Upcoming firesale

5 minutes ago, TaiwanMarlins said:

The only bright point of this team now, I know he's the type of player “Rays Baseball” wants to lock up long term so why not do it now ?

Cause it's too late, he won't sign for 8 years at $6M with two team options for $750,000 each.

• Haha 1

I posted this on the Athletic article...

It was inexcusable for the team to have done literally nothing in the offseason.  Anyone that’s watched baseball knew that they were going to have pitching issues despite supposed depth, and the team has had a terrible lineup for years.

This team needs an owner with deep pockets that is willing to spend big and take monetary losses for a few years to build excitement for the team.  The south Florida area comes out for winners.  They don’t show up for teams that lose for 15 years straight.  Attendance rose last year with better play….how on earth do you not capitalize on that by making multiple moves to improve the team?   It’s pathetic.

Ownership has claimed for years since they bought the team that they’ll spend when it’s time to….how is the year after a playoff appearance NOT a time to spend?  Instead, payroll is LESS than last year…..Ownership clearly doesn’t care, why should fans?

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Admin said:

There's just not that much to even sell off, this isn't like 1998.

They'll dump all the pitchers and start over.

I don't have another rebuild in me to fully care anymore.  I'll go full casual mode.

24 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

It was inexcusable for the team to have done literally nothing in the offseason.  Anyone that’s watched baseball knew that they were going to have pitching issues despite supposed depth, and the team has had a terrible lineup for years.

This team needs an owner with deep pockets that is willing to spend big and take monetary losses for a few years to build excitement for the team.  The south Florida area comes out for winners.  They don’t show up for teams that lose for 15 years straight.  Attendance rose last year with better play….how on earth do you not capitalize on that by making multiple moves to improve the team?   It’s pathetic.

Ownership has claimed for years since they bought the team that they’ll spend when it’s time to….how is the year after a playoff appearance NOT a time to spend?  Instead, payroll is LESS than last year…..Ownership clearly doesn’t care, why should fans?

checks by line to see who wandered into my head to plagiarize me. 

19 minutes ago, Rydawg said:

I don't subscribe to the Athletic.  What does it say?

Basically we may start dumping guys sooner rather than later because we've already lost so many games and have looked terrible while doing so. It listed Arraez and Lizard as the big pieces to be moved of course.

• Sad 1

31 minutes ago, TaiwanMarlins said:

Baseball God sending Huizenga, Henry, Loria and Sherman to try to destroy South Florida baseball. 

Huizenga is the reason South Florida baseball (and hockey) existed in the first place so not sure that's fair.

• Banana 1

4 hours ago, rmc523 said:

Y'all are delusional if you think an owner is going to come in here and spend big. You also keep making the same mistake thinking handing out sizeable contracts directly results in winning. Only way this thing is righted is through draft and development. Unfortunately, Jeter and Ng were atrocious at that. Thats why the current lineup is made up ENTIRELY of players they had to deplete the farm system to trade for.

Edited by SoFlaKingReal
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, SoFlaKingReal said:

Y'all are delusional if you think an owner is going to come in here and spend big. You also keep making the same mistake thinking handing out big contracts directly results in winning. Only way this thing is righted is through draft and development. Unfortunately, Jeter and Ng were atrocious at that. Thats why the current lineup is made up ENTIRELY of players they had to deplete the farm system to trade for.

It's some combination that lands in the middle. Good drafting and development with some key signings that require a larger contract.

Astros, basically.

4 minutes ago, Michael said:

It's some combination that lands in the middle. Good drafting and development with some key signings that require a larger contract.

Astros, basically.

I agree 100%....but look at what the Astros acquired through IFA or draft: Altuve, Correa, Springer, Tucker, Bregman, Y. Alvarez..... what hitters did Jeter/Ng acquire through those same means? Zilch. Unfortunately, we have not built the foundation of a winning team, not even close. Throwing money at free agents without a core in place is like lipstick on a pig.

