Bleday traded to Oakland for A.J. Puk

THRILLHO

I was big on Bleday because I thought he'd be a great hitter.. But it looks like somewhere along the way he morphed into a low average, high power guy..... In the minors. That doesn't translate well to the majors, where those hard hit balls are harder to come by, especially if you have trouble making contact in the first place. 

I love this move. I was mortified for three seconds when I saw this out of recoil, but it's a freaking great move. I see one of four scenarios and love all of them:

1. Mel tries to convert him into a starter

2. We found our closer

3. He's trade bait for another bat. We forget this guy is not far removed from being a top prospect.

4. He opens up the possibility of another pitcher being trade bait.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, pollythewog said:

For a potential every day starting OF. Good trade for both teams

If Bleday ever figures it out the trade will favor the A's because an everyday OF is more valuable than a reliever but if he plays like last year and how he was playing in the minors recently then the Marlins win this deal.

So it's actually a sign the Marlins want their big club to win now versus waiting in blind hope some kid who was awful figures it out.

It's a good thing to see and I wish they had started this before last season when these guys were ranked higher.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, hovertical said:

If Bleday ever figures it out the trade will favor the A's because an everyday OF is more valuable than a reliever but if he plays like last year and how he was playing in the minors recently then the Marlins win this deal.

So it's actually a sign the Marlins want their big club to win now versus waiting in blind hope some kid who was awful figures it out.

It's a good thing to see and I wish they had started this before last season when these guys were ranked higher.

It's been a punchline but maybe Jeter and Denbo really were the prospect hoarders and Kim is changing that narrative now. 

4 hours ago, Entendu said:

I was big on Bleday because I thought he'd be a great hitter.. But it looks like somewhere along the way he morphed into a low average, high power guy..... In the minors. That doesn't translate well to the majors, where those hard hit balls are harder to come by, especially if you have trouble making contact in the first place. 

I love this move. I was mortified for three seconds when I saw this out of recoil, but it's a freaking great move. I see one of four scenarios and love all of them:

1. Mel tries to convert him into a starter

2. We found our closer

3. He's trade bait for another bat. We forget this guy is not far removed from being a top prospect.

4. He opens up the possibility of another pitcher being trade bait.

He morphed into that hitter because that was the minor league development philosophy under Denbo. Now we’re doing a 180 on our approach to hitting and getting rid of guys like Bleday who we honestly probably ruined (at least temporarily). At least we’re getting value out of him. 

15 minutes ago, EricOwens! said:

He morphed into that hitter because that was the minor league development philosophy under Denbo. Now we’re doing a 180 on our approach to hitting and getting rid of guys like Bleday who we honestly probably ruined (at least temporarily). At least we’re getting value out of him. 

Yeah, it'd have been interesting to see what a different philosophy/approach would've done for some of the guys that have come here and struggled.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

Yeah, it'd have been interesting to see what a different philosophy/approach would've done for some of the guys that have come here and struggled.

Again, I think most of us are just happy to see real changes made to the big league roster that should make them better.  Two months or so ago this was an absolutely putrid offseason attempt.  Good to see Ng finally get down to business.  Now, her next task will be actually managing the roster in-season and not leaving the bench short for days or even weeks at a time.  I would think that would be the easier part of her job but she's been pretty bad at it two straight seasons and I can't see how Jeter/Denbo would have forced her into deliberately sabotaging the roster - I guess MAYBE to get "better" picks? But Jeter clearly also wanted to win now so I don't quite think that fits the narrative either.  Who knows for sure

3 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

I thought this was a unanimously good trade but the most misinformed negative take I've seen on social media from several people is: "Marlins have plenty of pitching but they need bats and outfielders, so why did they just trade an OF bat for another pitcher?" 

Breaking News:  Marlins trade starting CF Jesus Sanchez for SP Shane McClanahan

Social Media: "terrible trade.  Who's gonna play CF now? we need bats!"

On 2/11/2023 at 9:45 PM, rmc523 said:

Yeah, I really wish Brucey would've ponied up and spend money to drop one of the big SS names on this roster on top of everything else that was done.

I have to think she'll try to do more.......maybe like the Cueto signing, this is a precursor to another deal for a bat?

On 2/11/2023 at 9:54 PM, SilverBullet said:

If she does this, extend her immediately afterward. 

If she does this, I’ll be extended immediately afterward.

• Like 1
  • Banana 1