Marlins hire coaching staff

fauowls44

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Florida Marlins - Named Gary Tuck bench coach, Jim Presley hitting coach, Rick Kranitz pitching coach, Perry Hill first base coach, Bobby Meacham third base coach, Mike Harkey bullpen coach and Pierre Arsenault bullpen coordinator.

Link

Marlins' Girardi announces coaching staff

By KEVIN BAXTER

[email protected]

New Marlins manager Joe Girardi filled out his coaching staff Wednesday by naming former New York Yankee catching instructor Gary Tuck bench coach and former American League All-Star Jim Presley the hitting instructor.

Since being named manager in October, Girardi has completely remade the Marlins coaching ranks, retaining only infield/first base coach Perry Hill and bullpen coordinator Pierre Arsenault from Jack McKeon's staff.

Tuck will replace Harry Dunlop, who retired, while Presley, a former hitting coach with the Arizona Diamondbacks and more recently a minor league manager, replaces Bill Robinson, who guided the team to three of the top four season averages in franchise history since 2003, including a National League-best .272 last season.

The rest of the staff includes Bobby Meacham, a former Yankee infielder and Colorado Rockies minor league instructor who takes over for Jeff Cox as the third-base coach; Chicago Cubs' minor-league coach Rick Kranitz, who will replace Mark Wiley as pitching coach; and ex-big-league pitcher Mike Harkey, who takes over for Luis Dorante as bullpen coach.

Cox is now third-base coach for the Pittsburgh Pirates while Wiley works in the Rockies' front office while Dorante is expected to take a job in the Marlins' minor league system.

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/13457930.htm

Guest markotsay7

With the exception of Hill, possibly the worst coaching staff in all of baseball.

Way to go.

Geez...lighten up. It's not that bad. I like the idea of so many of them being recently in the Major Leagues...I think they'll do a nice job of relating to our young kids.

We had prospects of having Galarraga, Key, and Baylor on our staff.

Look who we ended up with.

With the exception of Hill, possibly the worst coaching staff in all of baseball.

Way to go.

Geez...lighten up. It's not that bad. I like the idea of so many of them being recently in the Major Leagues...I think they'll do a nice job of relating to our young kids.

Can you really blame any of them for wanting to stay home, though?

Way to go.

Can you really blame any of them for wanting to stay home, though?

did they stay home due to the Marlins not offering enough money or because they think the team will suck?

coaching a young talented team should appeal to 2ndary coaches

Jim Presley's lifetime MLB batting average?

:plain

:lol

Anyhow good luck to all of them. :thumbup

If I am not mistaken, Toronto's hitting coach never even made it to MLB.

Mickey Brantley played 4 years in the MLB.

You don't necessarily need to be a great player in the majors to be a good coach, it was just a little jab at him. :shifty

Jim Presley's lifetime MLB batting average?

:plain

:lol

Anyhow good luck to all of them. :thumbup

Being a good hitter does not make somebody a good teacher.

I am willing to give these guys a chance to see what they can do. Like the young players they will lead, they will be motivated to do a great job.