April 3, 201412 yr I'm pretty convinced that Turner sucks. At the very least, he has no business being on a big league mound right now.
April 3, 201412 yr Nice comeback victory, but Turner isn't doing himself any favors. He's looking more and more like a 4/5 than a 2/3 as he was touted.
April 3, 201412 yr Nice comeback victory, but Turner isn't doing himself any favors. He's looking more and more like a 4/5 than a 2/3 as he was touted. Turner won't be with the big league team the whole year. He is honestly that bad. He's been terrible for awhile now.
April 3, 201412 yr Turner won't be with the big league team the whole year. He is honestly that bad. He's been terrible for awhile now. Agreed. Hand looked much better than Turner in spring and in his few innings. I'd imagine he takes over soon enough. Looks like the Tigers completely ganked us again it seems.
April 3, 201412 yr Meanwhile AJ Ramos looks unhittable. We really got some sweet bullpen depth/talent right now.
April 3, 201412 yr When was the last time we were 2 games over .500? My late grandfather's bday, June 12, 2012 with a loss vs. Boston. We became 32-30 that night.
April 3, 201412 yr Also, Marmol has pitched 2 innings without a walk. what?!?!?!?! I bet the Cubs fan base hates us even more now.
April 3, 201412 yr I bet the Cubs fan base hates us even more now. Eh they got bonifacio so we'll call it even for now
April 3, 201412 yr Eh they got bonifacio so we'll call it even for now Hey you leave Boni alone. He's hitting .688 at the moment with four stolen bags.
April 3, 201412 yr Hey you leave Boni alone. He's hitting .688 at the moment with four stolen bags. It's not the first time he started hot....and we all know how that turned out.
April 3, 201412 yr Hey you leave Boni alone. He's hitting .688 at the moment with four stolen bags. I was complementing him!
April 4, 201412 yr What's really great to see, especially early on in the season is that this team is hungry and doesn't quit when they fall behind. I know it's early but if they keep that mentality during the dog days of the season they could surprise a lot of people.
April 4, 201412 yr Hopefully Koehler give us a chance to win tomorrow. Still a bit concern about Turner and Alvarez though. We'll see what happens in their next outings
April 4, 201412 yr Hopefully Koehler give us a chance to win tomorrow. Still a bit concern about Turner and Alvarez though. We'll see what happens in their next outings He's kind of surprised me with his stuff so far this year. Granted, it was spring training, but he may actually end up as the third best pitcher in the staff over Alvarez and Turner. He can make people miss and get strike outs. Alvarez can at least get people to get grounders when he's on. Turner doesn't really have any plus pitch.
April 4, 201412 yr Alvarez is better than he showed Wednesday, I'm not too worried about him. Keep in mind the Rox lineup isn't a push over.
April 4, 201412 yr We should remember that Alvarez is turning 24 in two weeks and has already thrown over 300 innings of MLB ball, likely 450 by the end of the year. Turner is still only 22 years old. We talk about guys like Brian Flynn, Anthony Descalfani, and Adam Conley in terms of prospect and potential, and yet Turner is younger than all of these pitchers, and Alvarez is the same age as all three of these pitchers (strangely enough, Alvarez and Descalfani were both born April 18th, 1990, and Brian Flynn was born April 19th, 1990. Yeah, it was a bit strange when I looked it up.). Let's try and remember how young all these pitchers are. While I've got concerns about the stuff Turner has and Alvarez hasn't been OMG amazing since joining the majors, most of our starting rotation is the same age as guys who are currently starting in AAA. Hell, Koehler is the most experienced pitcher technically when it comes to years around baseball. Sometimes we all forget just how rushed Jacob Turner was to the majors. He's a guy that would benefit TREMENDOUSLY from another year or two in the minors. Alvarez is a guy I think will figure things out in the majors. It's amazing our entire starting rotation outside of Koehler is under 24 years old, and that is the strongest part of our team right now.
April 4, 201412 yr With all these closers stinking it up so far, would have to imagine Cishek's value is going through the roof at this point. His 2 ks this year have been lefties as well. Got to move him to a desperate contender at the deadline. Replaceable and one of the teams only assets to acquire some offense.
April 4, 201412 yr I would be lying if I said I have any idea how Turner will turn out. I have no idea, he could be a massive failure or a decent major leaguer. Alvarez... I am seriously confident in him. Just a great arm, should be able to throw 200 innings, tons of movement. I like him lots.
April 4, 201412 yr Turner will be fine in a 4/5th starter role and that is all that we really need him to be. I do however wish we would have shipped him out for another bat.
April 4, 201412 yr We should remember that Alvarez is turning 24 in two weeks and has already thrown over 300 innings of MLB ball, likely 450 by the end of the year. Turner is still only 22 years old. yep, point taken.
April 4, 201412 yr yep, point taken. Sure, but what worries me about turner is we're seeing absolutely 0 progress. In fact, I'd say he's gotten worse since we first got him from the Tigers. He still walks guys. He stills throws meatballs right down the middle. He also has a mythical mid 90s fastball that I have yet to ever see. For instance, yesterday he topped out at 93.3.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.