If we could add one more SP, who would you add?

Who would you add?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you add?

• Doug Fister 
    • Cliff Lee 
    • Yovani Gallardo 
    • Aaron Harang 
    • Tim Lincecum 
    • Other 

Lincecum will never be what he was.  He through 97 from an unnatural arm slot. Last year he topped at 90. That is a little bit of a difference. I mean what is 10 miles per hour between friends? It is the difference between one of the most dominant pitches in the league, to being replaceable. People don't just all of a sudden get there velocity back. Lincecum will be relatively cheap and he will be a project for our "analytics" department. With that said, he is 31, and has been shown to adjust with good information. Cliff lee is a better pitcher who has relied upon deception and skill to beat hitters. He will cost way way way more than Lincecum. I think we already need things to go right. Why not go all in, take the project cheap (3 year 20 million) and if it works we win immediately. If he doesn't you have another replaceable arm who can pitch from the bullpen. Lee will cost more. fister will cost as much as lee and isnt as good. Arroyo isn't as good as lee. Gallardo just cost too much. 

What may very much make lincecums velocity increase is the surgery he just had. According to his doctors that is likely to occur as that hip issue was the reason for the significant drop in velocity. Even if he gets up to 93-94 he can be very good again. And he's only 31. 

Lince hasn't averaged 93/94 since 2008 (2009 was 92.4). If he gets back to averaging 89 or even 90 that would be considered a huge success in the surgery

Frisaro today on the hunt for more pitching...

-They'd prefer to sign a bounce back candidate on a minor league deal with a ST invite and would rather not give a major league contract unless full health is absolutely certain.

-They want to make sure the payroll is being spent on guys on the field and not on the disabled list... which is a main reason why they non-tendered Alvarez.

-They'll check on both Lee and Lincecum but will pass if they see any medical concerns.

-Fister may still be too costly but he is still a potential target along with Simon, Lohse, and Harang.

-No interest in Clippard thus far.

-Tommy Hunter is a relief option.

-If they add a lefty reliever it will not be a LOOGY.

-No mention of Gallardo.

http://m.marlins.mlb.com/news/article/162952284/the-marlins-hope-to-add-a-starting-pitcher

If the options are Simon, Loshe, or Harang I would much rather just go with what we have.  I don't think they would be an improvement over our current band of misfits.  At least the guys we have are young and could always improve.  

Agreed. I'd take a chance on Gallardo Lee and/or Lincecum but after that what we have might be just as good or better.

Frisaro today on the hunt for more pitching...

-They'd prefer to sign a bounce back candidate on a minor league deal with a ST invite and would rather not give a major league contract unless full health is absolutely certain.

-They want to make sure the payroll is being spent on guys on the field and not on the disabled list... which is a main reason why they non-tendered Alvarez.

-They'll check on both Lee and Lincecum but will pass if they see any medical concerns.

-Fister may still be too costly but he is still a potential target along with Simon, Lohse, and Harang.

-No interest in Clippard thus far.

-Tommy Hunter is a relief option.

-If they add a lefty reliever it will not be a LOOGY.

-No mention of Gallardo.

http://m.marlins.mlb.com/news/article/162952284/the-marlins-hope-to-add-a-starting-pitcher

That's very short sighted of them because Alvarez still had controlled years left after this one.  I say they go get Cashner from the Padres who is available and healthy.  He's also only making $7 million this year.  Maybe  Dietrich and a prospect or two can get it done.  Cashner only has this year left before becoming a FA so it shouldn't cost a ton prospect wise.  There are things they can do instead of sitting there and praying that something lands on their lap. 

I'd rather get Shields from the Padres, assuming he isn't hurt. He's probably going to bounce back somewhat with a fluky HR rate and that bad Padres defense.

He's owed 3/$65, which is just great for bargaining. Tell San Diego to send him and $20 million over, and send them two-three prospects outside the top 10. That's arguably a bargain in a world Kennedy gets a $70 million deal. San Diego probably does it to save $45 million and get some future whatevers. I don't think anyone would be upset if the Marlins signed Shields this offseason for 3/$45.

Just saying. 2011-2014 Shields is the missing piece. Also, if Shields goes off in 2016, he can opt out and go for a larger deal. That slim possibility is also not a negative to get money off the books.

I also like Cashner for the record, but would be hesitant to extend him on the spot which is what someone like that they'd need to do. He'd have to be very cheap.