October 5, 20232 yr 1 minute ago, hovertical said: I spent it on VIP memberships.... 😞 but y'all riding high on making the playoffs and making decisions on emotion more than anything. She is still very subpar with roster mgmt so yeah, I wouldn't extend her. Oh well. At least one more year. Let's see her build up this team.
October 5, 20232 yr 8 hours ago, Michael said: At least one more year. Let's see her build up this team. You think she'll just sign a one year extension though? I wouldn't if I were her Edited October 5, 20232 yr by hovertical
October 5, 20232 yr 1 hour ago, Valid said: It was a fun year. Definitely the most fun year since 2003. Hopefully Kim makes the right moves this offseason, and I hope even more that Bruce actually opens his wallet and shells out some money. This team is not that far away. It was a great season. Highs and lows, a star rookie, a couple of breakouts, an excellent trade deadline, a lot of amazing comeback wins, and a September to remember. I’m not sure I agree that they’re not that far away, though, unless you mean not that far away from another wildcard berth. But if they’re going to compete with teams like the Braves, Dodgers, Phillies, and Astros, they need at least 3 legit position players. 1+ WAR at catcher, an .850+ OPS everyday corner outfielder, and a 2+ WAR shortstop. Probably plus a decent starter and 1-2 bullpen arms. That’s a very tall order, especially with a cheap shit owner.
October 5, 20232 yr Author 8 hours ago, hovertical said: You think she'll just sign a one year extension though? I wouldn't if I were her She will not. She will be coveted this off season
October 5, 20232 yr 3 minutes ago, pollythewog said: She will not. She will be coveted this off season And that's fine. It's why FA's, even shitty ones, get overpaid without looking at their entire body of work.
October 5, 20232 yr I would say the biggest problem right now is the farm system not producing MLB ready hitters. It's mostly the fault of Jeter's regime at this point.
October 5, 20232 yr 11 hours ago, Valid said: Let's be honest: we all knew this team wasn't winning the World Series this year. Yeah it sucks that they didn't win a single playoff game and it's freaking annoying, but if you went around and asked each forum member if they thought the Marlins would make the postseason in 2023, most of us would have said no. It was a fun year. Definitely the most fun year since 2003. Hopefully Kim makes the right moves this offseason, and I hope even more that Bruce actually opens his wallet and shells out some money. This team is not that far away. Yeah, it sucks that we played so poorly and weren't even competitive. I tried to look at it that way too last night - I didn't think they'd make the playoffs before the season, so making the playoffs is a success! Hopefully we can make necessary upgrades and build on this year's success next year. 11 hours ago, SilverBullet said: That's true too. I dunno, maybe its cuz we're the Marlins and people are gonna act like "this team is awful and this proves they suck and didn't deserve this spot" while people are gonna look at Milwaukee and especially Tampa Bay and be like "oh those teams are great they just got outplayed. " Maybe I'm wrong, I dunno. Yeah, all WC series were sweeps, interestingly enough - TB lost by the same amount as us, and they were better.
October 5, 20232 yr Maybe we're really bad luck to face the Phillies in the wildcard series, Phillies apparently is a much better "postseason team " than the Brewers.
October 5, 20232 yr 24 minutes ago, TaiwanMarlins said: Maybe we're really bad luck to face the Phillies in the wildcard series, Phillies apparently is a much better "postseason team " than the Brewers. Eh. All series ended in sweeps. Did all four of the swept teams not deserve to be in?
October 5, 20232 yr 1 hour ago, Michael said: Eh. All series ended in sweeps. Did all four of the swept teams not deserve to be in? MLB just cleaning house
October 5, 20232 yr 14 hours ago, Michael said: 12 piece McNuggets with Trevor Rogers? IDK man. There's no such thing as a 12 piece Mcnuggets.
October 5, 20232 yr 13 hours ago, mystikol87 said: It was a great season. Highs and lows, a star rookie, a couple of breakouts, an excellent trade deadline, a lot of amazing comeback wins, and a September to remember. I’m not sure I agree that they’re not that far away, though, unless you mean not that far away from another wildcard berth. But if they’re going to compete with teams like the Braves, Dodgers, Phillies, and Astros, they need at least 3 legit position players. 1+ WAR at catcher, an .850+ OPS everyday corner outfielder, and a 2+ WAR shortstop. Probably plus a decent starter and 1-2 bullpen arms. That’s a very tall order, especially with a cheap shit owner. I don't necessarily agree with this. A lot of it hinges on Sandy's health obviously, but if he does return at any point next season, you are looking at a rotation that features Sandy/Luzardo/Braxton/Eury. That is an incredibly formidable group of pitchers that could absolutely give opposing teams fits during a playoff series. They obviously need a couple of bats. We've been saying this. But to me, when you are just a couple of bats away, you aren't that far. When you have a great rotation, sometimes all you need to do is get to the playoffs. If the Marlins can get to the postseason with that group of pitchers and their offense improves to even middle of the pack next season, they can absolutely make a deep playoff run. The most complete team doesn't always win. Edited October 5, 20232 yr by Valid
October 5, 20232 yr ON another note, TB, while they did get screwed with day games, had the lowest attended playoff games in a century - 19k and 20k. Doesn't bode well for their new park. Had we had a playoff game, I guarantee it'd have been full.
