Jorge Guzman

SonOfJack

Having a bad day?.....lmao j/k man

Decisions like keeping guzman and Alcantara down make me think the team is tanking on purpose. but then other times they make me think they try to win but just suck. Super annoying season!

Guzman is in A+ ball and has never pitched in a full season league.  Also, i keep hearing this clamoring for Alcantara to be brought up and I think people weirdly are having expectations for him that are way too high.  I think he has a chance to be a good #2 but I hope people havent been misconstrued to value him as a top prospect along the lines of Kopech or Buehler or someone like that.  It is reasonable that we arent rushing guys up in a lost season.  Alcantara has made huge strides since the beginning of the year but let him keep going deep into games and hopefully try to improve his K rate some more and then bring him up when we deal guys away towards the deadline.

Our rotation isnt setting the world on fire but we also weirdly have a lot of options to where we dont have to rush these guys for no reason to the majors.  Im a fan of aggressively promoting guys once they master the level they are at, but with promotions to the majors on a team that is rebuilding it makes no sense to promote guys to the big leagues unless they are 100% ready and will stay up indefinitely.  Different story for a contender, but for our team we are doing the right thing while developing these pitchers.

The thing with Guzman seems similar to the questions for Alcantara somewhat coming into the year, that being that he has suspect control and his ability to consistently go deep into games is a question mark.  Alcantara has answered a lot of the questions thus far as he's walking a lot fewer guys and he has been going deep into games, but Guzman has been a little concerning with the walks.  It is super early though. He'll be 22 all year and has never pitched in a full season league and has never thrown more than 66 innings in a season.  A successful season for him is staying healthy the rest of the way and improving the walk rate.

I think we made out as well as we could have with the Stanton trade in that he had a NTC, a list of 4 teams he wanted to go to and only 1-2 who really wanted him, plus obviously his contract.  Sucks to give him up but we cant survive a contract like that if he becomes like most of those contracts become towards the end, plus Devers and Guzman have both been kind of encouraging

We've accumulated all of these arms since the middle of last year when we traded away Ramos and Phelps.  They are all pitching well or extremely well and are either young or the right age for their league.  Pablo Lopez has been very dominant in AA and was just promoted to AAA.  Nick Neidert is also having an impressive season and he is the youngest of the bunch.  

Sandy Alcantara        AAA      22 yrs old     (Ozuna Trade)

Zac Gallen                  AAA      22 yrs old      (Ozuna Trade)

Pablo Lopez               AAA      22 yrs old      (Phelps Trade)

Robert Dugger            AA        22 yrs old      (Gordon Trade)

Merandy Gonzalez     AA        22 yrs old      (Ramos Trade)

Nick Neidert                AA        21 yrs old      (Gordon Trade)

Jorge Guzman             A+       22 yrs old       (Stanton Trade)

Jordan Yamamoto      A+       22 yrs old       (Yelich Trade)

Then we have our own draft picks or international signings starting to develop as well.

Braxton Garrett           A-         20 yrs old  (T J Rehab)   1st round pick 2016

Trevor Rogers             A-         20 yrs old   1st round pick 2017

Edward Cabrera          A-         18 yrs old   INT FA

Brady Puckett             A+         22 yrs old  2017 Draft Pick

Tyler Kolek                  A-          22 yrs old  ( I know, I know) 1st round pick 2015

Ryan Lillie                   A-           22 yrs old   ( Just turned 22 in May.  Probably be in A+ soon)

Trevor Richards        AAA        25 yrs old   Indy League

Jarlin Garcia             AAA        25 yrs old     INT FA

Dillon Peters             AAA        25 yrs old     2014 Draft Pick

Needless to say that there is plenty of depth right now up and down the system.  Not sure if there is a true #1 in that bunch but there are plenty of good young arms.

Acquired in Stanton deal.

Consider this your first warning out of at least eighty six or so, I won't be keeping count.

No positive posting.

Also, it doesn't matter, cause he was acquired when we got rid of Stanton for nothing. Therefore Guzman is nothing. If he's so good then why couldn't we have kept Stanton and acquired Guzman with all that extra money we have?!?!?!?!

We've accumulated all of these arms since the middle of last year when we traded away Ramos and Phelps.  They are all pitching well or extremely well and are either young or the right age for their league.  Pablo Lopez has been very dominant in AA and was just promoted to AAA.  Nick Neidert is also having an impressive season and he is the youngest of the bunch.  

Then we have our own draft picks or international signings starting to develop as well.

Braxton Garrett           A-         20 yrs old  (T J Rehab)   1st round pick 2016

Tyler Kolek                  A-          22 yrs old  ( I know, I know) 1st round pick 2015

Ryan Lillie                   A-           22 yrs old   ( Just turned 22 in May.  Probably be in A+ soon)

Needless to say that there is plenty of depth right now up and down the system.  Not sure if there is a true #1 in that bunch but there are plenty of good young arms.

Outside of Kolek and perhaps a couple others, definitely a lot of hope in there. If half from each of those lists pans out, that'd be fantastic.

But #FuckJeter right? 

But #FuckJeter right? 

Clearly we were better off keeping that great team from last year together (that had a losing record) than doing what was done. We would be better off having a 70-75 win season this year with no hope for the future than what we did. #FuckJeter

But #FuckJeter right? 

Absolutely #FuckJeter 

Doesn't mean I can't be positive about the team or the teams future.  Also, @Erick is right, this started last season before Jeter.  And, as of right now, Pablo Lopez and Nick Neidert are having the best seasons.  We got them for Dee Gordon and David Phelps.  I was mainly against moving moving Stanton and Yelich. 

Either way, like I've said before, #GoMarlins #FuckJeter. Now lets move Castro, Straily, and Bearclaw and get some more young talent in here.

Clearly we were better off keeping that great team from last year together (that had a losing record) than doing what was done. We would be better off having a 70-75 win season this year with no hope for the future than what we did. #FuckJeter

Yes, I would still have preferred to keep that outfield from last year together.  More than one way to build a team.  

#nofiresales #notanking

I think we have enough hope for our pitchers, my big concern is the other side of the game. Hitting. We still need to score runs. Schales is the only guy who is young and really crushing the ball. Dean is still a borderline prospect. Everyone else is just kind of okay. Maybe the John Silviano?

To be fair, Jeter had nothing to do with the Ramos/Phelps trades.

#ThankYouMikeHill

All joking aside the team was up for sale by the time those two were traded.  With all the heresay about ownership meddling in deals I wonder if those trades were more of a reflection of Hill than the ones before Loria decided to sell.  

All joking aside the team was up for sale by the time those two were traded.  With all the heresay about ownership meddling in deals I wonder if those trades were more of a reflection of Hill than the ones before Loria decided to sell.  

With all we know about HIll we can only be so mad at the guy. He did suggest blowing up the team after the death of Fernandez. He did not like the idea of signing inferior closers once we didn't get the guys we wanted. He was held on given a somewhat overseer role after they brought in Denbo. For me I am not a Hill fan, but I am not sure he is bad at his job.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.