Rank all 15 Miami Marlins managers

SilverBullet

Wanted to ask who's the best manager in Marlins history but I thought a full ranking would be more fun especially as I started to think about how there are multiple factors to being a great manager and we would likely have different rankings based on those differences.

I would say Edwin Rodriguez is probably the best "actual" manager we ever had as in being the best guy for on-field decisions and setting his team up to win daily. 

Bringing in "other factors" I'm sure Leyland and McKeon would get plenty of love for what they did here and they might top Edwin for best manager in the history of the franchise...

Here are all the managers in the history of the Marlins:

1. Rene Lachemann

2. Cookie Rojas

3. John Boles

4. Jim Leyland

5. Tony Perez

6. Jeff Torborg

7. Jack McKeon

8. Joe Girardi

9. Fredi Gonzalez

10. Edwin Rodriguez

11. Brandon Hyde

12. Ozzie Guillen

13. Mike Redmond

14. Dan Jennings

15. Don Mattingly

How would you rank them and why?

• The title was changed to Rank all 15 Miami Marlins managers

My ranking:

1. Edwin Rodriguez (Best actual "manager of the game and his team," I wish he'd get another chance, we need this type of voice back)

2. Jim Leyland (Put instant respect on this franchise, the ultimate "we ain't here to screw around" manager, this organization has lacked this mentality for far too long)

3. Jack McKeon (His way to ignite a spark is enviable... but to say his impact waned over time is an understatement)

4. Fredi Gonzalez (So much respect for Fredi, I like him more than McKeon as a daily manager but he's here because McKeon's 2003 has to be accounted for)

5. Joe Girardi (We know his faults but holy cow what he did in 2006 was so great. One of the most truly deserving Manager of the Year winners ever, one of the best single season managerial performances ever, if this list is about their time as a manager it's hard to argue anyone was better than Girardi. You could make an argument he should be number one, he essentially never did anything wrong, he was great and that's it)

6. Don Mattingly (The most frustrating manager in our history. How can you be the best player's manager yet also the worst on field manager at the same time? All while being the sweetest dude around!? Also some bonus points for literally crying with him on multiple occasions: three (at least?) of the most emotional points in Marlins history were with Donnie at the helm, I think there's a real connection between Donnie and die hard Marlins fans because of that and I think those moments will always resonate here)

7. Rene Lachemann (No recollection of his day to day decisions and on field work, I was young and dumb and he was the best because he was my team's manager. In my mind he did well in leading an expansion team, I have no memory of him leaving on a sour note. He set the stage and others came in to produce the play. I wonder how I'd look at him if I was old enough to know what I was watching)

8. Mike Redmond (Another frustrating guy, did well to teach during a rebuild but just couldn't get over the hump when it was actually time to win. Probably would make a fantastic AAA or AA manager, or an MLB bench coach (yes I know he does this now) as he can teach you so much except how to win. He's below Lachemann because Lachemann was never expected to win like Redmond was)

9. Tony Perez (Did well but I wasn't watching day to day at this point so I honestly have zero memory of his work)

10. John Boles (Like Lachemann, I have almost no memories of his daily work, I wanna say he was no big deal but he was there quite a while and laid some groundwork for some very successful future teams so he had to have done something right)

11. Jeff Torborg (Is this guy not the most vanilla manager of them all? He was just there. I was stunned to see his record be as decent as it was. Someone please tell me he was better than I can remember?)

12. Ozzie Guillen (The captain of the Marlins Titanic, not only hit the iceberg but kept repeatedly barreling forward into the iceberg... It's one thing to make a mistake but it's another thing to consistently keep shoveling yourself deeper and deeper into the hole, good God Almighty... he could have escaped the Castro situation but he just kept shitting the bed)

13. Dan Jennings (The stain on the underwear of the Miami Marlins, he's not last because he actually won ballgames and because he's so unmemorable that it's actually allowed the general public to forget this even happened. Try this on a more recognizable team and you'd never hear the end of it)

14. Cookie Rojas (only cuz he won his one game... best winning percentage of them all!)

15. Brandon Hyde (only cuz he lost his one game)

1 hour ago, Das Texan said:

Including Rojas and Hyde in this is like including Mike Piazza as a Marlin great.

