According to Baseball Tonght

presuming the marlins cant resign willis it will be interesting when the time comes to see what he gets on the open market, a 500 pitcher with an era approaching 5 in the national league in the past that wouldnt get a huge deal

he still has two seasons left before that happens right?

Dontrelle is officially not gonna be traded

meh

if a good offer comes along, he's gone imo

And that offer would most certainly have to help this team win right now, correct?

No. 2008. Adam Jones. Jeff Clement. Wladimir Balentien. Pick 2, grab a single A arm like Harvey Garcia outside the Mariners top 5 pitching prospects, and maybe even ask for Jeremy Reed as a throw in because why not. Throw in Armando/Kim to sweeten the deal too because who cares about them.

meh

Is that what you think will happen or what you want to happen? Because I know personally I want them to move him for the right deal, but I think they are intent on keeping him through 08 because they think he will help them compete for the playoffs more than the top prospects they can get in exchange. :|

I think politically or from a PR standpoint, one of the players coming back in a Dontrelle Willis trade has to be enough of a big name (even if he's a free agent come the end of the season) to be able to sell the trade to the fan base and deflect media criticism.

For example, using Lou's scenario and please don't take this literally or tell me the other team would never do it, this is just for illustration - it might be a two month rental of the upcoming free agent Ichiro Suzuki plus Jones and Clement for DW and fillintheblank.

Where I disagree with Lou is only in the (fanbase) acceptance of a trade of the "face" of the franchise for players who might not help until next season. Which is not to say that isn't in the best interest of the franchise.

Without the "name" coming back, albeit temporarily, the media would have a field day heaping scorn on the franchise for trading the beloved Dontrelle "...for a couple of minor leaguers. What's wrong with these people??? It looks like another firesale folks, they'll be trading Ramirez and Uggla next...Olsen's gone next week, rumors are Gregg has already been offered around...you heard it here first...they're all gone too. The Marlins will lose 163 game next season guaranteed...".

You get the point. Trades aren't always all about the fairness of them. Other factors sometimes do come into play.

meh

Is that what you think will happen or what you want to happen? Because I know personally I want them to move him for the right deal, but I think they are intent on keeping him through 08 because they think he will help them compete for the playoffs more than the top prospects they can get in exchange. :|

I don't even know what I think anymore

Where I disagree with Lou is only in the (fanbase) acceptance of a trade of the "face" of the franchise for players who might not help until next season. Which is not to say that isn't in the best interest of the franchise.

PR Standpoint = STADIUM and WINNING. We don't need a big name. We need a ballpark, and we need to get better. No player in the franchise can help that first one as the florida legislature isn't going to say, oh no stadium for you. You traded Dontrelle. But that second one is absolutely controllable. If we can get the perfect deal from Seattle, or someone else wants to drop a Saltalamacchia and friends on us, we absolutely have to do it even if the fan base has no clue who the young guys are. They will learn real quick cause this team has an insane amount of potential if they add some key pieces on offense and all the DL'd pitchers can throw innings next year.

If they feel they can get adequate value for Dontrelle I am sure they would do it. But his value is not what it was 2 years ago and they might feel he is more valuable just to keep rather than get some minor prospects for him. He isn't pitching particularly lights out this year but gives you more innings than the other starters and does keep you in ball games.

meh

And that offer would most certainly have to help this team win right now, correct?

No. 2008. Adam Jones. Jeff Clement. Wladimir Balentien. Pick 2, grab a single A arm like Harvey Garcia outside the Mariners top 5 pitching prospects, and maybe even ask for Jeremy Reed as a throw in because why not. Throw in Armando/Kim to sweeten the deal too because who cares about them.

I like that!

Guest Festa

So trading Dontrelle for simply "unknowns" will have NO effect on the fanbase.

:rolleyes:

Short term = Yes

Long term = No

When the team is in the play off hunt again all those bandwagoners that jumped off in the last weeks of 2003 will come back. Most of the people who go to the stadium now are the "intellectual" baseball fans that know the various reasons behind any trade.

So trading Dontrelle for simply "unknowns" will have NO effect on the fanbase.

:rolleyes:

Short term = Yes

Long term = No

When the team is in the play off hunt again all those bandwagoners that jumped off in the last weeks of 2003 will come back. Most of the people who go to the stadium now are the "intellectual" baseball fans that know the various reasons behind any trade.

Agreed and like I was implying, there would be SOME effect on the fanbase.

[

Not based on the fans who I often have sitting around me. I bet most of you can come up with the most ridiculous things you hear people around you say or ask-BUT-they are there, in a seat, and thus, I can only say thank you and keep asking why Dontrelle can't pitch two days in a row, like the best player in little league used to.