What would you consider to be a great season this year?

fish20

We're obviously not going to contend barring something completely shocking and I think almost everyone can agree with that.  So with that said, what needs to happen this year for you to consider this a great year?

Ill list mine from most important to less important- Being smart with the service time cut offs of our prospects, prospects staying healthy so we can properly evaluate the guys we've gotten, prospects playing well, and then our veterans playing well enough for us to add more prospects for guys like Straily, Bour, Prado, Castro, Dietrich, etc.

In no particular order

Signing Julio Pablo Martinez (which the dedicated thread seems to suggest is impossible given the size of our pool)

Getting a good full season in the minors from Tyler Kolek.  First full year after TJ, hopefully he can display some of what made him 2nd pick overall in 2014

Same for Trevor Rogers (sans all the injury stuff).  Would really like to see these two pitchers flourish.

Alcantara develop a good third pitch making him a legit rotation option instead of a hard throwing bullpen pitcher

Monte Harrison destroying baseballs at whatever level he ends up playing this year.

Getting big first halves from Straily, Bour, and Prado and possibly moving them to a desperate contender for some value.

Everyone stays healthy

Nothing happens to significantly change any expectations for the prospects we’re counting on.

You seem to have an international bonus pool fetish.

Well, pull out a map and locate Cuba and the Dominican Republic and Miami. Then explain to me why the Marlins shouldn't be the most aggressive team in the international free agent Market. The climate and the Latin community should be much more of an advantage than what we are seeing now. Of course , the teardown has its advantages as well in terms of not blocking prospects from reaching the major league quickly. Those poor guys that are signing with the Yankees are in for a rude awakening unless they get traded...

A lot of the reports suggest that Julio Pablo Martinez will wait to sign after the pool opens up. We need to sign him. Other than that there are a lot of things I'm excited about this year.

Turner turning into a usable major league baseball player. Gallen and/or Peters and/or  Elieser Hernandez showing that they are legit major league talents, and you can be successful without generic stuff.

I would like to see Yamamoto destroy double-A and be in triple-A come end of the year.  Same goes for Ben Meyer.

I want to see Trevor Richards have his major league debut, and be successful in his cup of coffee.

I want to see Guzman continue the success he had last year and end this year with a start in the show.

Bryan Anderson and Lewis Brinson solidify themselves as legit major league starters.

Sierra develops enough power in one more year in triple A to justify the idea that he becomes a major league starter

Braxton Lee gets on base over .375 in the show.

Isan Diaz and Monte Harrison and Joe Dunand light the world on fire in there respective leagues. 

Braxton Gerrat comes back healthy, and goes back to where he left off.

Justin Bour, Cameron Maybin, Martin Prado, and Derek Dietrich all have career first halfs. (and half them get traded)

Realmuto gets traded for a few Inf prospects and a young A+ level catcher.

If half these things happen we will be set to be pretty good in 2019, and competitive in 2020.

Not worried about the wins. Would like to see Chen return to form so he can either contribute long-term or get traded away. Similarly hopeful players like Prado, Straily, Ziegler, Tazawa and Maybin have a solid first half and can get flipped for players. Even if 3 of those 5 get flipped, I would consider that great. Would actually prefer to hold on to Bour and JT unless we get blown away and have to take the deal.

Would also like to see Conley and Rojas improve and grow and see some solid performances in our young OF in the 2nd half. Solid draft where we don't worry about signing bonuses and larger pool for intl free agents and signing someone like Pablo Martinez or of his caliber in July when the next period would also be great.

Guest CHRISTYTOD

Not canceling my MLB TV (monthly plan) because I get too frustrated. I just want to see solid effort by all and players gelling and having fun playing the game. And of course, lots of unexpected wins! 

To be honest I can (and probably will) enjoy this upcoming season by never worrying about our win loss record and watching each game like a fresh start every day, and just looking for positives each day. If we win? Awesome. If we lose? Don't worry about our place in the standings, just hope we played hard, and get em tomorrow. 

To be honest I can (and probably will) enjoy this upcoming season by never worrying about our win loss record and watching each game like a fresh start every day, and just looking for positives each day. If we win? Awesome. If we lose? Don't worry about our place in the standings, just hope we played hard, and get em tomorrow. 

Gonna feel like 2006, hopefully.

I’d add to what you’ve said that having such an infusion of new front office brains is good and exciting