Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Marlins interview Mike Redmond

Featured Replies

Buerhle sorta came to Miami because of Guillen ... i'm thinking that he's regretting his decision considering how bad this franchise is ran.

 

 

Buehrle should be thanking the baseball gods that he has the privilege to play on the same team as Giancarlo

The players on this team we should be building around are Stanton and Reyes. Then you have the cost-controlled pitchers/players. Turner, Eovaldi, Brantly, Bonifacio, Ruggiano, Cishek. See which of those guys stick/what roles they should be in in '13. You have prospects like Fernandez and Yelich likely to be ready by '14.

 

Those are the guys we're building around right now.

 

Hopefully we can get good value for JJ's expiring contract and some team takes on Buehrle's salary. Nolasco/Buck off the books after '13.

I hope the Marlins unload both Johnson and Buehrle in the offseason for near major league ready talent. f*** what the common fan thinks.

 

It's not worth paying Buehrle that much money when the team is in the middle of rebuilding mode.

Have they said they are rebuilding? I don't believe they have, just that payroll will go down. Like the Yankees going down as well.

It doesn't matter what they say or don't say. It's very obvious that the team is very far from competing in 2013 and who knows what will happen by 2014 since they don't really have much of a core intact. There's no reason to pay Buehrle that much money when the team isn't contending.

Bottom line is that they need to choose a direction. Either full on rebuild or all in. Sitting where they are right now wont do sh*t, and chances are they don't have the money to buy a team.

 

So that leaves one smart option.

I don't know if I can really say that we have no shot at competing in 2013, but the cards are stacked against us to do so. A lot will depend on who else we decide to unload and what other pieces we may add.

BJ Upton and Jhonny Peralta.

Make it happen, Adminfest.

Also, Kyle Lohse.

 

I hope we do the complete opposite of that.

 

 

That would be

Josh Hamilton, Alex Rodriguez

Make it happen, Mikill

Also, Zach Greinke

 

And I agree with you Erick

Have they said they are rebuilding? I don't believe they have, just that payroll will go down. Like the Yankees going down as well.

 

 

Honestly, is it better to trot out a mish mash of merely decent veterans and not likely to perform young talent (with one superstar young talent thrown in) and not get anywhere or is it better to try and put some sort of plan in place for a talented ball club at some point, even if it is three years from now?

 

I'm not necessarily hoping they rebuild, but it would be nice to commit to something.

BJ Upton and Jhonny Peralta.

Make it happen, Adminfest.

Also, Kyle Lohse.

 

 

You thought Hanley Ramirez was bad? Upton's real offensive contributions day in and day out have been almost nothing except for maybe one hot month for years now. He plays nice defense, but it still isn't worth what he is going to command on the free agent market.

 

Cody Ross has better career numbers and anybody who thinks that making him the centerpiece to revitalizing this lineup would be laughed off this board.

looks like Ausmus isn't interested.

 

I ran into Redmond quite a few times after Marlins games back in the day at a sports bar he used to go to. I remember asking him what was up with Beckett one night after he got shelled in the season opener and he sat down & talked baseball for a good 20 minutes. Real decent guy. That has zero to do with whether he'd be a good coach or not but yeah I'd root for him, why not. Not sure who would be my first pick, we'll see who else they interview.

We need to make sure he is comfortable being fired, a key ingredient for any manager having success in Miami.

Upton won't be expensive at all.

 

 

If he wouldn't then he would be returning to the Rays. Estimates I've seen have him earning upwards of ten million per year. Maybe that's not expensive to you, but it's more than I would pay for a .240 hitter.

looks like Ausmus isn't interested.

 

I ran into Redmond quite a few times after Marlins games back in the day at a sports bar he used to go to. I remember asking him what was up with Beckett one night after he got shelled in the season opener and he sat down & talked baseball for a good 20 minutes. Real decent guy. That has zero to do with whether he'd be a good coach or not but yeah I'd root for him, why not. Not sure who would be my first pick, we'll see who else they interview.

