Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Andrew Miller

Featured Replies

Volstad's not coming up.

Financial reasons.

 

Volstad's not coming up.

Because Volstad's not ready. No need to rush him. The FO has shown in the past that if someone is deemed ready, up they come. Financial reasons be damned. In Chris's case I think patience is a virtue.

 

I think Andrew should go down and get things together. Put Doug in the rotation for now and bring someone up to fill the long relief spot. Leave Volstad where he is to get his starts in and fine tune.

what is the pont of qwasting him in aa when you have this piece of sh*t on the mound every 5 days

Andrew Miller is an L everytime he starts. Some changes need to be made.

Except for that time he got a W against the Braves. Or the 3 no decisions.

 

But I agree that something need to be done. I am all for the idea that has been thrown around here, about bring someone up for the pen and putting Waechter in the rotation. He convinced me with his 4 innings today.

I think it is pretty clear to everybody that Miller isn't ready and should be sent down. The question is why hasn't Beinfest sent him down yet?

I think he will get a few more chances before they decide to send him down. If he doesn't improve of course.

I understand that we are not supposed to compete this season, and that even though we are winning, most people don't expect it to last. I also understand that we are building toward the future this season, and that some players have to take their lumps at the big league level in order to improve.

 

However, I think that while this team is in contention, and is still winning, that the front office owes it to them to give them their best shot a winning. I mean how do you look Hanley, Jacobs, Willy, and others in the face, knowing they are giving you their all, and you are not giving them your all. Do you tell them "go out there and give it your all, jump into bleachers, dive head first, play through pain, but remember, this year doesn't count."

 

Something has to be done right now. Not tomorrow, not next week, not even in June. A change has to be made right away. I don't pretend to know what the change is. Whether it's to bring up Volstad, promote Waechter to the rotation, a trade, or whatever it is, but these guys deserve better. It's bad enough that the media doesn't respect them, and that they have very few fans here at home. They at least deserve to know that their own front office believes in them and is not going to betray them.

Volstad's not coming up.

Financial reasons.

 

Volstad's not coming up.

Because Volstad's not ready. No need to rush him. The FO has shown in the past that if someone is deemed ready, up they come. Financial reasons be damned. In Chris's case I think patience is a virtue.

 

I think Andrew should go down and get things together. Put Doug in the rotation for now and bring someone up to fill the long relief spot. Leave Volstad where he is to get his starts in and fine tune.

what is the pont of qwasting him in aa when you have this piece of sh*t on the mound every 5 days

Because there's no point in rushing talent to the majors. Miller was rushed by the Tigers and look what's happening to him.

The team is 3-3 when he starts. He's had 2 legitimately OK starts, 2 starts where he couldn't catch a break, and 2 starts where he was crushed. He is not ready, but I doubt any healthy pitcher in the organization, that isn't already in the rotation, is ready. The team is going to have to continue to bash its way through the starts of the bottom of the rotation and capitalize on the quality atop the rotation. Come July, when Sanchez is back, and when Volstad will not accelerate his arbitration, we will see what this team looks like.

 

Olsen

Sanchez

Hendrickson

Volstad

Mitre (ugh)

 

May work out to be a lot better.

Do you think the reason why Miller is not being sent down is because he is the 5th highest player on the team, with a salary of around $1.3 million/year?

Volstad's not coming up.

Financial reasons.

 

Volstad's not coming up.

Because Volstad's not ready. No need to rush him. The FO has shown in the past that if someone is deemed ready, up they come. Financial reasons be damned. In Chris's case I think patience is a virtue.

 

I think Andrew should go down and get things together. Put Doug in the rotation for now and bring someone up to fill the long relief spot. Leave Volstad where he is to get his starts in and fine tune.

what is the pont of qwasting him in aa when you have this piece of sh*t on the mound every 5 days

 

Because he's not ready. There are other avenues to go until he is.

Volstad's not coming up.

Financial reasons.

 

Volstad's not coming up.

Because Volstad's not ready. No need to rush him. The FO has shown in the past that if someone is deemed ready, up they come. Financial reasons be damned. In Chris's case I think patience is a virtue.

 

I think Andrew should go down and get things together. Put Doug in the rotation for now and bring someone up to fill the long relief spot. Leave Volstad where he is to get his starts in and fine tune.

what is the pont of qwasting him in aa when you have this piece of sh*t on the mound every 5 days

Because there's no point in rushing talent to the majors. Miller was rushed by the Tigers and look what's happening to him.

