Marcell vs. Marisick: Look at Me, I Can Be Center Field.

SongInTheAir

http://www.therunnersports.com/2014/03/25/fish-outfield-miami-marlins-outfield-shaping/

Who do you guys think wins the job? I know this discussion has been going on in other threads, but with Opening Day less than a week away, I thought it would make sense to put everything together. With Koehler looking like the fifth starter, CF is the last significant battle left.

Anecdotal, but Ozuna twice watched a strike 3 fastball right down the middle today without batting an eyelash. Dude has no business on a mlb roster right now.

He also drove in the go ahead run with a double to deep left center. I have no issue with starting Marisnick (he's certainly earned it), but Ozuna does provide a more prototypical middle of the lineup bat.

They both belong in the minors. The hope is that Marisnick is productive for a few months in AAA and comes and holds the job for good in June.

I think this is it. They don't want to mess up Marsinick's service time like they did with Ozuna so they'll let him stew in AA for a few months and if Ozuna is doing poorly they'll call up Jake.

I mean they might as well just platoon Bogusevic and Johnson for now, since we're not trying to win this year anyway. I agree that both Marisnick and Ozuna need more time in the minors, and we could easily just give them that now, but it's pretty clear from most indications that Ozuna will at least get a chance to start the year in CF.

I just don't get it. Ozuna has no minor league time above high A ball. That kind of jump is reserved for mega prospects or advanced college hitters. We're not talking about Jose Fernandez here. Hell, even Yelich got at half-season of DoubleA.

I guess he did get some winter league time in after thumb surgery but still...

I just don't get it. The guy has no minor league time above high A ball. He's a nice looking prospect but we're not talking about Jose Fernandez or Yelich here. Even Yelich got at least a half season of AA.

It's this team's mentality that saving *some* face is more important than their long-term prospects. Fernandez (while it may have been successful) last year was a perfect example of that. They lost a year of him and Ozuna of them AND missed out on the #1 overall pick this year just to lose 100 games instead of 110.

I mean they might as well just platoon Bogusevic and Johnson for now, since we're not trying to win this year anyway

Try and convince them they're not trying to win. I have to admit, the optimism this team has is different from years past. I hate to say the culture has changed, because that's what the front office says, but it's true... You can feel the difference.

I am actually wondering if Ozuna has been getting the playing time the past few days so he can put up or go down. Maybe Marisnick has earned the job with his play, unless Ozuna has a quick turnaround... Which he clearly is not doing.