5/20 postgame thread

Now THAT'S a quality win. Micah Owings, 1st place DBacks.

Hendrickson did a real nice job tonight, pitch count was up but I'll take it.

The pen was a little shaky except for Gregg who was superman. 8th inning bases loaded 1 out? How about K's for Upton & Byrnes. And then shuts them down in the 9th. Awesome stuff.

Some nice defense, baserunning, good fundamentals tonight.

Oh and Dan Sluggin' Uggla isn't slowing down.

WOW....... this little nugget is from the AP recap...

The Marlins lead the NL East, but South Florida has yet to take notice. Attendance was 10,696.

Just sad.... after the announcement of Hanley's signing, the Stadium deal, the winning team in 1st place all year. That really saddens me and upsets me even more because I do not live there anymore and cannot go to the games. Ohhh how I wish I could still goto games anytime I want...

Hanley needs a day off

Agreed

Tomorrow might be good against Webb or Thursday against Haren.

Jeez, if we beat Webb tomorrow then that would probably be the biggest morale and confidence booster for this team.

Also - Uggla has a homer off of Webb in 6 atbats (2-6, .333 average) so we could see something there.

The Marlins lead the NL East, but South Florida has yet to take notice. Attendance was 10,696.

Just sad.... after the announcement of Hanley's signing, the Stadium deal, the winning team in 1st place all year. That really saddens me and upsets me even more because I do not live there anymore and cannot go to the games. Ohhh how I wish I could still goto games anytime I want...

It's a Tuesday, and first place or not, Arizona is not gonna be a huge draw. And we're also talking first place in May. Not to diminish the accomplishment at all, but if we're talking a first place team in late August or September that might also make a difference.

I know it should be seen as a big game, but to expect good attendance is to be in denial of the long standing reality. And everything that sucks about playing at Joe Robbie still sucks. Even the Hanley signing and the new Stadium deal can't change that at all. And if anything, people probably figure they can see Hanley some other time, since he'll be around for a while now.

About the actual game - great pitching aside from Pinto, but hey, you can't pitch great all the time. Gregg came up big though. Hendrickson does it both pitching and with the bat. Would've been nice to have another inning or two from him, but I'd rather he come out after 5 IP w/ 2R than go 6 IP w/ 4R.

Uggla wants his big money contract. He's close to halfway to his HR total last season. And that HR tonight was the winning run. He really deserves a lot more respect on this board (and everywhere else).

It's a Tuesday, and first place or not, Arizona is not gonna be a huge draw. And we're also talking first place in May. Not to diminish the accomplishment at all, but if we're talking a first place team in late August or September that might also make a difference.

I know it should be seen as a big game, but to expect good attendance is to be in denial of the long standing reality. And everything that sucks about playing at Joe Robbie still sucks. Even the Hanley signing and the new Stadium deal can't change that at all. And if anything, people probably figure they can see Hanley some other time, since he'll be around for a while now.

I am aware of the stadium situation and all, trust me I know. I don't expect south FLA to treat these games like a playoff game where we would miraculously have 60K fans show up. But at the very least after all the recent press I would have thought a small bump in attendance was in order. Also, the fact that you say the Dbacks are not a draw speaks to the knowledge of baseball in SouthFLA. The DBacks are a 1st PLACE team and SHOULD be a very good draw. Bottom line is the Marlins are an axciting team to see and more people should be going to support them. No excuses... I am not upset at anyone on this forum, obviously I know all of us are fans and support the team any way we can. But I am just saying the way I feel about this situation, I guess it just irks me that I do not have the ability to go see them play anytime I want and I have to sit at home and watch them with the stadium so empty!

It's not about expecting the opponent to draw. The Marlins themselves should be drawing a crowd no matter who we play- fans should be coming to see THEM, not the opposing team. That's the attitude the fans need to take.

I openly admit to sitting there in the ninth inning playing solitaire on my phone so I didn't have to watch. (I snuck a peek or two :D )

Cantu made some really nice plays this evening. How people can fault Matt Treanor continues to be one of the mysteries I feel will never be solved here. Hanley looks just awful although that third out in the ninth was a thing of beauty. And I have to say I continue to be awestruck watching Lindstrom pitch. What was Omar Minaya thinking?