I get the frustration, following this team is not the faint of heart.

Edited by SoFlaKingReal

1 minute ago, SoFlaKingReal said:

I agree 100%....but look at what the Astros acquired through IFA or draft: Altuve, Correa, Springer, Tucker, Bregman, Y. Alvarez..... what did Jeter/Ng acquire? Unfortunately, we have not built the foundation of a winning team, not even close. Spending now is like lipstick on a pig.

I'm with ya here. Just saying once that base is developed, you have to sprinkle in a couple big boy contracts from FA.

'N' stuff.

Go ahead and blow it up.

I canceled my MLB tv before the end of the 7 day trial period. There’s multiple reasons for this none bigger than the other.

Reason 1, I’m still blacked out in NC from two different division teams as is and the orioles so I miss a lot of the games because the stupid blackout rule and I’m not getting cable to watch the Braves or nats.

2. I’m sick of some of the MLB decisions, especially the new Uniform situation. I’m getting F’ing blasted with sports gambling commercials but but you got the whole gambling issues. Also MLB inexplicably removed first responders from the GovX discount while military and students remain. They had it for years and obviously one of the remaining ones is not  like the other.  I never ask for a discount but having it for years and taking it away without any explanation why, while leaving students is a head scratcher.

3. I don’t mind paying to watch a baseball team under .500 but when we intentionally do nothing and the team shows it on the field, I won’t do it.

2 minutes ago, AeroFishOne said:

Go ahead and blow it up.

I canceled my MLB tv before the end of the 7 day trial period. There’s multiple reasons for this none bigger than the other.

Reason 1, I’m still blacked out in NC from two different division teams as is and the orioles so I miss a lot of the games because the stupid blackout rule and I’m not getting cable to watch the Braves or nats.

2. I’m sick of some of the MLB decisions, especially the new Uniform situation. I’m getting F’ing blasted with sports gambling commercials but but you got the whole gambling issues. Also MLB inexplicably removed first responders from the GovX discount while military and students remain. They had it for years and obviously one of the remaining ones is not  like the other.  I never ask for a discount but having it for years and taking it away without any explanation why, while leaving students is a head scratcher.

3. I don’t mind paying to watch a baseball team under .500 but when we intentionally do nothing and the team shows it on the field, I won’t do it.

I'm with you. It sucks to be a fan of this team these days- or the last 6 years. All that goodwill this regime bought with others.... they cashed out and are just flat out cashing out.

40 minutes ago, Michael said:

Huizenga is the reason South Florida baseball (and hockey) existed in the first place so not sure that's fair.

💯%  When he realized he wasn't going to get the stadium funding he wanted, he sold the team.  He didn't like ger and pretend to care while profiting off of a losing product like Loria, Henry and Sherman.  He actually spent money on that 97 WS roster.

1 hour ago, Rydawg said:

I don't subscribe to the Athletic.  What does it say?

In addition to what was mentioned above, it said that sources in the FO mentioned how Bendix primarily focused this offseason on team/FO infrastructure vs. players, which we saw with the 857 AGMs he hired.

34 minutes ago, SoFlaKingReal said:

Y'all are delusional if you think an owner is going to come in here and spend big. You also keep making the same mistake thinking handing out sizeable contracts directly results in winning. Only way this thing is righted is through draft and development. Unfortunately, Jeter and Ng were atrocious at that. Thats why the current lineup is made up ENTIRELY of players they had to deplete the farm system to trade for.

1) I'm not sitting here expecting it to happen.

2) I'm talking someone like Bezos with f*** you money that doesn't care

3) No, $ =/= winning, but it can certainly help support what you already have.

4) Obviously drafting/IFA is an issue, otherwise Kim would likely still be here......I'm saying you pull a Dodgers situation where you spend money while you work on drafting and developing and then you can follow that route and lower payroll down the road while still winning.

5) You really don't think that spending money and winning more (in the short term while working on drafting/developing) would NOT be better than the current situation?