Jorge Soler Free Agent Thread

CyggyMarlin

http://www.mlbtrader...free-agent.html

Jorge Soler has been declared a free agent and is now eligible to sign with any team, reports Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports (on Twitter). The 20-year-old Cuban outfielder will be subject to the spending restrictions imposed by the new collective bargaining agreement as of July 2nd, but he can sign for any amount prior to then.

The Indians, Red Sox, Phillies, Yankees, Marlins, Blue Jays, and Astros are said to have interest in Soler, and I'm sure many other clubs will get involved as well. Back in March we heard bogus reports that the Cubs had agreed to a contract with the outfielder. Two GMs speculated that the bidding would exceed five years and $15-20MM back in February.

Signing a big time Cuban star would be good in more ways than one for this franchise right now.

cough cough... cespedes.. cough

You mean, Cespedes of the 755 OPS?

Soler is 6 years younger with less raw power. I am guessing he spends at least 3 years in the minors. That being said, you try to sign the guy.

What about Petersen and Cogs? Guess one gets traded and the other is 4th OF? And doesn't Petey lead the team in OF assists? Or is that Stanton?

There are better players out there, so yes both should be gone in favor of better players. Soler certainly from all accounts actually projects higher than Cespedes as a prospect, but he does need some minor league time. I would hope they would make a big run at him.

Apparently, his agent claims that he already has offers of $25 mill on the table.

Does it make sense to stash this guy in the minors (for one or more years) to develop him? The longer he's in the minors, the more he costs per year of MLB. Maybe he's a Stanton, maybe he's a bust. Or something in between.

I've traded financial markets for 40 years. You know, where there are some things that are quantifiable and can be relied upon. I don't envy Beinfest, et al having to arrive at some multi-million dollar figure to make a one-shot bid on a total pig-in-a-poke.

You pays your money, you takes your chances...

Kinda thin on OF depth right now. But 2-3 years when he is ready? Probably not so thin. I find it hard to justify spending that kind of $$$ on someone that is that far away from the majors just because your depth is thin at this time. You do that through trades. And trade bait we do have. Add in the history of this FO to move position players around to better fit their needs and signing this guy just dosen't seem wise.

I doubt they make a big push towards him. Probably more like a "See, we tried" type offer.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.