I thought tonight's crowd was up a bit from previous weeknight games especially since it isn't against a team like the Mets or Cubs who bring their own cheering sections along with the. This was pretty much a purely Marlins crowd tonight I would say it was a positive sign.

Also, the fact that you say the Dbacks are not a draw speaks to the knowledge of baseball in SouthFLA. The DBacks are a 1st PLACE team and SHOULD be a very good draw.

Should be doesn't matter. Besides people who don't come normally don't just come to see a team that's winning just for that reason. People come either to see "their" team (and few can say theirs is Arizona) or to see what they perceive as a big game, which is more often than not a rivarly.

People put a lot on NY, Philly, and Atl fans coming to those games, but more Marlins fans will come out to those games too.

I'll put it this way - suppose you're a Duke student, and you're deciding to go to either a game vs UNC or some other team which is first in another conference. I still guarantee you that people will be more excited and intent on going to the games vs UNC because of the rivalry.

It's not about expecting the opponent to draw. The Marlins themselves should be drawing a crowd no matter who we play- fans should be coming to see THEM, not the opposing team. That's the attitude the fans need to take.

I agree, but I still contend that they will draw more of their own fans when we are playing division rivals.

I openly admit to sitting there in the ninth inning playing solitaire on my phone so I didn't have to watch. (I snuck a peek or two :D )

Cantu made some really nice plays this evening. How people can fault Matt Treanor continues to be one of the mysteries I feel will never be solved here. Hanley looks just awful although that third out in the ninth was a thing of beauty. And I have to say I continue to be awestruck watching Lindstrom pitch. What was Omar Minaya thinking?

I thought tonight's crowd was up a bit from previous weeknight games especially since it isn't against a team like the Mets or Cubs who bring their own cheering sections along with the. This was pretty much a purely Marlins crowd tonight I would say it was a positive sign.

yea I was sitting there in and out of the game...but it was certainly a classic.

I agree...usually 10K+ means about 1000 at the stadium...it really looked like 7 or 8 K tonight, so it's a slight improvement

Positives

1. Kevin Gregg actually got a real save tonight...a rarity nowadays in MLB, where the save has become an overrated stat, imo.

2. Dan Uggla continues to rake.

3. Jeremy Hermida continues to work his magic...by now, I'm guessing this is a skill...the guy must be in double digits already this year, with BROKEN BAT hits. :lol

4. Lindstrom was bringin' the heater...very encouraging.

5. Getting the 1st game of the series...nice 1 run win.

Negatives

1. Reynel Pinto struggled...say what you want, but I believe he's been overworked.

2. Freddi Gonzalez' idiotic move in the 8th...no one says it b/c we won...but how do you explain leaving Pinto in to face Conor Jackson? Seriously, I think Freddi owes Gregg a late night snack tonight, at least.

Also, the fact that you say the Dbacks are not a draw speaks to the knowledge of baseball in SouthFLA. The DBacks are a 1st PLACE team and SHOULD be a very good draw.

Should be doesn't matter. Besides people who don't come normally don't just come to see a team that's winning just for that reason. People come either to see "their" team (and few can say theirs is Arizona) or to see what they perceive as a big game, which is more often than not a rivarly.

People put a lot on NY, Philly, and Atl fans coming to those games, but more Marlins fans will come out to those games too.

I'll put it this way - suppose you're a Duke student, and you're deciding to go to either a game vs UNC or some other team which is first in another conference. I still guarantee you that people will be more excited and intent on going to the games vs UNC because of the rivalry.

I agree, but I still contend that they will draw more of their own fans when we are playing division rivals.

agreed....but that is not my point. It should not take a "rivalry" game to draw fans considering all the recent news and events.

agreed....but that is not my point. It should not take a "rivalry" game to draw fans games considering all the recent news and events.

Fair enough, but it's not gonna happen overnight. Just keep winning.