Marlins Top 15 Catchers of All Time:

1. Mike Piazza

2. Ivan “Pudge” Rodriguez

3. Charles Johnson

4. JT Realmuto

5. Mike Redmond

6. Paul LoDuca

7. Benito Santiago

8. Miguel Olivo

9. Matt Treanor

10. John Baker

11. Jacob Stallings

12. Jorge Alfaro

13. Ronny Paulino 

14. Steve Decker

15. Nick Fortes

Edited by SirFishFan

2 minutes ago, SirFishFan said:

Marlins Top 15 Catchers of All Time:

1. Mike Piazza

2. Ivan “Pudge” Rodriguez

3. Charles Johnson

4. JT Realmuto

5. Mike Redmond

6. Paul LoDuca

7. Benito Santiago

8. Miguel Olivo

9. Matt Treanor

10. John Baker

11. Jacob Stallings

12. Jorge Alfaro

13. John Buck

14. Francisco Cervelli

15. Nick Fortes

You left out Steve Decker

5 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

You left out Steve Decker

Sure, why not?

Original list updated to replace Francisco Cervelli with Steve Decker and replace John Buck with Ronny Paulino.

I actually could replace Fortes with Jarrod Saltalamaccia(too lazy to look up the correct spelling). But I feel like Fortes will move past him anyways. 😂

Here is a fun stat

Of people with 500 plate appearances or more with the Marlins

Jeff Mathis has the lowest OPS at .544

Second on that list

Isan Diaz at .562

Lew Brinson is 3rd at .573

and in a preview of whats to come when he is eligible....

Avisail Garcia then is at .583

who is then followed by Jacob Stallings at .589

36 minutes ago, Entendu said:

Fredi was an awful manager.. How do you all forget this?

I will always have a soft spot for him not tolerating Hanley's bullshit.  That alone gets him a bump up the rankings.  He was by no means some hard ass either but you better at least expend some effort if you expect to be out there playing. That is missing in a lot of managers in my opinion and I respect the hell outta ol Fredi for that.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, hovertical said:

I will always have a soft spot for him not tolerating Hanley's bullshit.  That alone gets him a bump up the rankings.  He was by no means some hard ass either but you better at least expend some effort if you expect to be out there playing. That is missing in a lot of managers in my opinion and I respect the hell outta ol Fredi for that.

This is fair.

11 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

13. Dan Jennings (The stain on the underwear of the Miami Marlins, he's not last because he actually won ballgames and because he's so unmemorable that it's actually allowed the general public to forget this even happened. Try this on a more recognizable team and you'd never hear the end of it)

Ironically, Jennings holds the highest winning percentage of any manager since they became the Miami Marlins.

15 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

I noticed this, reminds me of the talent on that 2015 team, imagine if they actually had a competent manager! 

Wasn’t it Redmond they got Rid of for that?  I felt at the time like they should’ve kept him longer, but Loria had that impatient itch.

wereent they like 16-22 or something like that at the time?

10 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

Wasn’t it Redmond they got Rid of for that?  I felt at the time like they should’ve kept him longer, but Loria had that impatient itch.

wereent they like 16-22 or something like that at the time?

Yea Redmond was probably let go too soon but again, it's showing urgency and accountability during a bad stretch, while Donnie and Kim have two bad seasons and nobody seems to care.

But Jennings took over after Redmond and under Jennings the team wasn't horrific.

2 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

Yea Redmond was probably let go too soon but again, it's showing urgency and accountability during a bad stretch, while Donnie and Kim have two bad seasons and nobody seems to care.

But Jennings took over after Redmond and under Jennings the team wasn't horrific.

All went downhill after Stanton had yet another season-ending injury.

His accumulated stats extrapolated out to a 59 homer season that year, BTW. lol

3 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

Yeah, I think he was let go too early, but I also don't have a problem with showing urgency/accountability......but the choice of going with Jennings was not the way to go.

1 hour ago, Michael said:

All went downhill after Stanton had yet another season-ending injury.

His accumulated stats extrapolated out to a 59 homer season that year, BTW. lol

Yeah, every season was over once Stanton went down.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

Yeah, every season was over once Stanton went down.

Which was absolutely absurd, wasn't it? What happened to the rest of the talent in the lineup whenever he got hurt or was in his mega-slumps?

What happened to Yelich and Ozuna and Realmuto during those games, ya know?

25 minutes ago, Michael said:

Which was absolutely absurd, wasn't it? What happened to the rest of the talent in the lineup whenever he got hurt or was in his mega-slumps?

What happened to Yelich and Ozuna and Realmuto during those games, ya know?

We were just two pitchers away.

Seen that argument sorta kinda come back again the last couple days as people reflect on Mattingly's run here and some are saying what a fantastic winning team he inherited when he got here. 

2 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

We were just two pitchers away.

Seen that argument sorta kinda come back again the last couple days as people reflect on Mattingly's run here and some are saying what a fantastic winning team he inherited when he got here. 

If we were winning, Redmond wouldn't have been fired. lolol