Robertson needs to be released

I do not understand why Nate Robertson is still in the rotation. We send down Volstad for his inconsistencies but yet we still give this bum the ball every time. We have a better opportunity bringing up a pitcher from AAA then this guy. He makes a lot but it is not worrth it. We can never put together a strong winning streak with this guy in the rotation. cut our losses and release him!

You know that line dont cry over spilled milk? My line with Nate Robertson is... don't over milk that you already knew was probably gonna spill.

I'm not a fan of Nate's... but I still stand my ground by saying he's a .500 pitcher and a #5 starter... his role is to eat up innings and not be a complete wreck. Even with today's disaster... he's done his part this year. Its not like its our top of the line starters blowing up. Do I want him released? Yep... but he doesnt upset me that much. Bottom line, I dont expect much from him at all, never did. So I'll take whatever positives he's given us. He hasnt been completely useless as a whole throughout the first few months.

I have been saying Robertson is a typical 5th starter, so we shouldn't cast him aside, but how is Volstad doing? I would say bring back Volstad and stick him in the rotation, if he is doing better in the minors, and either move Nate to the BP or trade him.

Release him? No. We should try to squeeze some more value out of Nate, whether it be in the bullpen or as tradebait (as an additional piece?). While he has done poorly recently, relatively speaking, he is not 0-15 and has provided some solid outings for us. Not great outings, but some "Alright, we'll take it" outings. But now may be time for a change.

People need to stop spreading the fallacy that Robertson is an innings eater. He hasn't gone above six innings except for in one start- where he went exactly 6.1.

He's no good, and if this team has any aspirations of making the playoffs this should have been his last start for us. Actually, his last start should have been the one right before the AS break.

His ERA is 5.47 which if im seeing correctly is the worst in the league where pitchers have at least 1 IP per team game....second to last is 5.22. That is not a typical 5th starter.

Yes it is, the problem is that you are only looking at qualified starters. Most 5th guys don't qualified, mostly because most don't stick in the rotation, only to be replaced by someone else equally terrible. Only 6 teams have 5 qualified starters (Us, ChiSox, Twins, Yanks, Pads, Rays).

Though he's not the worst, there are 5 guys worse than him that are qualified

Player               ERA
Nick Blackburn      6.53
Chris Narveson      5.83
Kevin Millwood      5.77
Brian Bannister     5.65
Tim Wakefield       5.65

I'm not saying he's been great or even good, but 5th starters aren't.

Here are guys with at least 10 starts before today (and yeah, that's why Nate's ERA is lower than today's).

Rk                Player  ERA GS  Tm
1         Charlie Morton 9.35 10 PIT
2           Scott Kazmir 6.92 17 LAA
3           Dana Eveland 6.79 10 TOT
4         Nick Blackburn 6.53 18 MIN
5          Brad Bergesen 6.37 14 BAL
6            Joe Blanton 6.21 14 PHI
7     Ryan Rowland-Smith 6.18 17 SEA
8             Bud Norris 6.09 13 HOU
9             David Huff 6.04 13 CLE
10        Chris Narveson 5.83 15 MIL
11        Kevin Millwood 5.77 18 BAL
12           John Lannan 5.76 14 WSN
13           Rich Harden 5.68 13 TEX
14       Brian Bannister 5.65 19 KCR
15         Tim Wakefield 5.65 15 BOS
16         Rick Porcello 5.63 14 DET
17      Dontrelle Willis 5.62 13 TOT
18           Manny Parra 5.52 10 MIL
19       Todd Wellemeyer 5.52 11 SFG
20         Craig Stammen 5.50 16 WSN
21         Scott Feldman 5.48 19 TEX
22           Kyle Davies 5.45 18 KCR
23             Zach Duke 5.38 15 PIT
24      Justin Masterson 5.31 18 CLE
25         Kevin Correia 5.22 18 SDP
26          Brian Matusz 5.21 19 BAL
27           Scott Baker 5.15 19 MIN
28          Jeff Francis 5.14 11 COL
29       Wandy Rodriguez 5.11 19 HOU
30        Nate Robertson 5.10 17 FLA

This has nothing to do with chemistry. And you absolutely trade him or make him a LOOGY before you consider releasing him at all. And he's only making (a prorated share) of $400k.

Robertson is bad...against everyone. Why do you even want him in the bullpen? He's terrible.

This has nothing to do with chemistry. And you absolutely trade him or make him a LOOGY before you consider releasing him at all. And he's only making (a prorated share) of $400k.

Robertson is bad...against everyone. Why do you even want him in the bullpen? He's terrible.

Well, some of us said the same about Hendrickson and he had a 3.03 ERA out of the pen (and was pretty good out of the pen the next year too).

Well, some of us said the same about Hendrickson and he had a 3.03 ERA out of the pen (and was pretty good out of the pen the next year too).

That's why I want to recall Volstad or West or RVH, a starting pitcher and put Nate in the bullpen. Marinez really shouldn't be up here anyways, he has great stuff but isn't really fully developed.