Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Dee Gordon Suspended for 80 Games

Featured Replies

That's fine and dandy, but you'd have to be a dumbass to take them in this day and age knowing the rules. Dumb or not, the rules are the rules. I actually agree with what you're saying, but it also seems rather irrelevant to the fact that he disregarded policy.

 

There are dumb rules in every workplace. That doesn't mean that employees get to break the dumb rules without suffering the consequences. And in this case, the whole organization goes down with him. The one that gave him millions to perform under the rules put in place. 

 

And I don't disagree really with what you're saying. It's the people acting liking he's some super horrible human being. Disappointing? Sure. But the enmity towards him is staggering and I feel mostly unjustified.

 

 

The absolute key is in the bolded statement. There's so many different substances that players take in order to build muscle and become better, but they have to work around all these "banned" substances, many of which aren't truly harmful to a person's body when a licensed team doctor oversees the process. There's players all across baseball and other sports taking much more dangerous substances without the proper supervision, but because those things don't get tested nobody cares.

 

I think the word 'cheating' is incredibly taboo in society. Doesn't matter if its baseball, school, work, etc... throwing out the word cheating just assumes you jumped ahead and left hard working people behind.

 

It all depends on what you call cheating. I think there's a consensus among the public that steroids are wrong and should be banned in today's society. That could very easily change with progressing cultural ideologies. What Dee did is considered cheating today, but will it be considered cheating in twenty years? Would it have been considered cheating a decade ago when everybody was doing it?

 

I think there is a misconception in society about what steroids really are. Early 2000s played them up to be absolutely horrible to people's bodies as a way to deter the younger generation from using them. But advancing medicine and high tech programs that these athletes are on are proving that no harm is done to any of these players long term, and there's varying results on how successful performance enhancers even are.

 

You're able to put one of the things I'm trying to say a lot more coherently than I am

 

 

I just don't see how much it really mattered. I don't personally see it as cheating. I'd rather see guys use supplements to keep their body healthy than break down trying to play the so called "clean" way. I don't see how what Dee used improved his stats, and even if it did I view it as negligible to the legal stuff that everybody else is using anyway.

 

You don't see this as cheating? Alrighty...

 

 

That was all a bit rambling (and it is late at night), but it's because I can't say if what Dee is should be called cheating. I think some day down the line it won't be, but today it is. He didn't actively sabotage anybody. He wanted to improve his game to help his team. It's weird to villionize people for that, but then we go and idolize people like ,Puig, Chapman, Reyes and Cabrera who are domestic abusers, Josh Hamilton has been deemed a comeback story for his alcoholism and drug problems, and Sabathia is still beloved by Yankees fans even after going to rehab for his own problems.

 

I don't feel right calling Dee a villain when he comes back.

 

:1295_raised_hands_tone1:

 

 

I mean stealing signs is made a joke in the public. Foreign substances are mysteriously put on baseballs all the time. I'm sure there's tons more and many forms of cheating are not even known to the public. Steroids really just become the scapegoat to a much larger problem and continues to be the one thing that continually gets called out.

 

:1295_raised_hands_tone1:

 

 

You don't see this as cheating? Alrighty...

 

Well if you've read what I said, it depends what your idea of cheating is. Under baseball's rule book...yes, it is "cheating". I don't see it as immoral, and I don't see it as wrong. I believe what Dee did, with proper doctor supervision and correct protocol to follow, will eventually be commonplace in baseball. It'll be many mnay years from now, but it'll happen.

 

 

Well now we know why Dee hasn't been performing this year. He's known about this for a while, no? It's not about some stupid fucking chain. 

 

 

Dee is cheating in a game those others (besides Hamilton who has a disease) are committing crimes. Again not seeing the correlation. Not saying I agree with MLB policy, but there is a policy and he broke it which gave him advantage over other players which led to a multi million dollar contract. The domestic stuff is apples and oranges. I personally despise those domestic abusers far far far worse

 

The correlation is "villain" status. (which, I don't agree with any "villain" status and, for as much as I'm deriding what I consider worse behavior, America's viewpoint of evil and justice is sickening to me)

 

And as he said, so much other cheating happens that nobody cares about. Stealing signs? Who cares. Illegal substances? Well our guys do it too, just don't make it obvious. Amphetamines in your coffee? Hey, who doesn't do that. Too much pine tar on your bat? Hey, welcome to the HOF and a clip that's memorable because of the reaction, not because you cheated. But steroids and 3k hits?  Yeah, you're not getting in.

 

Is there different "levels" of cheating, sure. But saying somebody's character is tarnished solely because they cheat means you're berating a LOT of players.

 

 

With Rojas, Johnson, and Dietrich around, we could actually use another outfielder if Mattingly wants to keep the bench deep. 

 

Looking at our 40 man roster and... Every single position player is already on the team. Tomas Telis is the only non-pitcher on the 40 who is not currently on the 25.

 

I would hope Hood or Scruggs, especially with the way Johnson has struggled

 

10 Bucks says it'll be Kelly though, especially since he's a LH bat

 

 

Well now we know why Dee hasn't been performing this year. He's known about this for a while, no? It's not about some stupid fucking chain. 

 

Yeah a looming suspension playing on his mind must have had an impact on his on-field performance during the first few weeks of the season.

 

 

Per the JDA, Gordon will also not be eligible to participate in postseason play this year, should the Marlins make it that far.

 

 

I have just a couple questions, the rest is a blur of shock anger and confusion in my mind...

 

1. I wanna know more about the steroids, are they legitimate needle injected I wanna look like Hulk Hogan and hit balls like Jose Canseco drugs or is this one of those "I had a sore knee and Chris Narveson gave me a cream for it but the cream had a funny substance that I couldn't pronounce on it."?

 

2. Is there any way we can find out when or how long he took this for. Not that its important in the grand scheme but I'm genuinely curious is this how he did what he did in 2015 or did he do 2015 and then cheated out of a fear that he wouldn't be able to keep up his success?

 

Beyond that, I'm very conflicted because yeah I'm pissed but I know Dee is a good person. This doesn't add up to me. Maybe I'm stubborn but there's too many examples of Dee being an absolutely wonderful human being.

 

 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.