Post Wild Card Series Thread- Marlins Move On!

The 2003 squad won games with pitching and timely hitting. Guess what this team is doing? The very same thing. I won't get too far ahead of myself, because the 2003 Marlins had considerably more offensive talent than this bunch, but the feel is eerily similar.

• Like 2

Im really trying to remain humble. While I appreciate and understand the uniqueness of the season and the accomplishment of this year, it’s not going to matter if we cant compete next year. We atleast need to be close to a playoff appearance next season or else we will never hear the end of it if we get too cocky. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AeroFishOne said:

Im really trying to remain humble. While I appreciate and understand the uniqueness of the season and the accomplishment of this year, it’s not going to matter if we cant compete next year. We atleast need to be close to a playoff appearance next season or else we will never hear the end of it if we get too cocky. 

With you entirely. I've been of the mindset this whole time, keep it humble and enjoy the ride. Always thought that way.

Marlins and Dolphins fan, got so used to losing that it just became a numbed experience. Start attending UCF and the football team goes 0-12 and I'm like, "aight, here we go again. Cool." Lol. Then 2017 happened 😁 and now the Marlins and Dolphins are on upward trajectories.

Still, keeping it humble. Losing sucks. But you keep your words nice and sweet, you get to eat em if you're wrong and it's not so bad. People respect ya for it even.

But coming back from that tangent.

I believe this team, in a different form (with the prospect BATS) competes still next year. With a minor league season, guys like Monte, Lewin, Jesus Sanchez, and we'll probably see JJ Bleday too next year, they'll have time to crush it for a bit and come up during the season and do what we hoped.

And then we add on longer seasons of Sixto, Cabrera, Sandy, Pablo, hell maybe even Rogers, Meyer, Garrett ... admittedly the younger / less experienced arms worry me because they might get overstressed and be on innings limits, but just that list there alone we've got seven guys who can start. We can skip Sixto, Cabrera, Meyer a couple times next year and slot in Rogers, Garrett, Castano, and be just fine. Castano has been a great surprise this year.

... man this team's gonna be fun for a while.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, DTrain said:

5 days ago the Marlins were +4200 (risk $100 to win $4,200) to Win the World Series. 

This morning they are +1900 (risk $100 to win $1,900). 

I don't play Risk, how many Clue and Monopoly is that?

Edited by gizmo
  • Like 1

Ultimately I think the longterm goal now is, or should be, to prove that this season isn't a fluke by remaining competitive from now on. We may not be "this good" in 2021 but as long as we're winning and contending more often than not for like the next decade or so then they've done well. 

I guess in simple terms I'm saying they just need to make sure it isn't another 17 years before our 4th postseason run. If it is then we'll be ridiculed with "Marlins only made the playoffs with expanded playoffs in a shortened season during a pandemic" and rightfully so.

With that said I think they're actually in a better position to compete going forward than either the 97 or 03 teams. It's been cool to call us a fluke but this team is clearly on the rise with a strong potential to get even better and with a more sustainable foundation underneath it.

If we're a fluke in 2020 it's not because we suck it's because we're ahead of schedule. It's not that we shouldn't be here, it's that we got here earlier than people expected. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, SonOfJack said:

This series against Atlanta won't be easy, but I believe in our boys.

I keep thinking what an even better story it would be if we can knock off the Braves considering the 29-9 game, it's setup very nicely to prove to everyone how stupid ripping on that one game is. 

There's a potentially beautiful Marlins story in every round. Imagine Donnie finally reaching the World Series by eliminating the Dodgers? Imagine the predicted worst team in the NL eliminating what is clearly the best team in the NL? 

This possibility got washed away but could you have imagined how fitting, and how funny, if not cringeworthy, if the 2020 NLCS had been Marlins vs Cardinals???

World Series? A potential "Citrus World Series" has been almost jokingly wished for here for years but right now it's as much of a possibility as ever. And if we could somehow beat the Rays, its again another redemption story considering how they've owned us lately. Also the Jeter Tampa connection. The Yankee connections are plentiful but obvious too. 

There's just so much to digest here I love it. 

• Like 1