 

 

Agree. He's a pretty good guy and connects well with the players. He also hasn't made a name for himself yet, will probably make a nice FO puppet because of that, and will come at a low cost. Seems like the fit they are saying they are looking for.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I haven't ready any comments from anyone within the organization about rebuilding OR cutting payroll. Honestly, I would be really surprised to see Loria give up that quickly. If you think trading away talent mid-season would damage the image of this franchise, not replacing that talent would be the nail in the coffin.

 

This team isn't that far from competing. A full year of Brantley behind the plate platooning with Buck is going to make a huge difference offensively. A healthy LoMo should be able to do better than what production we got from first base this year, and I'm assuming he could do MUCH better. Bonifacio should be a wash from Infante at second. Reyes just needs to be himself. Left field we can only hope Ruggiano comes in and has a season close to what he had, and in right a healthy Giancarlo is irreplacable.

 

The only glaring holes offensively are third base and center field. There's not much on the market in terms of 3B, who could fill that hole realistically? In center field, what if this team could pick up a Michael Bourn or B.J. Upton?

 

Regarding the rotation, Buehrle may be over paid but he's the definition of consistency and that's what you need to be successful in this league. Nolasco is just fine in the back of the rotation throwing his 200 innings and toward the end of the year was much improved. JJ may never be the same, but he may rebound. Jacob Turner showed a hell of a lot of promise, maybe capable of being a #2-3 starter in the National League. If they go out on the market and pick up a big arm it could be the difference, this team really could go out and compete. I think Eovaldi has a lot of potential, but tires easily and could be better off in the bullpen.

 

Am I crazy? I feel like rebuilding at this point would be a waste of time. We have enough talent in the dugout right now that it's worth giving this team another shot at performing and building around this core, at least for ONE more year. Worst case scenario you can sell again at the break and rebuild next year... I feel like selling on JJ now would be selling way too low, give him another chance to build value. And maybe Buehrle will be able to blind other teams of his backloaded contract a lot easier at the deadline than now, ala Hanley Ramirez-style.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I haven't ready any comments from anyone within the organization about rebuilding OR cutting payroll. Honestly, I would be really surprised to see Loria give up that quickly. If you think trading away talent mid-season would damage the image of this franchise, not replacing that talent would be the nail in the coffin.

 

This team isn't that far from competing. A full year of Brantley behind the plate platooning with Buck is going to make a huge difference offensively. A healthy LoMo should be able to do better than what production we got from first base this year, and I'm assuming he could do MUCH better. Bonifacio should be a wash from Infante at second. Reyes just needs to be himself. Left field we can only hope Ruggiano comes in and has a season close to what he had, and in right a healthy Giancarlo is irreplacable.

 

The only glaring holes offensively are third base and center field. There's not much on the market in terms of 3B, who could fill that hole realistically? In center field, what if this team could pick up a Michael Bourn or B.J. Upton?

 

Regarding the rotation, Buehrle may be over paid but he's the definition of consistency and that's what you need to be successful in this league. Nolasco is just fine in the back of the rotation throwing his 200 innings and toward the end of the year was much improved. JJ may never be the same, but he may rebound. Jacob Turner showed a hell of a lot of promise, maybe capable of being a #2-3 starter in the National League. If they go out on the market and pick up a big arm it could be the difference, this team really could go out and compete. I think Eovaldi has a lot of potential, but tires easily and could be better off in the bullpen.

 

Am I crazy? I feel like rebuilding at this point would be a waste of time. We have enough talent in the dugout right now that it's worth giving this team another shot at performing and building around this core, at least for ONE more year. Worst case scenario you can sell again at the break and rebuild next year... I feel like selling on JJ now would be selling way too low, give him another chance to build value. And maybe Buehrle will be able to blind other teams of his backloaded contract a lot easier at the deadline than now, ala Hanley Ramirez-style.

 

 

I agree. I don't know if we will compete for the playoffs next season but I do hope they will at least try to field a playoff caliber team next year.

Being a Marlins fan is tough...

 

In 2006, we were rebuilding for, what people thought would be, 2009. Then in 2009, it was for 2012. Now in 2012, it's for what? This perpetual rebuilding sh*t has to end with a good team sometime...

for christs sake will you people get off BJ Upton's jock...he's awful with a bat...DO NOT WANT..we need people who can HIT the ball..not more of the same .230 avg guys who don't get on base enough.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.