Best and Worst Trades in Franchise History

Admin

31 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

The Cabrera one has to be in the running for worst, no?

Absolutely. That’s the first one that will always come to mind when you mention worst trade in Marlins history.

Miguel Cabrera and Dontrelle Willis for Camron Maybin, Andrew Miller, Mike Rabelo?, Eulogio de la Cruz?, Dallas Trahern?, and Burke Badenhop.

I can understand Willis, even though he was a big fan favorite, he had struggled the previous two seasons since coming off his 22 win season in ‘05.

But with trading Cabrera and Willis, I was really expecting at least Curtis Granderson (Who batted .302 with 23 HR and led the majors with 23 triples that previous season in ‘07).

I was so disappointed reading the news of that trade and seeing the players the Marlins got in return.

And years later all I remember from those players is Andrew Miller not being a good pitcher while he was here, Cameron Maybin never living up to his potential and Burke Badenhop had a funny name. I don’t even remember the other players at all.

The best trade for me was when the Marlins traded for Jeff Conine on August 31, 2003. Since it was past the trading deadline it was very unexpected and last minute, but it definitely made an impact having Mr Marlin back and the Marlins went on to win their second World Series. 😂

Then there was the trade that can be described as one of the best and worst at the same time.  Gary Sheffield coming here to be a catalyst for the 97 championship.  The opposite is we traded a young Trevor Hoffman who would go on to the hall of fame.  Yet, it was a trade that both sides won.  We would never have kept Hoffman in the sell off.

I would include the Sheffield trade among the best trade. I would look at several that were made in the aftermath of the 1997 championship, trades that brought in Derrek Lee,  A.J. Burnett, Brad Penny, Braden Looper and Mike Lowell, whom years later he'd be flipped to get Hanley and Anibal. The 2002  trades that brought in Willis, Pavano, Mordecai and Encarnacion should be in the better trades.  Recently the deal to get Rojas and Dee worked out pretty good for the Fish. 

Worst trade definitely Cabrera, but I'd add the Yelich deal along with the Stanton trade.

I'd also throw in trading Johan Santana away as a worst trade candidate 

20 hours ago, SirFishFan said:

But with trading Cabrera and Willis, I was really expecting at least Curtis Granderson (Who batted .302 with 23 HR and led the majors with 23 triples that previous season in ‘07).

I believe, and could be wrong, that the Tigers offered Granderson and Verlander for Willis after 2005.

7 hours ago, Michael said:

I believe, and could be wrong, that the Tigers offered Granderson and Verlander for Willis after 2005.

I just looked it up and yes the Tigers reportedly offered Granderson and Verlander for Willis after the ‘05 season when Dontrelle won 22 games.

Most likely Loria/Samson/Beinfest were hoping that Dontrelle would continue with some more 20 win seasons in the next few years, and at that time Granderson and Verlander were still young and inexperienced players so I can understand why they didn’t make that trade.

But imagine how much more fun that ‘06 season would have been with Granderson in CF instead of Reggie Abercrombie and a starting rotation of Josh Johnson, Ricky Nolasco, Anibal Sanchez, Justin Verlander(who ended up going 17-9 for the Tigers in ‘06) and Scott Olsen/Brian Moehler. 😂😂😂😂😂

Not that it means the Marlins would have necessarily won a lot of more games that year if they had made that trade. And knowing the Marlins, probably Granderson and Verlander would have been traded away in 2-3 years anyways. But it’s still fun to think about it. 😂

Edited by SirFishFan

I remain steadfast in my belief the Mike Piazza, Todd Zeile / CJ, Sheff , Bonilla, Eisenrich, Barrios trade was the most significant trade in Marlins history and that the absolute worst trade is the Cabrera trade.

Research the Trade tree from the Piazza deal / CJ Draft selection and you'll see that it had the biggest impact on two world series championships, playoff runs and franchise leaders.

If I remember correctly, there are still players on the current day roster that transactions can be traced back to the Piazza trade.

2 minutes ago, Piazza31 said:

I remain steadfast in my belief the Mike Piazza, Todd Zeile / CJ, Sheff , Bonilla, Eisenrich, Barrios trade was the most significant trade in Marlins history and that the absolute worst trade is the Cabrera trade.

Research the Trade tree from the Piazza deal / CJ Draft selection and you'll see that it had the biggest impact on two world series championships, playoff runs and franchise leaders.

If I remember correctly, there are still players on the current day roster that transactions can be traced back to the Piazza trade.

Off the top of my head.

CJ

Piazza

Yarnell , Preston Wilson

Yarnell for Lowell , Preston Wilson for Juan Pierre

Juan Pierre for Ricky Nolasco , Sergio Mitre, Reynel Pinto

Mike Lowell for Hanley Ramirez and Anibal Sanchez

Hanley for Nathan Evoldi and Anibal for Rob Brantly and Jacob Turner

Evoldi for Phelps / Martin Prado

Phelps for Pablo Lopez

• Like 1
  • Banana 1

18 hours ago, Piazza31 said:

Off the top of my head.

CJ

Piazza

Yarnell , Preston Wilson

Yarnell for Lowell , Preston Wilson for Juan Pierre

Juan Pierre for Ricky Nolasco , Sergio Mitre, Reynel Pinto

Mike Lowell for Hanley Ramirez and Anibal Sanchez

Hanley for Nathan Evoldi and Anibal for Rob Brantly and Jacob Turner

Evoldi for Phelps / Martin Prado

Phelps for Pablo Lopez

Wow, that's awesome. Thanks Rain Man 

Cabrera and Willis is bad in retrospect, but we have the benefit of the fullness of time to make that determination.

The worst trade is that whole series of trades where we kept trying to dump Luis Castillo (P) until we succeeded. The Marlins were in a position, and this predates, at least the first time, Jose's tragic death, to have Jose pitching before Luis. Even with Castillo's poor season this season, the trade was just wrong headed from it's very conception

The Yelich trade may end up being the worst, which I would never have expected after the Cabrera trade

Yamamoto's already gone, from what I hear Harrison is probably done after this year, which just leaves Diaz and Brinson. Both have been awful at the MLB level. No indication whatsoever that any of these guys stick in MLB at all. At least Miller eventually figured it out, and while Maybin did not play well with the Marlins, he has had a decent career. Add in the fact that Yelich was on a very team friendly contract, and yeah, just a disaster.

• Sad 1