 

Add in Dutch Boy right here.

I'm on the Waecter/Nelson boat. Doug showed us in ST, in Triple-A, and now here that he is performing. Nelson is in the same boat. Hell, I think Joe could be this years Justin Miller the way he's been throwing.

 

I WANT to have confidence in Miller, but Rydawg was RIGHT on the money: Beinfest & Co. owes it to this team to put them in the best situation to win, and that is clearly not with him on the mound at this point.

I read that Miller has some history of leg/knee problem (tendinitis).

 

"Another reason for a quick exit for Miller was a hitch to the left-hander's right knee. Miller has been battling some tendinitis in his knee since his days with the Tigers. After the 2007 season, he had a precautionary MRI, which was examined by the Marlins at the time of the December trade with Detroit.

 

Miller winced while running to first base to cover the bag, and Rabelo noticed. At that point, the left-hander's day was done. Miller said that he fully expects to be ready for his next start, which, barring any changes, would fall on Sunday against the Padres. "

I read that Miller has some history of leg/knee problem (tendinitis).

 

"Another reason for a quick exit for Miller was a hitch to the left-hander's right knee. Miller has been battling some tendinitis in his knee since his days with the Tigers. After the 2007 season, he had a precautionary MRI, which was examined by the Marlins at the time of the December trade with Detroit.

 

Miller winced while running to first base to cover the bag, and Rabelo noticed. At that point, the left-hander's day was done. Miller said that he fully expects to be ready for his next start, which, barring any changes, would fall on Sunday against the Padres. "

Oh so that's why he runs like a girl.

I'm really inclined to think that the Marlins could have done better than Rabelo if they dealt to two separate teams. Quite frankly I'm not even sure why they bothered. He is marginally better than Treanor, at best.

 

agreed.

I read that Miller has some history of leg/knee problem (tendinitis).

 

"Another reason for a quick exit for Miller was a hitch to the left-hander's right knee. Miller has been battling some tendinitis in his knee since his days with the Tigers. After the 2007 season, he had a precautionary MRI, which was examined by the Marlins at the time of the December trade with Detroit.

 

Miller winced while running to first base to cover the bag, and Rabelo noticed. At that point, the left-hander's day was done. Miller said that he fully expects to be ready for his next start, which, barring any changes, would fall on Sunday against the Padres. "

Now they're turning to BS excuses. Why can't Beinfest just admit he's not ready? Oh well. Whatever gets him the demotion I guess.

and if they would start badenhops big league time, whats wrong about volstad's? exactly

 

Badenhop's chances of winding up in our rotation long-term (& thus being a $ issue) are not anywhere near Volstad's.

 

so that would mean they would rather save money than try to win more

I'm really inclined to think that the Marlins could have done better than Rabelo if they dealt to two separate teams. Quite frankly I'm not even sure why they bothered. He is marginally better than Treanor, at best.

 

agreed.

 

 

I don't. I think that Willis's trade value was little if anything. Maybe we could have gotten a Rabelo like player, but I can't imagine getting anything much better.

I also don't think recalling Badenhop had much to do with money. Both had great spring trainings. I think it comes down to this: Badenhop is 25 and was still in double A. He looked good in spring training. 25 is nearing the last opportunity for a prospect to make it. By bringing him up, there was no risk to a young guys who still has potential to grow. Hopper is coming into his prime, so if he is going to make it, he had to make it now. That made him the more logical call up. I don't ever remember an instance when $ has made a difference to the Marlins. If it did, Andrew Miller would definitely be in the minors right now.

I'm really inclined to think that the Marlins could have done better than Rabelo if they dealt to two separate teams. Quite frankly I'm not even sure why they bothered. He is marginally better than Treanor, at best.

 

agreed.

 

 

I don't. I think that Willis's trade value was little if anything. Maybe we could have gotten a Rabelo like player, but I can't imagine getting anything much better.

There were rumors that Seattle might have offered Clement or Jones. They were pretty desperate for pitching. The Marlins made the mistake of holding on to him until after the season when teams were less desperate and Willis' performance was in decline.

 

Pitching is in high demand. Willis has had some pretty solid seasons and a history of staying healthy (until recently, of course). The Marlins easily could have done better than Rabelo if offering Willis to a pitcher hungry team with a surplus of talent. The Marlins had to have known they would be trading Willis before the trading deadline...or at least I would like to think so. My guess is that they held onto him in hopes that his performance would bounce back. I will admit that this was a mistake and I'm not voicing this opinion in hindsight.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.