I don't do couches or apartments... or fourth outfielders. I think it's a waste of a roster spot.

Am I alone on Austin Wates? Not a great bat or anything, but our 4th OFer will rarely see the field. He's a glove first guy capable of playing all 3 spots and he's a great pinch run option as well, something we've been lacking a while. Not to mention he's displayed great plate discipline, another benefit off the bench.

You are so alone on that, Wild Blue is sleeping on my couch tonight and my wife is taking her Apartment Hunting in the morning.

I don't do couches or apartments... or fourth outfielders. I think it's a waste of a roster spot.

You must have a pretty deep lineup if you won't do a Fourth Outfielder.... Good for you.

Bad, very bad, for WildCard

You can move in with me and my wife- enjoy the guest room and second bathroom. Your chore is vacuuming and being pretty.

And good news, cold beer in the bottom shelf and I have hardwood floors!

Definitely should check on venable and maybe even middlebrooks if they want to keep being crazy. Don't know if we have that much to deal

Dan Haren

San Diego could really used Dietrich. He would play a lot at 2B/SS/3B as a lefty option to their right handed heavy team. Marlins also have a lot of back end starters (Koehler, Phelps, Hand) and relievers they can trade.

It's a good matchup. Kennedy, Venable, and Alonso ($16-17 million combined salary), for something like Haren, Dietrich, Koehler/Phelps, Hand/Conley/Dayton, and another minor league arm ($10 million for Haren, plus minimum contracts for the rest) should get that done.

Dietrich is blocked across the board for two years and Loria hates him, Marlins can give them 2-3 young arms they can control for years and be pretty useful in backend SP or good bullpen roles, they get some legitimate veteran innings with Haren to replace Kennedy (who isn't great, but isn't as bad as people make him out to be and would be solid), and they dump $6-7 million in the process for guys they don't need (Smith/Medica can play 1B, Venable never plays on that team with that outfield and Maybin/Almonte around). Marlins get a supercharged # 3 SP, a great 4th OF, and a buy low with Alonso (.250 BABIP) who could be Morse's eventually successor in 2 years.

It all dependent on how much the Padres want to go for it this year with a plus # 3 SP and insane bench, versus doing a combination of short and long term with moving some payroll and guys in walk years, to get a few young pieces they can use for assets they don't need.

There is a combo that works here. Marlins have plenty to broker some variation of a deal with the Padres to get at least a 4th OF, but ideally, get the SP they need to be a true contender and have an eye at the future with someone like Alonso. Works both ways here.

Seems like too many moving parts for too little reason. All we need is Venable, and Kennedy would be too costly. And if they're making a run it's doubtful they would move him anyway. Dietrich makes sense, but Haren does as well, and Dietrich provides us with a pretty great bench player capable of playing pretty much every infield position with patience and power from the left side. I would really hate to give up that depth.

Definitely should check on venable and maybe even middlebrooks if they want to keep being crazy. Don't know if we have that much to deal

Dan Haren

Not even close to enough for venable and middlebrooks

Why on earth do we need Middlebrooks? And why in the world would they trade a guy they just acquired to be a starter?

Dan HarenNot even close to enough for venable and middlebrooks

Why on earth do we need Middlebrooks? And why in the world would they trade a guy they just acquired to be a starter?

Because we have absolutely no true 3B option for the future and it would allow the marlins to slide prado to 2B and Gordon back to SS and give the marlins flexibility if Hech doesn't pan out. I'm not saying they would trade him, but it would be worth a mention if they are already talking venable. They have talked about Myers so just because they acquired someone doesn't mean they won't deal him

Dan Haren

Wild Card is right on here. It's a holiday miracle!

Dan Haren

Wild Card is right on here. It's a holiday miracle!

Spike will disagree.

Dan HarenNot even close to enough for venable and middlebrooksWhy on earth do we need Middlebrooks? And why in the world would they trade a guy they just acquired to be a starter?

Because we have absolutely no true 3B option for the future and it would allow the marlins to slide prado to 2B and Gordon back to SS and give the marlins flexibility if Hech doesn't pan out. I'm not saying they would trade him, but it would be worth a mention if they are already talking venable. They have talked about Myers so just because they acquired someone doesn't mean they won't deal him

This isn't a video game.

Dan HarenNot even close to enough for venable and middlebrooksWhy on earth do we need Middlebrooks? And why in the world would they trade a guy they just acquired to be a starter?Because we have absolutely no true 3B option for the future and it would allow the marlins to slide prado to 2B and Gordon back to SS and give the marlins flexibility if Hech doesn't pan out. I'm not saying they would trade him, but it would be worth a mention if they are already talking venable. They have talked about Myers so just because they acquired someone doesn't mean they won't deal himThis isn't a video game.

You're right. And it's an internet blog. Still didn't prove why we couldn't use middlebrooks. Thanks grandpa, why does my hypothetical scenario compare to a video game? Keep in mind I work for a professional baseball organization.