Marlins sign Matt Kemp

rmc523

Someone will probably give me shit for this one but I'll bring up one more point that so many seem to forget...

Sometimes it's these types of low key depth signings that actually complete the puzzle of a championship team. For all the hyped up big free agents signings how many times have we seen an under the radar veteran be the postseason hero or be the guy who holds down a position when the superstar player is out with an injury?

Howie Kendrick with the Nationals this year is a good example of this.

Now I'm not saying this what Kemp will do here I'm just saying these moves are more important than anyone gives them credit for and they have their place in building a winner.

• Like 1

Someone will probably give me shit for this one but I'll bring up one more point that so many seem to forget...

Sometimes it's these types of low key depth signings that actually complete the puzzle of a championship team. For all the hyped up big free agents signings how many times have we seen an under the radar veteran be the postseason hero or be the guy who holds down a position when the superstar player is out with an injury?

Now I'm not saying this what Kemp will do here I'm just saying these moves are more important than anyone gives them credit for and they have their place in building a winner.

howie Kendrick was never considered ‘done’ as a major league player though. And has never had a season as bad as kemp. Let alone multiple bad seasons.

howie Kendrick was never considered ‘done’ as a major league player though. And has never had a season as bad as kemp. Let alone multiple bad seasons.

The point is that the depth signings are often crucial to championship teams even though the spotlight goes to the superstar signings.

Howie Kendrick dealt with injuries and wasn't sure he'd be a consistent MLB player anymore due to health yet the Nationals don't win the 2019 World Series without him.

I know for me, I'm totally cool with signing him as a depth move, and if he plays well enough, a reserve/spot starter. Basically for what you're mentioning.

But if this ends up being the only move they make, then I view it more negatively. Not because it's a bad move on its own, but because they're putting a puzzle together and then just decide not to put in that key piece right in the middle of the puzzle because they don't feel like moving their arm to put it there.

• Like 1

Another point to consider. You can’t make people want to sign with the marlins. They’ve got some proving to do to make themselves desirable and credible to free agents. Yes I know money talks and the easy comeback is that players always take more money. While they may be true in many instances, sometimes they do take less if they really want a certain team (MadBum). The desirable names with multiple teams asking are probably going to be out of reach. It doesn’t have to always be that way but it might have to be in the near term.

• Like 1

Another point to consider. You can’t make people want to sign with the marlins. They’ve got some proving to do to make themselves desirable and credible to free agents. Yes I know money talks and the easy comeback is that players always take more money. While they may be true in many instances, sometimes they do take less if they really want a certain team (MadBum). The desirable names with multiple teams asking are probably going to be out of reach. It doesn’t have to always be that way but it might have to be in the near term.

not lowballing with offers would be a start.

I pointed this out before too - the Marlins have zero selling points at this juncture as a team outside of "hey, no state income tax!" for FA's. They HAVE to overpay to bring in notable guys right now. I'm not saying to cripple the franchise but yeah, you're going to have to overpay. Obviously not EVERY player will take the most money but I think it would be very fair to say 95% will go where the longest and most lucrative contract is since this is their job. And of that small percentage the bulk of those players are older vets wanting to compete for a ring that may take a bit less to play near home, etc. but the Marlins don't really have any business signing those type of guys to significant deals at this juncture in the rebuild anyway.

Very few players of the ilk that the Marlins should be acquiring are going to turn down the largest offer if they are far from their final playing days. So far it just reeks of cheapness at this point. I'm still going to say that the Kemp signing isn't their "mystery bat" though. If it's just a spring invite then so be it - won't hurt to kick the tires on that. Look at that, me being positive and it's not even 2020 yet.

not lowballing with offers would be a start.

I pointed this out before too - the Marlins have zero selling points at this juncture as a team outside of "hey, no state income tax!" for FA's. They HAVE to overpay to bring in notable guys right now. I'm not saying to cripple the franchise but yeah, you're going to have to overpay. Obviously not EVERY player will take the most money but I think it would be very fair to say 95% will go where the longest and most lucrative contract is since this is their job. And of that small percentage the bulk of those players are older vets wanting to compete for a ring that may take a bit less to play near home, etc. but the Marlins don't really have any business signing those type of guys to significant deals at this juncture in the rebuild anyway.

Very few players of the ilk that the Marlins should be acquiring are going to turn down the largest offer if they are far from their final playing days. So far it just reeks of cheapness at this point. I'm still going to say that the Kemp signing isn't their "mystery bat" though. If it's just a spring invite then so be it - won't hurt to kick the tires on that. Look at that, me being positive and it's not even 2020 yet.

That's the perfect response to THRILLHO's post - you can't lowball everybody and expect them to sign either. And yes, if you get equal deals from a contender and the Marlins, you'll go with the contender. But paying more give us a chance at least. Starting with pennies and hoping someone bites isn't a good tactic. Not saying you offer a Stanton contract to someone to convince them, but you have to realize Miami isn't an attractive destination right now for the reasons hovertical pointed out - we're just not quite there yet - it's (hopefully) on the horizon, but not yet.

The point is that the depth signings are often crucial to championship teams even though the spotlight goes to the superstar signings.

Howie Kendrick dealt with injuries and wasn't sure he'd be a consistent MLB player anymore due to health yet the Nationals don't win the 2019 World Series without him.

Because he tore his Achilles? See any number of players that have had and resumed playing.

kemp has had numerous bouts of just flat out awful play.

Because he tore his Achilles? See any number of players that have had and resumed playing.

kemp has had numerous bouts of just flat out awful play.

This is a quote from an MLB.com article immediately after the World Series...

"It was a long journey for Kendrick to get to this point. After missing 122 games last season with a ruptured right Achilles tendon, there was doubt that Kendrick would even return to a Major League field. And if he did return, just how productive could the 36-year-old be?"

That sums up exactly what I meant in my post.

Why you feel the need to have every little detail be 100% when I'm only giving Kendrick's name as a general example for people to understand is beyond me. I think everyone else but you got what I was trying to say.

If you've ever wondered why everyone considers you a dick, this is why.

This is a quote from an MLB.com article immediately after the World Series...

"It was a long journey for Kendrick to get to this point. After missing 122 games last season with a ruptured right Achilles tendon, there was doubt that Kendrick would even return to a Major League field. And if he did return, just how productive could the 36-year-old be?"

That sums up exactly what I meant in my post.

Why you feel the need to have every little detail be 100% when I'm only giving Kendrick's name as a general example for people to understand is beyond me. I think everyone else but you got what I was trying to say.

If you've ever wondered why everyone considers you a dick, this is why.

He also was NOT a free agent after he tore his Achilles.