Marlins Exploring Trades for C and SS

4 minutes ago, Das Texan said:

Salvy isnt going anywhere.  He has no desire to leave, has said it both publically and privately numerous times. has full trade protection, and again has no desire to leave.  He has a ring, so he wouldnt be ring chasing anyway. 

Thats just wasted time.

I agree. And not to be mean the Marlins, but even in the 1% chance he might consider leaving, I highly highly doubt that the Marlins would be in his top 10 choices, not even top 20 choices.

11 hours ago, TheMarlinsProject said:

Not everyone. Some.  Sorry I was being a dick this morning, spending an hour in chat with horrific customer service from an unnamed company.  Let my frustrations boil over.

I still don't want Anderson or Grandal though and hope Jacob Amaya is a unanimous hall of fame first ballot inductee.

Or at least bats better than Wendle's .173.

You continue to talk as if trading for them means we'd be signing them for 4 years. Grandal is a FA. Anderson has a tream option in 2024...??? I agree on not giving out garbage contracts to people like chen and avisail Garcia... but this is obviously completely different 

And if anderson could be had for cheap, its an absolute no brainer. 14 mil team option next year is nothing. Him at his worse will probably be better than a 24 year old AAA prospect.

Just now, Iowa said:

You continue to talk as if trading for them means we'd be signing them for 4 years. Grandal is a FA. Anderson has a tream option in 2024...??? I agree on not giving out garbage contracts to people like chen and avisail Garcia... but this is obviously completely different 

And if anderson could be had for cheap, its an absolute no brainer. 14 mil team option next year is nothing. Him at his worse will probably be better than a 24 year old AAA prospect.

For cheap? Yes. For anything above cheap, hang up the phone.

i wouldn't mind grandal as the C2 although i have to believe the sox are gonna hold onto these guys closer to the deadline unless they get an overpay (i.e. not cheap) just to see if they can get some teams looking for depth due to injuries and whatnot to bid against one another.

i'm all aboard with trying to bring up some minor leaguers to try out in our critical areas of need that have been black holes so far this year.  again, it should be wildly easy to find a backup catcher who is at least great on defense due to Stallings being about as good as Chen was at batting.  at least get someone who plays great defense at the spot for the backup role and for christsakes give Fortes the starting catcher role already as he's literally better at every aspect of it than Stallings. 

On 5/29/2023 at 12:50 PM, TheMarlinsProject said:

The ones that are clamoring for a declining Tim Anderson and for godsakes a 34 year old shopworn catcher named Grandal. 

I respect anyone who is a Marlin fan through thick and thicker, but jeez educate yourselves.

Obviously trading for older players isn't ideal, but we have to look at it in context.

1) As others have mentioned, Grandal is a FA, and Anderson has an option for next year.  It's not like we're giving each a 10 year deal.

2a) We need help NOW to stay in the race, IMO.  We may get lucky and still be in it closer to the deadline, but I'd rather us get reinforcements early that help solidify our spot than just tread water and hope we're still in it.

2b) With C and SS being 2 big areas of need....look around the league.  Where are you getting a young version of those to fit with your wishes?

I completely agree with you, the repeating the same move for the aging vet in the offseason is bad, especially when they all seem to fall on their face here.  But it doesn't look like there's a much better alternative out there for those positions.......and nobody's saying to trade the farm for them either.

Anderson's OPS has been on a steep decline for the last 4 years and he's turning 30.  Hard pass for me.  Promote Amaya who is solid defensively and is maturing at the plate.

Grandal has negative trade value so we shouldn't have to give up much, if anything, for him if he is a half-season rental.  The problem is the front office is not going to give up on Stallings, I fear.

My preference would be taking a flyer on Joey Bart as the Giants have two other C's they prefer and he's expendable or the guy I mentioned from PIT whose name escapes me right now.  But again, I don't think they are going to get rid of Stallings so it's a moot point.

26 minutes ago, TheMarlinsProject said:

Grandal has negative trade value so we shouldn't have to give up much, if anything, for him if he is a half-season rental.  The problem is the front office is not going to give up on Stallings, I fear.

the FO won't even make Fortes the fulltime num 1 catcher on the Marlins! 

You know what would be SO Marlins?

They ditch Fortes but keep Stallings.