October 5, 20232 yr 43 minutes ago, SilverBullet said: There's no such thing as a 12 piece Mcnuggets. There is when a deal is happening!
October 5, 20232 yr 45 minutes ago, SilverBullet said: There's no such thing as a 12 piece Mcnuggets. Think outside the box. Order 2 six-piece McNuggets
October 5, 20232 yr 13 minutes ago, rmc523 said: ON another note, TB, while they did get screwed with day games, had the lowest attended playoff games in a century - 19k and 20k. Doesn't bode well for their new park. Had we had a playoff game, I guarantee it'd have been full. Oh yes. That city gives no shit that their team is good. Miami isn't like that.
October 5, 20232 yr 40 minutes ago, SilverBullet said: Oh yes. That city gives no shit that their team is good. Miami isn't like that. They also had the games scheduled at 3 pm on a Tuesday and Wednesday two days before the series began. Like ... lol. Not many people can get a day off with two days notice.
October 5, 20232 yr 1 hour ago, rmc523 said: ON another note, TB, while they did get screwed with day games, had the lowest attended playoff games in a century - 19k and 20k. Doesn't bode well for their new park. Had we had a playoff game, I guarantee it'd have been full. Actually, bodes very well as the new park is only expected to seat 30k for baseball. Very intimate park.
October 5, 20232 yr 8 minutes ago, fish53 said: Very intimate park. That's dangerous, got fans ejected in Oakland and Toronto last season
October 5, 20232 yr 2 hours ago, Valid said: I don't necessarily agree with this. A lot of it hinges on Sandy's health obviously, but if he does return at any point next season, you are looking at a rotation that features Sandy/Luzardo/Braxton/Eury. That is an incredibly formidable group of pitchers that could absolutely give opposing teams fits during a playoff series. They obviously need a couple of bats. We've been saying this. But to me, when you are just a couple of bats away, you aren't that far. When you have a great rotation, sometimes all you need to do is get to the playoffs. If the Marlins can get to the postseason with that group of pitchers and their offense improves to even middle of the pack next season, they can absolutely make a deep playoff run. The most complete team doesn't always win. If Sandy is healthy, I love those four. But can they hold up over an entire season yet? Seems like they’re still stretching out. Solidly above-average bats are not easy to come by; what gives you that much confidence (for lack of a better word) that it’s doable? When you say it’s not necessarily the most complete team that wins, I agree. But adding 2-3 starter-quality position players is what’s needed for this team to hopefully be just passable offensively. They were dead last in runs in the NL this year. And those other top teams also have very good rotations when healthy. If we had a huge edge there, then I’d be comfortable with a bit less offensively, but I don’t think that’s the case. Again, good enough to make the playoffs, even win a series or two. But it’s hard to imagine that beating 2-3 of Astros, Dodgers, Braves, Phillies.
October 5, 20232 yr 31 minutes ago, fish53 said: Actually, bodes very well as the new park is only expected to seat 30k for baseball. Very intimate park. ok.....so it'd have only been 1/3 empty instead of 1/2 empty? 1 hour ago, Michael said: They also had the games scheduled at 3 pm on a Tuesday and Wednesday two days before the series began. Like ... lol. Not many people can get a day off with two days notice. That's fair, though the other teams didn't have issues getting people.
October 5, 20232 yr 1 hour ago, rmc523 said: That's fair, though the other teams didn't have issues getting people. Target Field is downtown around a bunch of workplaces so I'm sure people just left work early in that case. Tropicana isn't, from what I 'member. The other two series were night games. A bit easier. Lol
October 6, 20232 yr Author Their record in 1 run games will never be this good again. The offense was still 28th in runs.
October 6, 20232 yr 1 hour ago, pollythewog said: Their record in 1 run games will never be this good again. The offense was still 28th in runs. You don't know that.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.