2011 NFL Offseason Thread

dim

With Orton, we're a better team. But are we really a much better team once we get him? I think it improves our win loss record maybe 1 or 2 wins.

And hell no, the Dolphins are A LOT farther away from the playoffs than just needing a QB and RB. This team has major major issues. We aren't fielding a winning team next season. Kyle Orton is a better quarterback than Henne, but he's not a top 10 QB. I'd put him in the same category as Ryan Fitzpatrick. They are both really nice QB's to have for a couple of years, but you don't want to be relying on either of these guys to guide you into and through the playoffs. If everybody is content with riding a slightly above average QB for a few years, fine. But I'm not too thrilled about all this Orton to the Dolphins talk.

You don't need a stud QB when you have talent across the board. You just need one who can move the ball downfield and not make foolish mistakes. In 2009 if we had Orton at QB we would have made the playoffs. Last season our QB and running game were horrible while our defense was good. Orton is a nice upgrade over Henne and has experience with Marshall. With Bradshaw they would have done a good job addressing the running game by drafting Thomas and signing Bradshaw who was second in the league with 13 20+ yard rushes last season.

4 out of 5 O-line positions are well taken care of with Long, Incognito, Pouncey, Carey.

The only holes on defense are a pass rushing D-lineman, an inside linebacker next to Dansby, and a FS.

The Dolphins would win 10+ games this season.

You are a typical, delusional Dolphins fan. Way too big of a homer to see a team for what it really is in front of you.

And now, we wouldn't have magically went from 7-9 to 11-5 under Kyle Orton. Stop kidding yourself with that one.

That's your opinion. I guess we'll just have to wait and see who was right at the end of the season. I'm not going to get into an insult contest with you over who knows more about the game of football.

Best of luck.

My Seahawks let Hasselbeck go and acquired a scrub QB that can hopefully somehow turn it around.

Tavaris Jackson.

More importantly it looks like the Sidney Rice sweepstakes have gone to the Seahawks as well, as someone tweeted he must only pass a physical in order to be acquired by the Seahawks!

EDIT: Nevermind Matt Leinart himself confirmed he is still weighing his options.

Sidney Rice to Seattle

Great signing.

Of course it is!

Seaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahawksssssssssssss!

If he can finally stay healthy of course.

Well at least he will have the familiarity of Tavaris Jackson throwing him the ball not really pumped on that note.

QB situation will most likely be addressed long term in next year's draft hopefully we don't follow Arizona's path of QB's following Kurt Warner.

Never been a big fan of his just because he was hyped so much coming out of college and has never lived up to it.

I don't know about that, but I'm not high on him because I'm worried he might be a system RB, as in USC's offense was so good you could plug anyone into it they'll look like a superstar. Leinart apparently is that.

Orton doesn't excite me. I want Luck. But if these deals happen, that probably won't.

Reggie Bush traded to Miami as long as he redoes his contract.

Never been a big fan of his just because he was hyped so much coming out of college and has never lived up to it. Still, he's a homerun threat and versatile.

EDIT: Would take Bradshaw or Sproles over him in a heartbeat.

I like Reggie Bush a lot, but he isn't a feature back. They would be better off increasing Bradshaw's offer since he is a 300 carry back. I wonder if they could still sign Bradshaw? He would be a major upgrade over Ronnie Brown and Ricky Williams.

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!

Love the Bush signing. Love it, love it, love it. Sure, he's never proven to be a good runner, but I love just how athletic Reggie Bush is. That is what I was talking about when I said I wanted some excitement in the offense. Bush brings that (even if he'll run sideways most of the time). Now we also have the punt return game fixed as well.

Seriously, why can't we bring in Young and just recreate the offense from the 2005 Rose Bowl?

Skip Bayless and Jemele(sp?) Hill are idiots for thinking Bush will be the Dolphins primary back. Daniel Thomas is going to be our workhorse back with Reggie Bush being the speed to his power. Way to do your research.

As much as I havn't been impressed with Bush's career, I'd take a running game with a 6'0" 230 pound RB who can carry the ball 200+ times and averaged over 5.0 ypc in one of the best football conferences in college and a very fast RB who has been the best at coming out of the backfield and catching passes since entering the league.

I just wish we signed Bradshaw. Bush isn't a very good player. His acquisition doesn't change the fact that our running game is still a question mark.

Does this trade mean they aren't going Bradshaw?

A Bush/Thomas backfield is a huge question mark. However, it probably can't be worse than last year.

Bradshaw wanted Deangelo Williams money (aka $30 million guaranteed). That would've put the Dolphins dangerously close to the cap limit, and lets be honest, Bradshaw is a really good RB, but he's not $30 million guaranteed at nearly $10 million per year good. Bush, at 2 years, $10 million comes relatively cheap, with explosive ability, a still extremely high ceiling, and somebody that we can cut our losses with easily with if he fails to perform.

Given the circumstances, it's a really nice signing. I understand the concern, but Ireland and Co. are on an extremely short leash. Anything short of a playoff spot and they're all fired. This team needs to take boom or bust chances on players like Bush and Young and Harvey Dahl (well actually, Dahl is just a safe, nice choice at guard), because if they go safe and end up with an 8-8 or 9-7 season, people will be fired. Bush is the right business move.

Bradshaw is definitely worth the money he was asking for. The man is a very good back, that is 25 and proven. With him, you know our ground game is going to improve, and improve dramatically.

Relying on Bush and Thomas is just too risky. I really doubt we improve that much because Bush just isn't a running back. He's a player that can do multiple things, but he's not a very good running back.

I just wish we signed Bradshaw. Bush isn't a very good player. His acquisition doesn't change the fact that our running game is still a question mark.

Does this trade mean they aren't going Bradshaw?

A Bush/Thomas backfield is a huge question mark. However, it probably can't be worse than last year.

I don't think we are. Tough to tell at this point.

Reggie Bush traded to Miami as long as he redoes his contract.

Never been a big fan of his just because he was hyped so much coming out of college and has never lived up to it. Still, he's a homerun threat and versatile.

EDIT: Would take Bradshaw or Sproles over him in a heartbeat.

The bold is true and thus you deserve a "like".

It's risky but good luck with Bush, I suppose i will cheer for him more now that he is on the Dolphins.

Seahawks 1st tier, Dolphins 10th tier, the rest of the NFL (don't care)

My takes on....

Kyle Orton: This is the first QB that the Dolphins would field in the past decade other than what failed out of Culpepper and the miraculous comeback season by Chad 'paperboy' Pennington that has a name to him. Yeah, he's not that great. The Dolphins issues at QB though have far surpassed Kyle Orton. At least the guy is a proven starter, unlike the likes of Chad Henne who was just insufferable to watch. If and when the deal becomes official, hopefully Kyle Orton can draw some chemistry with Brandon Marshall and get him kick-started a year late in Miami. Orton might not be an all-star QB, but he's at least top-15. Something we haven't had, good step forward.

Reggie Bush: Quite honestly he's just a small improvement over Ronnie Brown... but this likely means goodbye to Ronnie Brown seeing as they're a similar style player. Who knows, we might see Brown back though. He's not the DeAngelo Williams we missed out on, that's for sure. But we really do need the Special Teams aspect brought in by Reggie Bush, which the Dolphins lacked so much. Furthermore, he adds a dynamic that Ronnie Brown didn't really have... the ability to be a great short receiver as well.

These two moves alone are not enough to make the Dolphins look serious though. Better be lots more coming in terms of offense, and adding to the defense a bit more can't hurt.