we need a power bat for next year

he's in the minors. His name is Ozuna.

They need a veteran right hander to platoon with Bour and a good veteran 4th OF. Let's be honest here, the position players are otherwise set and are pretty good if they stay healthy. 

Their big acquisition needs to be the best SP money can buy

I love this but did you forget about Ichiro?  Dude will be around next year if he has less than 75 hits to go.

he's a free agent, so those guys are just what they have under organizational control.

ichiro is really bad. I am sympathetic for his quest for 3,000, but that's not a move a contending team makes. Also, you would assume way less AB for him here next year as it's unlikely Stanton and yelich are this injured again, or Ozuna is demoted because he's fat and they are looking to delay arbitration. It's just not a match in my eyes, and would be a stupid marketing stunt which hurts the team 

he's a free agent, so those guys are just what they have under organizational control.

ichiro is really bad. I am sympathetic for his quest for 3,000, but that's not a move a contending team makes. Also, you would assume way less AB for him here next year as it's unlikely Stanton and yelich are this injured again, or Ozuna is demoted because he's fat and they are looking to delay arbitration. It's just not a match in my eyes, and would be a stupid marketing stunt which hurts the team 

We're not anywhere near contending next year unless we add FAs, which we know is not happening. The current rotation is not going to cut it. Alvarez is probably going to miss until 2017 with this latest surgery, so you're looking at Fernandez, Cosart, Koehler, Urena, Nicolino or something like that. Fernandez is the only pitcher we have who we know will be consistent. Koehler is alright but he's a backend starter. The others are all question marks.

We're not anywhere near contending next year unless we add FAs, which we know is not happening. The current rotation is not going to cut it. Alvarez is probably going to miss until 2017 with this latest surgery, so you're looking at Fernandez, Cosart, Koehler, Urena, Nicolino or something like that. Fernandez is the only pitcher we have who we know will be consistent. Koehler is alright but he's a backend starter. The others are all question marks.

how do we know it's not happening?  they added last offseason (and were very close to getting Shields).  the guys they picked up didn't pan out, which happens. 

they need two starting pitchers and a platoon option with Bour. Once they trade Koehler and Dunn payroll is around $57 million. 

Who they bring in will dictate if they will contend. It all revolves around spending and fixing those three problems with good players and not trying to do it cheap. They just saved $20, so you'd hope that is immediately reinvested and then some. 

they are closer than this years performance suggests. Let's be real, some good things are happening. Hech is a top 5 SS this year, Realmuto is great, Ramos and Capps massive breakouts, Gordon was not a fluke, Bour is unspectacularly solid, and Fernandez is healthy with no signs of long term issues. I suspect most of that is real and the OF will be closer to 2014 than 2015 next year. They get better really quickly with better SP.

i do agree with you through, Alvarez shouldn't be counted on and viewed as a bonus. Fernandez, a top of the rotation veteran SP, a middle rotation FA SP, cosart/phelps, and phelps/nicolino/urena should be the rotation. 

i agree that we're not AS horrid as this season would have some people believe.  I'd like to see Bour get the nod from here on out for the most part as he started out hot, then sucked as the league adjusted to him but he's been making adjustments back now for a bit.  i think he's an everyday guy.  he's not going to be an all-star but most teams aren't going to have all-stars at every position (which is what some people seem to think needs to happen for any team to complete).  as atrocious as the offense has been this season.  priority #1 going into the offseason is signing a legit #2 pitcher.  hell, i'd like to see a couple starting pitchers signed in reality but they do need a #2 in the worst way.  no more patchwork bullshit.  they need some bench bats, a couple good relievers and we're off to the races.

Here's hoping Jose isn't a repeat of JJ = (  i still have nightmares over how his career path turned

Interesting that they decided to send Telis down after all.  Not sure if they decided it was best to get him ABs in AAA rather than be the 3rd catcher or if they just wanted an extra arm after last night.  Still, I'm glad to see Chris Reed get a shot.  He's pitched well since we got him...maybe he can be a good lefty out of the pen and replace Dunn next year.

Also, good to give Conley at shot in the rotation.  He's been great in AAA.  

Orrr he could be ready for next season like they said. No one knows exactly what is going on with Alvarez.

i wouldnt say at this point its unlikely stanton avoids the DL.  Its kinda an annual thing for him.