Analysis: Marlins Acquire Cashner and Rea

Those defending the trade are mostly making assumptions that Naylor and/or Castillo will be busts in the bigs if they make it.  And that CC won't be able to return to form. All while assuming Rea and Guerrero will end up being great. 

Free to have an opinion but that's an awful lot of stuff that would need to happen.  We made the Padres pay Cashner's deal and if you think that's not a factor, it is

I agree that $ was a factor, but a small one. Not equal to getting Capps. And I disagree by how you think people in support of the deal are evaluating it. If it helps our team win now, Naylor and Castillo can be good players and it won't matter. Like the Urbina deal and countless other trade deadline deals around the league over the years. You don't add pitchers for free. Orioles and Rangers were in on Cashner, just to name a couple clubs. Plus, this is not an Urbina situation because Rea has long term potential and Guerrero is intriguing.

Sent from my iPhone using MarlinsBaseball.com mobile app

The 2003 team was closer to being a WS champion so the Urbina deal made sense. They needed to improve the back of the pen and he was one of the best closers in the game at the time. This trade arguably doesn't improve the 2016 roster that much and I don't think the team is as close to being a WS champion as the 2003 team was. So what we did was we mortgaged the future for no real reason and more than we had to because Loria was being cheap.

Guerrero has shown no reason for people to be optimistic. He throws hard, yay. Rea has potential, fine but he sure as hell wasn't worth all of this.

Again, I didn't like the trade much before the cash part became known but I was probably going to end up accepting it. The fact we made San Diego include cash is ridiculous. It 100% changed the package we were sending back. The Padres count every penny.

The thing that boggles my mind is how multiple people have implied that $$$ coming our way didn't change the Padres haul. Of course it did. Padres are a traditionally frugal team with an inflated payroll this season, that's a well known fact. They aren't handing out $2 million donations.

There's a clip with Brian Kenny on the mlb app in the video section (go to the videos and search for 'Brian Kenny') and he's analyzing the trade and he's pretty adamant that it was a lateral move with only a glimmer of paying off and he brings up how much we gave up and he uses plenty of numbers, watch it, it's refreshing when tv analysts do more than just say I love it or I hate it.

The thing that boggles my mind is how multiple people have implied that $$$ coming our way didn't change the Padres haul. Of course it did. Padres are a traditionally frugal team with an inflated payroll this season, that's a well known fact. They aren't handing out $2 million donations.

maybe Loria is planning to bid on the Gormley painting next year on Auction Night.

but on a more serious note it makes me cringe every time we get cash back in a deal because that is HURTING the team.  Loria has more than enough $$ to put into the team.  We need better players, not more money for paintings. Tired of seeing that shit because it's crippling us.  For all we know that money was why Capps had to be included.  The more and more I sit here and look at that trade the angrier I get because it's pretty much a lateral move or this year and hurts us for future years.  It's like Mike Hill reads headlines only and does no research on the actual people he acquires. 

Chocolate Chunk needs to go.

The cash part is on Loria not Hill. And do you forget how close we were at times to NOT winning the WS in 2003? It's all about trying when you have the window of opportunity. We just added 2/5 of our rotation - that's more than a closer. And we added a couple long term pieces this time.

Sent from my iPhone using MarlinsBaseball.com mobile app

Except Cashner sucks.

Rea is worse.

If that is 2/5 of your rotation, you arent going very far, tbh.