Penny back in Teal?

carlos305

At the right price, I would love to have him back. When he is on the mound he can pitch with the best of them. Worst case scenario, IF we can get him cheap is he pitches half the year and if he gets injured it allows us a little more time to evaluate Tucker, Miller, Sanchez to see which one or two is really ready for the big leagues. A healthy Penny the whole year gives us a rotation that can go against any other rotation in the league.

Very dumb. And you aren't getting him at a discount when Kyle Loshe is given close to $50 million, and people like Silva, Wolf, Eaton, i.e. guys who do not have Penny's potential, get enormous FA pitcher deals routinely. Johnson, Nolasco, Volstad, Miller, and Anibal is more than enough, and when you trade off 3-5 of the arbitration guys, you get another friend for West and Thompson in AA and call it a day. Now if you want to sign RELIEVERS, that is a much better expenditure of money for this team. (Note, I do not believe Miller or Anibal should be considered for the pen at this time, which would give support to signing someone like Penny to take the 5th SP slot).

Very dumb. And you aren't getting him at a discount when Kyle Loshe is given close to $50 million, and people like Silva, Wolf, Eaton, i.e. guys who do not have Penny's potential, get enormous FA pitcher deals routinely. Johnson, Nolasco, Volstad, Miller, and Anibal is more than enough, and when you trade off 3-5 of the arbitration guys, you get another friend for West and Thompson in AA and call it a day. Now if you want to sign RELIEVERS, that is a much better expenditure of money for this team. (Note, I do not believe Miller or Anibal should be considered for the pen at this time, which would give support to signing someone like Penny to take the 5th SP slot).

My name is Rambo McDonald, and I approve this message.

Penny wasnt homegrown.

YES techinically he WAS. He was drafted by the D-Backs in 96', pitched for their minor league system for a few years, than was traded to Florida. He pitched half a season in our minor leagues where he learned a few things. In my opinion he is homegrown.

Really? I've never seen anyone so wrong think they are so right.

Edit: And no, I wouldnt mind having him back, but like others have said, for the right price.

Penny wasnt homegrown.

YES techinically he WAS. He was drafted by the D-Backs in 96', pitched for their minor league system for a few years, than was traded to Florida. He pitched half a season in our minor leagues where he learned a few things. In my opinion he is homegrown.

You can have whatever opinion you want, you would still be wrong.

With all the things this team needs, I don't think it would be wise to spend money on an injury prone starting pitcher....and starting pitching is something that SHOULD be a strength next year.

I think Ricky and JJ will be strong in the rotation, but beyond that , I don't believe that we are set as far as starting pitching goes. Now that's not to say that Penny fills our biggest need, because we don't have a reliable and consistent LHP in the rotation (or ready to join it), but I certainly don't think we are anything close to set with a solid 1-5 rotation. Penny would be good to have, even if for only half a season.

And if the price tag turns out to be really low, and we have such concerns about his health, we could give him a shot in the bullpen as well. I don't see any reason to think he couldn't perform well there.