Post Wild Card Series Thread- Marlins Move On!

A team that wins the World Series buys rings for every player who was with the team that season. With the Marlins having so many roster moves they would have to buy more rings than probably any past championship team.

Wouldn't that be ironic for #CheapJeter? 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

A team that wins the World Series buys rings for every player who was with the team that season. With the Marlins having so many roster moves they would have to buy more rings than probably any past championship team.

Wouldn't that be ironic for #CheapJeter? 

First ever World Series ring with cubic zirconias. 

• Haha 3
28 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

The smart articles are finally starting to come out...

https://www.mlb.com/news/derek-jeter-marlins-vision-quickly-taking-shape

Maybe this isn't a fluke, maybe Jeter knew what he was doing all along? Imagine that! 

You're telling me a first-ballot Hall of Fame shortstop who was a lifetime member of the most dominant franchise in baseball history knows more about baseball than an art dealer and his son-in-law? I find that hard to believe.

• Like 2

They have very little here. 

They have black “Respect Miami” shirts and one style of post-season hat (black)

Also had to walk around a bit to make our way to the store because of C-19 testing 

17 hours ago, SirFishFan said:

If any of the games are on MLB Network, they could use those same announcers from that YouTube game a few weeks back. Probably John Smoltz since it’s the Braves.

Let's hope not.

16 hours ago, Michael said:

They really shouldn't use anyone with any history with either team.

100% agree.  Should be neutral people, or one from each team.

13 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

Gotta admit taking 3 from the Braves is a challenge. Hopefully some breaks go our way but I have to think I won't be too shocked if we can't get it done. With that said this team has been all about defying the odds all season so let's keep doing just that. 

Hopefully they've replaced the apparently blind replay officials in NY.

17 minutes ago, DTrain said:

They have very little here. 

They have black “Respect Miami” shirts and one style of post-season hat (black)

Also had to walk around a bit to make our way to the store because of C-19 testing 

Kinda figured since fanatics doesn’t even have that much stuff. 

3 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

Ultimately I think the longterm goal now is, or should be, to prove that this season isn't a fluke by remaining competitive from now on. We may not be "this good" in 2021 but as long as we're winning and contending more often than not for like the next decade or so then they've done well. 

I guess in simple terms I'm saying they just need to make sure it isn't another 17 years before our 4th postseason run. If it is then we'll be ridiculed with "Marlins only made the playoffs with expanded playoffs in a shortened season during a pandemic" and rightfully so.

With that said I think they're actually in a better position to compete going forward than either the 97 or 03 teams. It's been cool to call us a fluke but this team is clearly on the rise with a strong potential to get even better and with a more sustainable foundation underneath it.

If we're a fluke in 2020 it's not because we suck it's because we're ahead of schedule. It's not that we shouldn't be here, it's that we got here earlier than people expected. 

Anyone who calls this team a fluke is just going by historical narratives and clearly hasn't watched them all year. A team with a dynamite pitching staff like this winning games should not surprise anyone who actually has a clue about baseball.

We obviously still need some more offense, but typically, championship foundations are built with pitching. We definitely have that.

Are we in better shape to contend going forward than the 2003 squad? It remains to be seen. I think it tends to be forgotten that the 2003 Marlins were actually pretty stacked. However, it didn't take long for Loria to break up that team, so assuming you are more bullish on the 2020 Marlins going forward than the 2003 team because of Jeter at the helm, then I definitely agree.

I also want to add one more thing in here: the work Mike Hill has done this season (and over the past couple of years) has actually been terrific. While Jeter deserves the lion's share of the credit for turning this ship around, Hill's contributions should not go unnoticed. Perhaps Loria was just holding him back the whole time and Hill had a clue after all?

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, hovertical said:

image.thumb.png.e784410130a33732099182ffe09bd3cf.png

The funniest thing about this is Phillies analysts and fans acting like their team is the Yankees. The Phillies have not made the playoffs since 2011, went 13 seasons without a playoff appearance between 1994 and 2006 and have a grand total of two World Series championships, with the first one coming all the way back in 1980. Lol. The Marlins have as many championships in 28 seasons as the Phillies have in 138 seasons. Think about that for a minute.

In the grand scheme of things, the Phillies are an absolute joke of a franchise.

