How do you feel about all this?

Italian Marlins Fan

So there have been a lot of changes implemented by the Marlins since the new ownership group has taken over. To me, it seems like Derek Jeter is trying to become one of the most progressive owners in MLB. Here are the cliff notes of some of the stuff he has done: 

1. Decrease in 2019 STH Prices

2. English Players in the minor leagues are required to learn Spanish, as well as Spanish player taking classes on wlgish, cooking, and financial planning. 

3. Continuation of Heritage Nights at the ballpark, as well as Pride Night.

4. Creation of New Section called Comunidad “305”. All fans will be encouraged to bring noisemakers, such as whistles, vuvuzelas, and drums. Food outside the section will also reflect diverse culture of section. 

5. Derek Jeter stated last offseason that he would be alright if his players knelt for the National Anthem, as long as it was a “peaceful protest”. 

6. More focus on signing International players and making the Marlins an International destination for players coming from Latin American Countries (DR, Venenzuela, Cuba, etc.) Marlins also want to bring in more international fans. 

(Totally unrelated, but Derek Jeter is the first black CEO in the history of MLB. Just saying.)

7. Dimelo, Miami. Where fans can offer their views on Marlins things. Next year, there will be concessionaires doing similar stuff to Dimelo, Miami. I believe that’s correct, if not, let me know. 

8. In addition to building a better relationship with fans, Jeter wants to bring stars to Marlins Park, such as Shaq and DJ Khaled, as well as repair the relations Loria destroyed with local politicians. 

9. New TV Deal will be in play soon and rebranding is also a huge possibility, if not a certainty. 

10. More expansive food options at Marlins Park in 2019. 

I don’t believe I missed anything here. So, how do you feel about all these things? Do you like all these things? What things do you not like? Oh, and I would also add keep the roof closed as much as possible, please ? Comments? Concerns? 

I don’t like the fact that the team still looks as bad as it’s ever looked. 

As for the “Comunidad 305” thing, I was hoping it wouldn’t get any louder. Have you heard the music in the stadium this year?

I think it’s fine. I don’t notice it. I would like the stadium to be like the World Baseball Classic. That was so much fun. 

I don’t like the fact that the team still looks as bad as it’s ever looked. 

As for the “Comunidad 305” thing, I was hoping it wouldn’t get any louder. Have you heard the music in the stadium this year?

I’m torn on this one.......

I like the Comunidad 305 idea A LOT.  One of the great things about MLS are the drums and flags etc. 

But they really need to cap the volume on that DJ they have put in left field. Otherwise it will be just be unbearable.  

Making players learn Spanish is stupid

How so? I think it's an excellent idea.

You're asking Spanish players to learn English already so all they're doing is teaching the English speaking players some Spanish so that there's an effort from both sides to bridge the language gaps. That's a great idea. It also shows the Spanish players that the effort is coming from all sides and it's not just on them to learn a new language. 

Also this is only being done in the minor league levels and it's short classes. Its not like the major league players are taking college level Spanish classes between games. They're basically just learning enough to greet and welcome and interact with the Spanish players. 

So how is this idea stupid? 

Making players learn Spanish is stupid

The team being based in Miami makes this automatically NOT stupid. As @SilverBullet said, it's a way to bridge the gap and make it an easier transition for the primarily Spanish speaking players. On top of that, get the guys coming up learning Spanish, they can now communicate with a wider amount of the fanbase [especially once it's a little more established].

A lot of little things here, and everything that OP listed that Jeter has done, in my opinion, are massive steps in the right direction.

The team being based in Miami makes this automatically NOT stupid. As @SilverBullet said, it's a way to bridge the gap and make it an easier transition for the primarily Spanish speaking players. On top of that, get the guys coming up learning Spanish, they can now communicate with a wider amount of the fanbase [especially once it's a little more established].

A lot of little things here, and everything that OP listed that Jeter has done, in my opinion, are massive steps in the right direction.

I think speaking in the same language (English or Spanish) would make better the cohesion in the team.

It is more than simple-encourage learning Spanish, but it should not be a requirement.  It helps in S Florida but again, we are selling baseball and the universal language is winning.  Our spanish only speaking fans do not need to communicate directly with every single player in Spanish in order to enjoy them and root for them.  If Chen was 20-1, do we really need him to speak Spanish, or English, for that matter.  Do we require that he learn both languages-find the time to be proficient in multiple languages-is that necessary?  If Stanton stayed and we were a pennant contender and he hit 65 homers, would he really need to speak spanish to be a home town superstar or get along with certain players who do not speak English?  C'mon, you can play the "you live here so you need to speak Spanish" but you would be offended if anyone says to the general populace, as many have said,"if you live in America, and Miami is still America, shouldn't "you" learn English".  Works both ways and for baseball, it is silly to require it.  As for the clubhouse, many teams have players who are not good at English or even speak it and yet, they can communicate and get along.  Why is our clubhouse any different?  Again, it is not.

As an aside, what would a free agent consider if it is a choice of being "forced" to learn a language.  This is baseball, not international studies and all players speaking Spanish will not gather you any increase in attendance, no matter how "automatic" you think this idea is.  

You guys are overthinking this. Nobody is forcing incoming free agents or current major leaguers to do anything. No one is gonna change anything that the major leaguers are doing in terms of learning languages.

The majority, if not ALL, of the 30 MLB teams already have educational classes for the players in their minor league systems, especially for those based in other countries. 

Instead of only having the Spanish speaking players attend language courses the Marlins are having the English speaking players attend language courses as well. If this program is maintained consistently throughout the minor leagues over the years then in time the major league team will be full of players that learned through this system and it can be a positive influence on our future teams.

That's it, nothing more, nothing less.

How so? I think it's an excellent idea.

You're asking Spanish players to learn English already so all they're doing is teaching the English speaking players some Spanish so that there's an effort from both sides to bridge the language gaps. That's a great idea. It also shows the Spanish players that the effort is coming from all sides and it's not just on them to learn a new language. 

Also this is only being done in the minor league levels and it's short classes. Its not like the major league players are taking college level Spanish classes between games. They're basically just learning enough to greet and welcome and interact with the Spanish players. 

So how is this idea stupid? 

It's a waste of time and effort. You teach the Spanish speaking players English because they're playing in a predominantly English speaking country, where they'll have to give interviews, do PR, go to the supermarket, and live in general. 

You're teaching the English speakers Spanish because... You want to make the Spanish speakers feel loved?

Also, on the level of effort placed on these classes... If you are going to half ass it then even more of a reason to not do it. Making a player take time away from training, family, recovery, etc. even if just half an hour to learn how to say 'yo quiero Taco Bell' is an even bigger waste of effort.

This is a stupid idea. They'd be better off spending the time by doing mini Captain's Camp sessions or something even somewhat related to winning.

Derek Jeter stated: “Everybody expects the Latin players to make an effort to speak English. Well, especially here in Miami, if you don’t speak Spanish, you don’t fit in. I think it’s important.” This kind of commitment to the community shows how this new ownership actively cares about making their players and coaches better people.

So Jeter speaks Spanish good ?