• Like 4
20 minutes ago, Valid said:

Anyone who calls this team a fluke is just going by historical narratives and clearly hasn't watched them all year. A team with a dynamite pitching staff like this winning games should not surprise anyone who actually has a clue about baseball

Yes this has been my biggest complaint. If you actually watch this team you see it's not a fluke. There were other more flukey teams in the playoffs than the Marlins who were pretty consistent all season long.

• Like 2
19 minutes ago, Valid said:

The funniest thing about this is Phillies analysts and fans acting like their team is the Yankees. The Phillies have not made the playoffs since 2011, went 13 seasons without a playoff appearance between 1994 and 2006 and have a grand total of two World Series championships, with the first one coming all the way back in 1980. Lol. The Marlins have as many championships in 28 seasons as the Phillies have in 138 seasons. Think about that for a minute.

In the grand scheme of things, the Phillies are an absolute joke of a franchise.

This lol.

• Like 2
20 minutes ago, Valid said:

I wonder if they need a culture change/new mentality type of shakeup there. They are total losers who think they are winners without actually winning... it makes no sense. Maybe they're not working hard enough because they assume they'll win easily? That doesn't even seem logical but that's what it feels like. And then they lose and are all like what how did we lose and then they can't get out of the rut. 

A "lesser" team that works their ass off to be better will succeed more than a "better" team that half asses everything. 

• Like 2
4 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

I keep thinking what an even better story it would be if we can knock off the Braves considering the 29-9 game, it's setup very nicely to prove to everyone how stupid ripping on that one game is. 

There's a potentially beautiful Marlins story in every round. Imagine Donnie finally reaching the World Series by eliminating the Dodgers? Imagine the predicted worst team in the NL eliminating what is clearly the best team in the NL? 

This possibility got washed away but could you have imagined how fitting, and how funny, if not cringeworthy, if the 2020 NLCS had been Marlins vs Cardinals???

World Series? A potential "Citrus World Series" has been almost jokingly wished for here for years but right now it's as much of a possibility as ever. And if we could somehow beat the Rays, its again another redemption story considering how they've owned us lately. Also the Jeter Tampa connection. The Yankee connections are plentiful but obvious too. 

There's just so much to digest here I love it. 

If it is the Astros, the whole of the baseball world will love us if we win.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Rabbethan said:

Interesting about the 29-9 game; only Pablo is left on the roster of the pitchers who gave up runs.

Worth noting that his two bad starts against the Rays and that game vs the Braves were with Alfaro. Pablo was back to his dominant early season form in the last 3 starts- all caught by Wallach.

• Like 2
34 minutes ago, Valid said:

Are we in better shape to contend going forward than the 2003 squad? It remains to be seen. I think it tends to be forgotten that the 2003 Marlins were actually pretty stacked. However, it didn't take long for Loria to break up that team, so assuming you are more bullish on the 2020 Marlins going forward than the 2003 team because of Jeter at the helm, then I definitely agree.

Talent for talent the 03 team was better but there are other factors for sustainability and I'd say most if not all point to the current group being more sustainable. 

Loria not having a ballpark deal back then meant he was destined to dismantle that team one way or another over time. Jeter doesn't have this problem and has tremendous financial flexibility. 

The farm systems are hugely different too. The best of the farm was already up in 2003, but who was gonna step in two or three years later when the 03 guys started filtering out? Chad James, Taylor Tankersley, and Jeremy Hermida weren't keeping the Marlins in contention. The better draft picks didn't come until the end of the decade or later such as Stanton Jose and Yelich. With the 2020 team there's a whole crop of future pieces still to come and it seems like they're still drafting right to continue that trend even further down the line.

Plus it's pretty certain that this 2020 team is overachieving in the sense that the majority of the young guys should actually be getting better in the future. A lot of the 2003 team (though not all of them) was already at their peak and not necessarily improving. 

Also even with trying to contend again in 2004 Pudge, Derek Lee, and Carl Pavano were already gone so the 04 team was already being downgraded. No one on the 2020 Marlins is necessarily leaving unless it's to upgrade us. 

There was very much a one time lightning in a bottle magical feeling in 2003. I think there are plenty of signs that the 2020 group is only just beginning. 

• Like 2
22 minutes ago, FishFan95 said:

If it is the Astros, the whole of the baseball world will love us if we win.

17 minutes ago, GuitarPik said:

I low key want this to happen. 

I "high key" want this to happen. The Astros are the one team that we could face that would actually make us the popular pick everywhere except in Houston. Damn maybe even in Houston if there are any Astros fans disgusted with their cheating who wouldn't mind them being taught a lesson.